What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Megane E-Tech Electric - Steering - mcb100
Doing a bit of reading on the above car, and it’ll have a steering ration of 12:1, which means the ability to go from full lock to full lock without letting go with either hand.
Would that mean current push/pull shufflers of the wheel, BSM style, would change to crossing their arms to get full lock?
Renault Megane E-Tech Electric - Steering - Andrew-T
Doing a bit of reading on the above car, and it’ll have a steering ratio of 12:1, which means the ability to go from full lock to full lock without letting go with either hand.

I can see the plus side of that, but surely that will mean a loss of precision, as minor corrections while following a straight line will call for very fine adjustment ? Or have I misunderstood ?

When I replaced my 306 with the 207, which has electric steering assistance, one of my first impressions was that steering was 'woollier'. What do others find ?

The level of assistance given, and the ratio itself, can be set to provide less assistance and ‘slower’ response around the straight ahead, meaning the car is less fidgety than you’d expect, and less likely to change lanes unexpectedly if a driver sneezes.
As you deviate away from the straight ahead, the steering speeds up and becomes more greatly assisted, helping with manoeuvres.
Renault Megane E-Tech Electric - Steering - focussed
Doing a bit of reading on the above car, and it’ll have a steering ration of 12:1, which means the ability to go from full lock to full lock without letting go with either hand. Would that mean current push/pull shufflers of the wheel, BSM style, would change to crossing their arms to get full lock?

Guess where the "BSM style" comes from? Police Roadcraft manual.

I’ve not seen a copy for a few years, but I believe it’s now been dropped in favour of crossing hands and holding the wheel lower down.
I have sat in rally cars with police drivers on low grip surfaces, and those with pull/push ingrained were much less likely to be able to quickly apply enough corrective lock to recover an oversteering car.
Airbags also mean that a 9 and 3 grip is safer than a 10 and 2.

Edited by mcb100 on 25/03/2022 at 10:10

Renault Megane E-Tech Electric - Steering - Terry W

Pre power steering push-pull made lots of sense - self centring steering loads, if you let go inadvertently mid corner, could be a bit of an issue.

Crossing hands means a less secure grip - but the lighter load means steering inputs can easily be controlled through a light finger and thumb "grip".

Renault Megane E-Tech Electric - Steering - Andrew-T

Crossing hands means a less secure grip - but the lighter load means steering inputs can easily be controlled through a light finger and thumb "grip".

Where do people keep their hands when on the M'way, and very little input is called for ? I usually end up with one hand at 6 o'clock.

One at 5, one on the passenger seat (assuming there’s no one in it, obviously….).