What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cutting down on driving now? - barney100

With the price of fuel now rising steeply are members going to cut down on mileage now to save a bob or two?

Cutting down on driving now? - Sofa Spud

We don't do a high enough mileage in our 60 mpg car to be too bothered. If we do spend more on fuel then it would only balance out all the mileage we haven't done in the last couple of years because of Covid restrictions.

Cutting down on driving now? - badbusdriver

With regards to the car, I'm like Sofa Spud, we don't do many miles anyway, and the Ignis doesn't use much fuel.

As for the Caddy van, I need to drive for my work so can't cut down mileage without cutting down work. The loss of income from doing that would be quite lot more than the loss of income from the increase in fuel prices!.

What I have been trying to do on and off now for a while is stopping using the car for my weekly shop. More to avoid using the car for such a short journey (Local Morrisons is a couple of hundred meters away) rather than fuel cost. I started out by buying one of those two wheeled upright trolley things with a large volume bag and an allegedly large payload capacity. Unfortunately it collapsed and I have not got round to deciding on a better solution (maybe a folding sack truck?). But on days I am working, I am invariably driving right past Morrisons on the way home or Asda if coming into town from the West, so I could easily do my weeks shopping over the course of a few days, or just in one stop. For some reason though, I am having trouble getting myself organised enough to do so!.

Cutting down on driving now? - mcb100
I can’t cut down on mileage as work demands mean that I have to carry on ploughing up and down the M6 and M1, but the last time I drove my ICE car on a 4 hour journey I switched off the aircon and put a few more psi in the tyres. I need to repeat the experience on Sunday, heading home, to be sure, but I did get 3-4mpg better fuel economy on a 95% motorway run.
Thankfully we see the end of winter diesel in the next week or so, and slightly higher air temperatures will also play a part in marginally pulling up the economy figures.

Edited by mcb100 on 11/03/2022 at 07:34

Cutting down on driving now? - _

For shopping, I plan it for when SWMBO is going to work or to the gym.

Otherwise, nothing will change, off to the beach with blodwen later for walkies and then sit down fish & chips in a dog friendly cafe by Felixstowe pier. about 30 miles each way, but all part of the days out. Pub food has deteriorated round here so rare to go out for a meal in the evenings..

If we want milk a local coop 150 metres or so, but, otherwise if we want to use the car we will do, If we want to heat the house, we will do, but I understand that there are people who will have difficulties in driving, eating and heating.

Edited by _ORB_ on 11/03/2022 at 07:54

Cutting down on driving now? - catsdad

I live in a small town and I already walk for most appointments. My car often goes a couple of weeks unused. I still clock up about 10k miles a year however as elderly in-laws and my mother and daughter are all long distances away. I guess the average miles on days it is used is well over 100. At 55 mpg it’s not a lot per person, per mile even at the new high fuel cost.

Public transport is poor round here and our long journeys are not a good fit with the rail network even if we had a station. For example our shortest regular long trip trip at 75 miles would take around three hours each way using two buses and a train, Of course in pre-car days our town had a station and direct links to all points of the compass. It’s our own fault in the end.

Overall I will not be cutting down on driving. The days of pleasure driving for the sake of it went years ago. However I am lucky to able to afford to take a privileged view as to what I see as “essential” travel. It’s just that having saved for a rainy day I had hoped it was for cocktails on a palm fringed beach not for petrol, bedsocks and domestic heating. First world problems of course.

Cutting down on driving now? - Ian_SW

For us, the trip to the in-laws is about 350 miles each way. So before fuel went up, it cost us about £50 in fuel each way to transport a family of 4.

That trip would now be about £80-£90 each way.

To do the same trip by train, for all four of us, it costs about three times that. There are no through advance tickets as it is over multiple operstors. Also, it's not possible to leave here after school at about 4pm and arrive there about bedtime which is how we normally do the trip.

So, until petrol reaches £5 per litre, we'll carry on using the car for that trip, and by that point I expect increased oil price would have put the train fares up too.

