What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - rog375

Looking for inspiration for what car to get.

A few years ago we went down do 1 car from 2. Current car is a 15 year old Lexus RX Hybrid which I've had for 7 years. Very comfortable, very quiet, moves when you put your foot down, but leisurely to pootle in. Given its age it has reached the stage where I don't think it's worth keeping up with the maintenance, especially now some pricey chassis related items are expected in the next 12 months.

Typical monthly mileage is 100 miles, as we both work from home full time.

However 6 times a year we drive 500 miles in a day, so need something comfortable and that can eat up the miles without tiring (us or the car!)

Two kids 7 and 18. Expect 18yr old won't be interested in many more family camping trips - we go one or two times a year and fill the boot to bursting usually. I'm also a DIYer house things, not cars) so a good boot and decent load area with seats down is handy.

Must be getting old as I've been wondering about an estate car or even MPV, maybe.

No diesels. Don't like the smell, or the fuel price, and don't do enough miles to care about mpg. Also doubt a diesel will have much resale value 4 years from now, as EV take-up is gaining pace.

Plan is to get something petrol or hybrid that will be fairly low hassle/maintenance for the next 3-4 years, then I'll probably go EV (new) at that point.

No preference of auto vs manual.

Id guess something 7ish years old would fit the criteria, but what??

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - badbusdriver

especially now some pricey chassis related items are expected in the next 12 months.

Can you expand on this?.

I ask, because depending on just what you mean by it, I'd definitely keep your current car. Mechanically those things are about the most reliable vehicles on the road, so if all we are talking about is dealing with some corrosion issues, it would make much more sense (to me) to have the work done and carry on using it till you go for an EV.

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - Engineer Andy

especially now some pricey chassis related items are expected in the next 12 months.

Can you expand on this?.

I ask, because depending on just what you mean by it, I'd definitely keep your current car. Mechanically those things are about the most reliable vehicles on the road, so if all we are talking about is dealing with some corrosion issues, it would make much more sense (to me) to have the work done and carry on using it till you go for an EV.

Indeed - unless there some really serious corrosion that will require several £0000 to fix, then it's far better to spend a reasonable amount on decent maintenance and the occasional bigger repair (e.g. clutch changes, new suspension parts, etc) rather than shell out well over £10k for a replacement car that the OP doesn't really know the entire history of (especially how it was driven). If looked after and the car driven sympathetically, any such replacments should last a long time.

This is particularly true at the moment when second hand car prices are well in excess (reports appear to indicate about a third over the trend) of what they would normally be due to the Pandemic-related logisitical / supply problems pushing many new car buyers onto the second hand market.

My 16yo Mazda3 has had the occasional suspension part, brake replacments etc and keeps passing its MOT each year. The latest one flagged up that one of the exhaust pipe hangers had broken (it was still ok overall) and so I had it welded back on again - for £30.

A new exhaust + hangers would've cost me well over £500. The weld may only last a few years, but at £30 a pop...

I agree that with some appropriate TLC, most cars can be kept on the road and going well without breaking the bank. Only worth changing when huge bills are on the horizon and parts are very difficult to come by.

In the OP's case, the mechanical bits of a Lexus are normally very reliable and long-lasting (especially the engine [particullarly the petrols/hyrbids]), thus most suspension, brakes and body-related issues could be taken care of be (cheaper) decent pattern parts and/or decent local indie repair outfits (e.g welding - my Mazda dealer recommended one as they don't do such work themselves).

Rather like boilers - I kept mine going until getting parts was difficult / expensive, but already had a plan in place for which boiler(s) to choose from for its replacement and the installation I wanted more generally.

To this end, I'd recommend that the OP still do the exercise to find out what type, make and models of replacment would suit their needs and budget (inclduing running costs), review it every year or so and thus have it ready in case a really big bill does come along.

Subframe corrosion (I think it was front the garage said in the last MOT). Fine for now but unlikely to pass the next MOT in 11 months time in their opinion - I've been using this garage for 15 years and they only suggest work when it is required (but give me the heads up in advance, like this occasion).

The problem is, no pattern parts (general downside of Lexus) and from Lexus the part is £1k, plus my garage say 5 hrs labour for them to fit it.

