What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen C3 - Car value - Worth selling? - Eliska Opiolova
Bit of a long one here goes…

I was in an accident about a month ago which was my fault and had to pay an excess of 1.4k. It’s a 2016 Citroen C3 and I purchased it for 7k off finance nearly new.
I wanted to sell my car after paying off finance and get something nicer but now I’m on the fence about selling as I feel I’ve put too much money into the car and it would not be worth selling at this point.
Opinions on this? I was also contemplating doing some modifications on it to make it look nicer but don’t know how well that would go seeing as it’s not the nicest shape and more of a family car - plus my insurance will probably be through the roof after me accident. What would you do?
Citroen C3 - Car value - Worth selling? - Xileno

Have you checked what you insurance will go up to? It may not necessarily be a big a jump as you think, especially if you shop around.

If you make any modifications to the car then you will have to declare those and that sort of thing will put the premium up.

Citroen C3 - Car value - Worth selling? - bathtub tom

The only modifications I do to a car when selling are a damn good wash, bit of a polish and a good clean of the interior. Forget all these 'dashboard shine' and engine clean stuff.

Citroen C3 - Car value - Worth selling? - Terry W

I assume the money you spent on the car was to fix the damage, not improve it. That you have had an accident may even slightly reduce the resale value.

The money you have spent on the car is "sunk". Whatever you have spent has no practical impact on future decisions - it is emotion not financial logic.

Citroen C3 - Car value - Worth selling? - John F

From a 'head' point of view it almost always makes financial sense to carefully keep a car as long as possible to spread the capital investment over as many years as you can. Your six year old car will have done most of its depreciation by now. As an example, our family Focus estate bought at three years old for £7000 is now 21yrs old, and so has cost us in annual depreciation what some folk are prepared to shell out for less than a couple of month's PCP rental. As an extreme example, my Triumph TR7 DHC cost me £4250 when nine months old and is now 42 yrs old and, somewhat absurdly now classed as a 'historic vehicle', no longer requires the annual cost of VED and MoT.

However, the motor industry thrives on punters' 'heart' point of view. If this is your perspective, go ahead and support the automotive economy by buying something you behold as prettier. Remember, punters like us buy dear and sell cheap, car dealers buy cheap and sell dear - and no-one but yourself cares what your car looks like.

Citroen C3 - Car value - Worth selling? - Alby Back
The last part of your last sentence John, is absolutely the best thing for anyone to keep in mind.

The only person who has to like a car is it’s owner.
Citroen C3 - Car value - Worth selling? - Grenache

I'd definitely agree with that, if you can buy as new as you can afford, and look after it carefully, drive it sensibly, then it saves a lot in the long term.

Once the monthly payments are done make sure you put the same amount in the bank each month and use them towards any repairs you might have. You'd be surprised how much this will mount up to a good cash sum when you eventually have to replace the car.

Most of my cars have been bought nearly new and kept for a long time / high mileage. The cost of the occasional wheel bearing or shock absorber or even cambelt can be met from the savings and still have money left in the bank.

Don't count in routine servicing, brakes, tyres etc - you'd have to replace them regardless of whether you kept the car or bought nearly new, in due course.

My wife's Peugeot 206 was bought new in 2001 and lasted 19 years and 110,000 miles before succumbing to the 'corrosionvirus'. In that time we replaced the cambelt twice and two wheel bearings, apart from routine servicing.

I also has a Vectra from new as a company car which I bought from the leasing company at 3 years old. It was run for 12 years and 212,000 miles before I gave it to a family member. In that time it needed new wheel bearings & shock abosrbers which were less than what a typical monthly payment would have bene had I replaced the car.

My current Mazda 6 is now 10 years old and 172,000 miles and still got lots of life ahead, I hope!