We can walk to get all food shops, and other shopping is in the next town about 6 miles away. Previously that was about £2 worth of fuel to get there and back - if that went up to £10 I'd think more about it, but so far it's only increased to £3 which is still cheaper than 1 person on the not very frequent bus...

Cutting down on driving now? - craig-pd130

No. We went down to one car (2015 Corsa 1.4 petrol) when my company car lease ended in 2020 and I was working from home. Now I've retired, one car is really all we need, and we probably fill up once every 2 or 3 weeks. So even though a 40 litre fill-up today costs £16 more than it did in March 2021 (when fuel was around £1.23 / litre) it doesn't make a noticeable dent on our budget.

I do appreciate that we're fortunate in not having to rely on our car and not having to worry about rising fuel costs.

Cutting down on driving now? - FP

Fortunately, over the last few weeks we have visited the two of my children who live in Leeds and Newcastle respectively, so that's two expensive journeys done for while - we live near J8 of the M1. However, we're off to France after Easter to visit the third and no doubt that will cost us.

Normally the car gets used three times a week for short journeys (less than forty miles total) and as we both have bus passes, most other local journeys during the daytime can be done that way.

Realistically, we can't use the car much less.

Cutting down on driving now? - John F

Nope. Cars and their mechanicals have always been my hobby. As low mileage drivers their fuel consumption is immaterial, and we are fortunate that it is a very low percentage of our household income. I don't smoke, gamble, play golf, or have any desire to collect expensive things. The offspring have long since left the nest and built their own. At the end of life, does anyone wish they had saved more money?

Cutting down on driving now? - Terry W

I do around 10k pa and fill the car up on average about every 2 weeks.

The alternative - public transport is untenable for most journeys - both cost and time. I may may change behaviours slightly - eg:

• on a day out I may chose a destination 20 rather than 50 miles away,
  • walk/cycle into town - although the cost of petrol for 1 or 2 miles is completely trivial

Otherwise the price increase will make little difference - not happy but unless it hits £5++ per litre I don't expect to change.

Cutting down on driving now? - Engineer Andy

With the price of fuel now rising steeply are members going to cut down on mileage now to save a bob or two?

I think it's going to be a very tough time for many people over the next year or so, given everything contributing to significant inflationary pressures, epsecially items like fuel and food that, for the most part, we cannot reduce our consumption by that much or changes to what we use.

For those of us already doing a low annual mileage, using the car even less actually can make the overall situation worse because the battery can fail through a lack of use or the brakes can bind or warp, meaning both may have to be rapired or replaced far sooner than normally the case.

I would say, where possible, it is far better to do fewer but longer trips to aid the above. In colder times, I use my car once a week to drive about 13 miles each way along the local dual carriageway to a town to do my grocery shopping, then every 2 weeks as it gets warmer, then perhaps every 3 in the warmest months.

I avoid short trips as much as possible as it depletes the battery and the mpg is far lower. This means I do a lot of walking when doing local shopping - good for my health as well. Not always possible for the less ambulant, whose cars are a lifeline.

I feel most sorry for those who live in rural areas and/or who's job / life means they have to do a lot of driving, never mind that many of them are likely to live in older, less well insulated homes and thus the gas and electrc price rises are going to hit them harder. Especially those on low incomes.

Perhaps it all will encourage more of a community spitit and work camaraderie to share resources, each car-sharing, taking turns to do a neighbour's shopping, even being more thrifty in general and buying goods that last rather than purely for aesthic reasons and/or that are poor quality and don't last long. A lot of that was lost appears to have been lost over the years.

I suspect the current issues could push some business under that rely on in-person trade, such as furniture stores, because many, especially in more rural areas, are away from towns and cities to save on rent.

Cutting down on driving now? - Ethan Edwards

Yes only going into the office one or two days a week. Ironic as now I own an EV and it's inexpensive to do so. That's the pro the con is that Electricity is going up spectacularly. Even so its still cheaper and you aren't at the mercy of the middle East or Russia. Well not as much anyway.

The Mokka-e is a bit smaller than my old Vitara but adequate for my needs. The ultimate edition being a nice place to be. I haven't noticed the A12 being any clearer so I don't think the high prices have deterred many from driving , yet.

