What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric cars as reliable as we think? - Metropolis.
news.sky.com/story/new-electric-cars-may-be-less-r...4
Electric cars as reliable as we think? - badbusdriver

Not entirely surprised that software rather than the motor causes most problems with EV's, given an electric motor only has one moving part!.

Also not overly surprised that an EV might spend longer off the road given most manufacturers are still very much new to EV's.

But the notion that cars combining both electric and ICE powertrains are more reliable than cars containing just one?. I'm a little sceptical!.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - Sulphur Man

The Toyota Prius, especially the 2003-2009 Mk2, has proven reliability beyond any reasonable doubt. Thousands of Uber and minicab drivers would attest to it. Some examples in London clocking up over 400K mileage. The Toyota hybrid drivetrain puts far lower stress and vibration on moving parts than ICE only cars.

Lexus customer satisfaction, is another clear indicator of hybrid drivetrain reliability. They now supply 10yr warranties for new customers. Eat your heart out, VAG

Edited by Sulphur Man on 03/03/2022 at 08:32

The Toyota Prius, especially the 2003-2009 Mk2, has proven reliability beyond any reasonable doubt. Thousands of Uber and minicab drivers would attest to it. Some examples in London clocking up over 400K mileage. The Toyota hybrid drivetrain puts far lower stress and vibration on moving parts than ICE only cars.

Lexus customer satisfaction, is another clear indicator of hybrid drivetrain reliability. They now supply 10yr warranties for new customers. Eat your heart out, VAG

Just to be clear, I wasn't doubting the reliability of Toyota hybrids (I am well aware of just how reliable they are), but I'm still not convinced they are more (though not necessarily less) reliable than an ICE Toyota.

And if I doubt that a Toyota hybrid is more reliable than an ICE Toyota, then the same applies to other brands.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - Engineer Andy

Just to be clear, I wasn't doubting the reliability of Toyota hybrids (I am well aware of just how reliable they are), but I'm still not convinced they are more (though not necessarily less) reliable than an ICE Toyota.

And if I doubt that a Toyota hybrid is more reliable than an ICE Toyota, then the same applies to other brands.

Given the number of times articles have popped up that we've all discussed on this forum about the bane of modern cars - electronics and software faults, I wouldn't be at all surprised at them being a bigger problem with EVs, given (as you say) they are choc-a-block full of them.

There's no way that most electronics and software are all properly tested over the same period as car components used to be because there are so many nowadays and that interract with eachother, rather like parts and software in a PC, tablet or smartphone, where the only moving parts are cooling fans, and the occasional CD drawer on a PC.

To be honest, I'm surprised that there aren't more reports of the EV (and modern ICE cars) equivalent of the 'blue screen of death' requiring a 'hard reboot' when the vehicle is in motion, meaning no power steering, brakes, etc, etc.

As you say, Toyota hybrids get a great reputation for longevity, efficiency and reliability, and hence why so many are minicabs, even in towns and cities without LEZs. I suspect that they generally benefit from a bump in reliability over the competition and that's the figure that is quoted by the media.

I personally wouldn't trust the 'reliability index' type surveys as IMHO they appear to be self-selecting and thus biased towards those using whatever warranty extension service they offer. Whether the 'JD Power' one(s) were any better, I'm not sure.

I suppose, at least in the UK, it's increasingly difficult to compare hybrid Toyotas/Lexuses with pure ICE ones of the same age - less and less of the latter about given they've been predominantly hybrid for a good few years now, with the occasional base model smaller car (petrol) and large SUVs being ICE only.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - Bolt

There's no way that most electronics and software are all properly tested over the same period as car components used to be

No need to be as they are afaia checked by computer anyway, and the hardware should be more reliable than the software as it takes a while to write software to control any scenario which it comes across.

testing on the road could take years before any glitches show up, like a pc, a driver may work fine for years until another components driver/software is installed that decides its not going to play ball with the operating system, must be the same in EVs

and Tesla are constantly writing updates for there systems, though they must be used to it now!

Edited by Bolt on 03/03/2022 at 21:10

There's no way that most electronics and software are all properly tested over the same period as car components used to be

No need to be as they are afaia checked by computer anyway, and the hardware should be more reliable than the software as it takes a while to write software to control any scenario which it comes across.

testing on the road could take years before any glitches show up, like a pc, a driver may work fine for years until another components driver/software is installed that decides its not going to play ball with the operating system, must be the same in EVs

and Tesla are constantly writing updates for there systems, though they must be used to it now!

What's afaia (highlighted), Bolt?

Let's hope no-one gets an OS update that locks the car up (i.e. cannot control it) mid-manouvre! Or something like my middle Nokia 620 phone that sometimes locked up at the boot screen and would only be able to restart by taking the battery out and putting it back!

The best my 2005 built Mazda3 can get to on a 'computer' type operation (no software updates) is when the battery is disconneected for some reason (e.g. replacement). the electrric window master control doesn't work, but will do after using each window's own switch, holding it open for 4 seconds, then closed (I think - I only need to do it every few years) in order, rather like CTRL+ALT+DEL. on a 'blue screened' PC. Doesn't affect driving though.

