What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - JayZed

I'm buying a second-hand car, looking at a relatively recent but not brand new electric model. There is a 2020 Kia e-Niro for sale at a good price (by today's standards), much cheaper than other equivalent models.

The dealership has advised that the reason that the price is so low is because the previous owner didn't get it serviced in line with the warranty requirements, so there is no manufacturer's warranty (normally 7 years for Kia). Instead it would come with a 12-month warranty.

I am planning to get a full inspection done before deciding whether to buy the car.

I've looked at the cost of a third-party warranty after the first year, and the cost over four years would be less than the price of another similar Kia within warranty, but I know that third-party warranties are usually not as good as manufacturer warranties.

Any views on whether or not this is a sensible thing to do?

Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - madf

A problem waiting to happen.

Are you feeling lucky?

Do you plan to sell it in 5 years? If yes, the resale value will plummet

"Much cheaper " should be 25%

Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - RT

The 7-year warranty is a big part of the value of a Kia - without that it would need to be very cheap indeed.

Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - Gibbo_Wirral

If the previous owner couldn't be bothered to service it properly it makes you wonder what else they neglected.

My experience with Kia warranties has been superb - they even replaced a drop link on a 7 year old car FOC - something I would have put money on being a "wear and tear" item.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 12/04/2022 at 12:49

Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - JayZed

Thanks all of you for your responses - I thought that this was probably the case. Will act accordingly and stump up the extra for one with warranty intact.

Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - craig-pd130

As others have stated, I'd definitely avoid that car. It smells fishy.

If the car was genuinely good, then I'm sure the dealer could have inspected it, brought the servicing up to date and arranged with Kia UK that the 7-year warranty should be honoured even though the first owner was lax. After all, it's only 2 years old.

Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - Crickleymal

As others have stated, I'd definitely avoid that car. It smells fishy.

If the car was genuinely good, then I'm sure the dealer could have inspected it, brought the servicing up to date and arranged with Kia UK that the 7-year warranty should be honoured even though the first owner was lax. After all, it's only 2 years old.

I'm on a Kia forum and the general consensus there is that whilst the warranty is very good Kia will scrutinise the service record with a fine tooth comb. If there's anything wrong especially if it relates to the fault then it's a refusal. I really doubt if they would honour a warranty if the servicing wasn't done to their standards. You can get it done independently but you have to have records proving every drop of oil, nut and bolt etc are to OEM standards.

Kia e-Niro - Buying used car without manufacturer's warranty - Brit_in_Germany

You need to look into the market for third party warranties for electric cars in some detail, I would suggest. There are some expensive components which can go wrong, like the inverter, and you need to check what is covered and what is excluded very carefully.

Maybe worth contacting Kia to see if there is a way to get back into the Kia warranty scheme as an electric car doesn't really need the regular servicing of an ICE one.