What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tyres - Hyundai i10 tyre specification - Sparrow

We have a Hyundai i10 that needs 2 new front tyres. It has done 28K miles, so I think they have lasted well. They are 185x55xR15 86H Continental EcoContis which it had on when new.

The rears have suffered however, and both have been replaced because of punctures. The local garage has fitted lower spec tyres, ie 82V instead of 86H, presumably because they are either cheaper or they had them in stock. SWMBO, whose car it is, has no problems with the 82Vs (they are Nexen branded) and just wants to go to the local garage and get the same for the front.

I disagree, and suggest that they should be the same spec as originally fitted. I like they way it drives, they have lasted well, so I would personally get replacement Ecocontis again. Trouble is, they are quite a bit more costly then 82V Nexens. It does appear that some i10s come with the 82V tyres, but ours didn't. I also am a but dubious about what the local garage did putting on lower rated tyres. SWMBO said the garage told her that they were different but would be fine. What do people think? There are many more brands of tyres available with 82V spec and only relatively premium brands with 86H. The 86H tyres are also marked XL, by the way. What would you do?

Tyres - Hyundai i10 tyre specification - badbusdriver

The number is the weight rating, that is just for the maximum load. 82 equates to 475kg per corner, x 4 = 1900kg. You have not said the age and exact model, but even the current one is not going to weigh much (if any) more than 1000kg. Bottom line is an 82 weight rating is absolutely fine for your car.

The letter refers to the maximum speed rating, H is up to 130mph, V is up to 149mph. So they have actually given you a higher spec tyre (but with a lower weight rating), though it is from a 'lesser' brand.

If you wanted like for like, you should have said.

What would I do?. Unless the way the car drives has changed drastically (very, very unlikely), nothing.

Edited by badbusdriver on 23/03/2022 at 21:04

That's good to know. It means we leave the rears as they are with the Nexens. From what you say they should be fine to put on the fronts too, as we do have to replace those soon. The 82v are quite a bit cheaper, even from the same brand.

It's a 2017 model, 1.2 engine. It was top of the range when bought with lots of extra goodies including heated steering wheel. I'll try to find the plate that gives the maximum laden weight or whatever they call it these days.

Tyres - Hyundai i10 tyre specification - bathtub tom

Why don't you fit whatever spec is quoted in the owner's manual?

Tyres - Hyundai i10 tyre specification - badbusdriver

It's a 2017 model, 1.2 engine. It was top of the range when bought with lots of extra goodies including heated steering wheel. I'll try to find the plate that gives the maximum laden weight or whatever they call it these days.

My Mother in law has one of them, really wanted a car with a proper sunroof!. The info I found says 1450kg GVW (gross vehicle weight), which is about what I'd have expected. So as I said, an 82 tyre is fine.

Tyres - Hyundai i10 tyre specification - Engineer Andy

Why don't you fit whatever spec is quoted in the owner's manual?

The allowed tyre spec (which may be several 'standard' tyre and wheel combos) should also be on a plate / sticker on the driver's side door or frame near where the lock engages.

Thanks to all. I have looked at the door plate. It does show tyre and wheel sizes but nothing about load or speed ratings. It does give pressures for front and rear in different loads.

The cars handbook says 185x55R15 86H - so the new fronts will be that. The 82v on the rears will, based on info above, will stay. I have no idea why the manufacturer chose 86H and not 82v. Perhaps they affect the handling or something.

Tyres - Hyundai i10 tyre specification - RT

The manufacturer contracts for relatively large volumes of tyre so doesn't need to over-specify but the replacement trade often finds it easier/cheaper just to stock the faster tyre as that can be fitted to all models.

When I had Cavaliers and Astras, they only needed H-rated tyres but the V-rated were usually cheaper - and no reason not to fit them.