Cutting down on driving now? - lucklesspedestrian

We're setting off on a long-planned 1000 mile round trip from Scotland to Suffolk tomorrow....doh!

Cutting down on driving now? - Smileyman

Having been WFH for the best part of 2 years I'm under pressure to return to office (not sure if this will be full time or hybrid) .. the problem is work moved Jan 2021 and the new place does not offer free on-site parking for staff. There is some on street parking nearby, about 10 - 15 minutes' walk away.

Door to door driving is typically 60 minutes each way (now + walking time from wherever parked), up to now driving has been quicker and cheaper than rail travel, in part because with 2 trains an hour the times do not dovetail with office hours. BUT, there is another issue to consider, as a vulnerable person still recovering from chemotherapy with COVID numbers increasing rail travel presents a health risk, this is why I have been focusing on WFH.

Luckily Mrs S has just received her bus pass so her car has been parked up all week, a savings even if she didn't drive many miles in the first place.

Cutting down on driving now? - Alby Back
I hope it does make some, or even many, cut down on their journeys.

That way the roads will be much quieter and so much more convenient for me to use. ;-)
Cutting down on driving now? - Andrew-T

Our annual mileage over two elderly cars is not great - about 5K in total - so we shall not be changing any habits. Regular journeys are to one daughter's (about 50 round trip every few weeks), my stationmaster outings (80 round trip every 2 or 3 weeks), plus routine trips for shopping or hydrotherapy for SWMBO. I could cut down on occasional 15-mile runs to exercise the old 306 and charge its battery, but that won't save much.

It received 20 litres of E5 today at £1.76 a litre, so I just had to grin and bear that. It will presumably be more next time round .... But when prices are 'stable' we don't think about what it costs, do we ?

Cutting down on driving now? - FoxyJukebox
Ok-there are lots of people for whom a drive to work is a critical spend.
Frankly though I see no evidence of reluctance to drive, distraught faces when paying at the pumps or lack of traffic jams at weekends-wonder why?

Frankly though I see no evidence of reluctance to drive, distraught faces when paying at the pumps or lack of traffic jams at weekends-wonder why?

Too early for the financial implications to have an effect, give it a few months.

Cutting down on driving now? - FoxyJukebox
Yes-I think you’re dead right there badbusdriver….but for the moment I’m certainly adopting the “do I really need to drive “ attitude.
In lockdown I did 20 yds in 3 months.
Cutting down on driving now? - Steveieb

Having retired some years ago I kept my AudiA4 pd Tdi which is truly amazing on fuel. But having used a chat conversation to renew my broadband yesterday I simply wonder why companies would consider accepting the inefficiencies of communicating in this way instead of a normal conversation in the office.

Must be heating and office costs surely ?

Cutting down on driving now? - Trilogy.

No reduction here. Only do a food shop once every ten days or so. And work mileage will remain the same. Social mileage will be greater this year than last.

Cutting down on driving now? - Xileno

I only did 800 miles last year, this year will probably be the same unless I go on holiday. I was going to visit Fair Isle in 2020 but the observatory burned down the previous year and then the pandemic came. If that trip does happen then that will be a decent trip for the old Focus.

Cutting down on driving now? - Miniman777

I have no plans to cut down, will bite the bullet on prices. May drive a bit slower but not that slower.

What I am doing is seeing whether for my leisure trips, the train is a cheaper, more convenient option, especially when I can use a railcard. The tipping point is often the station parking costs at between £10 and £14.50, depending on which station I use.

I only did 800 miles last year, this year will probably be the same unless I go on holiday. I was going to visit Fair Isle in 2020 but the observatory burned down the previous year and then the pandemic came. If that trip does happen then that will be a decent trip for the old Focus.

Does the Focus get to Fair Isle ? That's a Fair trip :-)

Drive to Aberdeen, overnight ferry to Lerwick (with car) then leave the car and get the Good Shepherd boat to the Isle. It's rough but I'm a good sailor. There is a small 8 seater plane to the Isle but I prefer the sense of travel you get with a slower journey. I'm not really interested in the birds for which it's famous - feathered before anyone comments :-) but the remoteness and timelessness of the location.