Part is available from breakers but as a 2008 mine is one of the last 400h's so any breaker parts are a similar age or older, so feels false economy.

Biting the bullet and spending £1500-£2000 is an option, and the car is trouble free, but I wouldn't want to spend that then 18 months from now have a similar situation with the rear subframe. Bottom line is the car is 15 years old so starting to wear out unfortunately.

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - Engineer Andy

Subframe corrosion (I think it was front the garage said in the last MOT). Fine for now but unlikely to pass the next MOT in 11 months time in their opinion - I've been using this garage for 15 years and they only suggest work when it is required (but give me the heads up in advance, like this occasion).

The problem is, no pattern parts (general downside of Lexus) and from Lexus the part is £1k, plus my garage say 5 hrs labour for them to fit it.

Part is available from breakers but as a 2008 mine is one of the last 400h's so any breaker parts are a similar age or older, so feels false economy.

Biting the bullet and spending £1500-£2000 is an option, and the car is trouble free, but I wouldn't want to spend that then 18 months from now have a similar situation with the rear subframe. Bottom line is the car is 15 years old so starting to wear out unfortunately.

I see your point - you might be in a bit of a bind there. Unexpected for that brand - normally the keep going and going. The HJ review gave it top marks. Maybe you car was the exception to the rule - bad luck on your part.

I suppose you have to weigh up the overall cost of the job and the ongoing costs vs shelling out quite a bit for a car you'll likely only keep for 3-4 years then shell out much more for the next one, an EV, plus perhaps more for getting a home charger.

If there's nothing else that major likely to going wrong / rot soon (and with a very second hand replacement there's likely to be just as much 'consumable' parts needed as for your car), you might find that canibalising it with a reclaimed part in reasonable condition might be the cost-effective way through that period.

It just seems bad because you're not getting a 'new' car for the money spent, but you may save yourself a shed load compared to a 'new' Lexus part.

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - John F

Subframe corrosion (I think it was front the garage said in the last MOT). Fine for now but unlikely to pass the next MOT in 11 months time in their opinion ....

If it's 'fine for now' , you could arrest the corrosion. These are quality cars worthy of conservation, and even at that age I wouldn't have thought subframe corrosion would be too bad.

On a warm dry sunny week-end I would get underneath it (on ramps) with a scraper or large old screwdriver and a wire brush; remove all the rust and then paint it with Kurust followed by some Hammerite, or whatever else you might prefer.

Can't help feeling the garage might be sowing dissatisfaction in the hope of an imminent profitable trade-in!

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - SLO76
What’s the budget and do you care much about performance? Also, where roughly in the country do you live?
Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - Falkirk Bairn

A bit of fettling & welding is going to be a heck of a lot less expenditure than buying a car at today's inflated prices - even if you have to buy genuine Toyota parts

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - nellyjak

Keep the Lexus..!!

West Yorkshire.

I'd go upto £10k on another car I think.

I not much if a car guy but I prefer cars that are on top of things and have some poke occasionally.

Prior to the Lexus I had a 328 coupe for 8 years (another car which was 15 years old when I decided it's time had come - I'm typically the last or next-to-last owner for a vehicle!!)

One option that's caught my eye is a Skoda Superb (petrol), the 280bhp one. Family size, spacious, comfortable. Tempting.

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - badbusdriver

I not much if a car guy but I prefer cars that are on top of things and have some poke occasionally.

?

As in an engine which just purrs and isn't struggling every time you go up a slight incline or get up to speed to join a motorway.

I like a larger-than-average engine/bhp, but 99% of the time drive for comfort rather than speed.

Car ideas? Family. Low annual mileage with long tr - SLO76
“ One option that's caught my eye is a Skoda Superb (petrol), the 280bhp one. Family size, spacious, comfortable. Tempting.”

I believe they’re all saddled with the fragile DSG twin clutch automated manual gearbox and thus an unwise used buy I’m afraid.

I get a vibe you like a large lazy motor with big lungs. I’ll take a look around.

Thanks for the insight. Reliability is high on my list (should have mentioned that previously!) so will avoid these then. I know all cars have weaknesses, but that one sounds an expensive item to replace!