What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Have I bought a dodgy car from a trader. - Darren Hibbert

Hi.

I'm very worried. I bought a car from a trader with a proper premesis in Lincolnshire on Saturday. After paying the money, he then decided to tell me that he had no V5 for the car as the last owner had not dropped it off. He said I could tax it by going to the post office with a V62 form to request a new V5. Today I went post office and it was rejected, so they told me to contact DVLA. DVLA told me that he should have given me V5 and that I would have to apply by post to have the car SORN first and then request a new V5 at a cost of £25. They also said I cannot drive the car and it must be SORN until I receive new paperwork which could take 6 weeks!!!!! I contacted the trader who apologised and said that he had received his new SORN form today even though he sold it to me on Saturday, he said he would contact the last owner today but I've heard nothing back, now he is ignoring me. What is he hiding?

Bought a car I can't use for 6 weeks. Very angry.

Ford Mondeo - Have I bought a dodgy car from a trader. - sammy1

Threaten to reject or reject the car.. Contact trading standards for advice. A really stupid situation to be left in

Ford Mondeo - Have I bought a dodgy car from a trader. - badbusdriver

If he is a proper trader, and it certainly sounds like it, you are entitled by law to reject the car. So go to the premises and tell him that he either provides you with a loan car (at no expense to you) until the Mondeo can be taxed, or you will exercise your legal right to reject it.

Ford Mondeo - Have I bought a dodgy car from a trader. - pd

There is no need to sorn it. It's not in your name. Sounds like it hasn't been put in trade status although I wonder if the post office is processing it correctly.

Tell the dealer to sort it. I suspect the car is fundamentally fine but the post office is being a jobs worth and it's not really your problem. The dealer should have sat on the car and waited for a v5 to come through.

Ford Mondeo - Have I bought a dodgy car from a trader. - Gibbo_Wirral

I agree with the above. Don't be funny with the seller (even though he needs to brush up on procedures), just tell him you need a vehicle on the road.