Cutting down on driving now? - RT

Drive to Aberdeen, overnight ferry to Lerwick (with car) then leave the car and get the Good Shepherd boat to the Isle. It's rough but I'm a good sailor. There is a small 8 seater plane to the Isle but I prefer the sense of travel you get with a slower journey. I'm not really interested in the birds for which it's famous - feathered before anyone comments :-) but the remoteness and timelessness of the location.

Why not leave the car in Aberdeen and save the ferry fare for it?

Drive to Aberdeen, overnight ferry to Lerwick (with car) then leave the car and get the Good Shepherd boat to the Isle.

Not cheap to take a car from Aberdeen to Lerwick on the ferry Xileno, i'm assuming you plan to spend some time on the Shetland mainland too?. Otherwise it would surely be much cheaper to leave the car in Aberdeen and get bus or taxi from Lerwick to Grutness.

I want to explore the mainland so thought it would be cheaper to take my car on the ferry to use rather than hire one. But I haven't looked at the figures in detail yet.

I want to explore the mainland so thought it would be cheaper to take my car on the ferry to use rather than hire one. But I haven't looked at the figures in detail yet.

The ferry is quite expensive anyway, but regardless of what accommodation you plump for, taking the car will add between £95 and £127 each way depending on time of year.

Thanks. I'm used to taking the car on the ferry to France so those car costs don't seem too bad. It will be offset by not needing to hire a car. The birdwatchers tend to go in May/June time so I will be out of the busy period.

No reduction here. Only do a food shop once every ten days or so. And work mileage will remain the same. Social mileage will be greater this year than last.

One thing worth considering, if your circumstances allow, is to do shopping trips (if always in the car) on more quiet days/times, increasing mpg due to less traffic around.

I always used to do my grocery shopping on Saturdays, now as I'm not working, I can go at any time, and Tuesday or Wednesdays around 9.30 - 10.30am seems to be the quiet point, including at the shops themselves (but are fully stocked).

All being well, this year I'll be nearly doubling my anticipated mileage (I was only doing around 900-1200 miles in 2020 and 2021) due to being able to go on holiday to Cornwall again, which normally adds 750 - 1000 miles.

I figure that means I'll be having to shell out (at today's prices) around £75 - £100 extra over the holiday than previous trips.

I shudder to think what the inflation rate will be by the end of the year, given the trajectory of fuel and power prices.

<< One thing worth considering, if your circumstances allow, is to do shopping trips (if always in the car) on more quiet days/times, increasing mpg due to less traffic around. >>

Depending how far your shopping trip is, if fuel costs continue to rise it will gradually make more sense to have your shopping delivered, especially if you can choose a cheap delivery slot.

Cutting down on driving now? - RT

<< One thing worth considering, if your circumstances allow, is to do shopping trips (if always in the car) on more quiet days/times, increasing mpg due to less traffic around. >>

Depending how far your shopping trip is, if fuel costs continue to rise it will gradually make more sense to have your shopping delivered, especially if you can choose a cheap delivery slot.

Although as time goes on, the increased fuel costs will push delivery prices up - there's no win-win in any of this.

I'm having to balance car battery life (especially as living in a flat means I can't use a trickle charger) with the costs of the fuel used for a 25 mile round trip roughly every 1-3 weeks to the shops. To be fair, this cost is 'only' around £4.50 per trip now, so not that bad, especially as it stretches the car's legs, keeps the battery topped up and the brakes from binding.

I suspect the balance for others (especially doing more mileage generally) will be more in favour of online shopping, as you indicate.

Cutting down on driving now? - daveyK_UK
There may be a fall in the value of gas guzzlers and an upturn in the value of high mpg models

Cutting down on driving now? - expat
There may be a fall in the value of gas guzzlers and an upturn in the value of high mpg models

That would be a buying opportunity for those who think that petrol prices will come back down. There was a petrol price spike in 1979/80 and no one wanted gas guzzlers. I got an 18 month old 3lt 6 cylinder for 30% of what it had cost new. I got 25 years out of that car and then sold it for what I had paid for it. No depreciation on the car but the money had depreciated.