What's afaia (highlighted),

Its been used a few times (as far as I`m aware)

I could be wrong but I`m assuming EVs will have backup computers in case of a failure, some motors are talked about as having over 120 on board computers

main ecu is pre programmed to take over in case of sensor failure or circuit malfunction, as a lot now have more cores/brains than they used to have, so if one fails they are programmed to take over

disconnection in circuit of a sensor or failure of, they are preprogramed to run without a sensor/s working but with warning light to say there is a problem, I have doubts any would shut down and cause catastrophic failure unless tampered with? though even that shouldn`t happen

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - kiss (keep it simple)

In theory an electric vehicle should have a simpler ECU. Compare the number of sensors on an ICE (especially all the emission control which seems to cause a lot of the problems) with the controls required for an electric motor. ECU's are still subject to updates as an when bugs are discovered. I guess the problem could be when an unsuccessful update occurs overnight and you only find out in the morning. At least if your garage flashes your ECU they should know straight away if it has been successful.

In theory an electric vehicle should have a simpler ECU

I suspect the control units as they get smaller will be used to control more safety systems than they were, because they are able to get more circuits in a smaller area which will reduce weight even more that work faster than chips being used now, like Tesla are doing

In theory an electric vehicle should have a simpler ECU

I suspect the control units as they get smaller will be used to control more safety systems than they were, because they are able to get more circuits in a smaller area which will reduce weight even more that work faster than chips being used now, like Tesla are doing

A supplementary issue that is kinda reliability-related - more (and definitely) safety related, is that of 'thermal runaway' in EV battery pack systems (less of an issue with PHEVs and hybrids due to the much smaller size of the packs and thus effect they'd have in this situation).

Aussie commentator John Cadogan has produced a video on this today, relating to the car transport ship that went down following a fire in the Atlantic recently. Whilst the original cause of the fire has not been found (and won't likely be), the apparent secondary effect was a runaway fire caused by the EVs' general battery pack design and closeness of the stored vehicles onboard, rather like a 'meltdown' of a nuclear reactor that cannot be stopped:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mpAVL1FSCw&t=1207s

As he says, that the car companies and authorities worldwide have seemingly not even thought about this issue despite numerous warning about such things from years of battery packs catching fire / exploding in cars, phones, laptops etc and the chemistry / design of the packs being known to be susceptible, no regulation/laws have come about.

Imagine a covered car park full of EVs at a supermarket, town centre or hospital and a fire breaks out (for any reason). No way to put it out and potential lethal weapons there.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - moward

but I'm still not convinced they are more (though not necessarily less) reliable than an ICE Toyota.

Why would they be? They both have a copy of the most complex component of the power train system i.e. the ICE.

The big advantage the hybrid has is a much simpler transmission with far fewer moving parts. No synchromeshes, no clutches, no dog teeth on the sliding gears to grind each other.

We voted with our wallets (purse?) when the Mrs bought herself a CHR hybrid last march. To date I have seen absolutely no reason why it wont last the distance.

Edited by moward on 04/03/2022 at 12:37

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - Big John

The big advantage the hybrid has is a much simpler transmission with far fewer moving parts. No synchromeshes, no clutches, no dog teeth on the sliding gears to grind each other.

True especially re Toyota / Lexus hybrid - simple oily/motor bits

Not true re some other hybrids

Seems to be an awful lot of hysteria about about electric cars rebooting mid journey causing untold amounts of carnage and devastation :-)

Commercial aircraft have been using fly by wire systems for decades now, and I'm not aware of too many incidents where the aircraft has crashed mid flight due to a BSOD. The engines are FADEC too meaning they run completely by themselves using their own inbuilt software logic independent from the aircraft avionics, and they tend to run with impeccable reliability.

Whilst I appreciate that automotive is not quite designed to the same standard as aerospace, I see no reason why an electric cars control systems cant be completely sound given enough development. Personally id much prefer it if my car could be fixed by a software update, rather than having to pull half the front out say to replace a clutch.

Seems to be an awful lot of hysteria about about electric cars rebooting mid journey causing untold amounts of carnage and devastation :-)

Commercial aircraft have been using fly by wire systems for decades now, and I'm not aware of too many incidents where the aircraft has crashed mid flight due to a BSOD. The engines are FADEC too meaning they run completely by themselves using their own inbuilt software logic independent from the aircraft avionics, and they tend to run with impeccable reliability.

Whilst I appreciate that automotive is not quite designed to the same standard as aerospace, I see no reason why an electric cars control systems cant be completely sound given enough development. Personally id much prefer it if my car could be fixed by a software update, rather than having to pull half the front out say to replace a clutch.

I wouldn't use fly-by-wire aircraft as a 'safe example', at l;east in the early years of adopting the tech. I'm sure I'm not the only person who remembers the fatal crash of one of the first FBW airbuses at a demonstration doing a low flyby. I also recall many aircraft since (including Boeing) having serious recalls for the electronics and wiring, grounding many for long periods in order to get the changes made.

It's why I fear things are progressing too quickly on the self-drive cars, whwre the working environment is far more varied/complex that aircraft.

My 16yo car experienced its first and (thus far) only recall last year, for a defect in the airbag system. Many software glitches could at one point or another result in a catastrophic error and lead to an accident in a far more 'computer driven' car, whether today's ICE/hybrids or EVs.

So many interdependent systems interracting all the time and seemingly not fully tested before release - in my view because they want to be 'the first' (or not the last) to adopt the new system.

Ah yes you would be referring to this, back in 1988, per chance? Air France Flight 296Q - Wikipedia

This was a demonstration flight, where the aircraft was pushed beyond the limits of its normal operating conditions. Airbus blamed the pilot, the pilot blamed the computer (as of course, one doesn't want to carry the can for smashing up a brand new, and very expensive, aircraft), and the whole lot ended up finger pointing.

I was thinking more in lines of the flight control computers in my post rather than the operation of the autopilot which is perhaps analogous to what you mean when you mention self driving. Aircraft flight controls are several times redundant, so if one computer throws up a red flag, the remainder 'vote it out' and everything carries on uninterrupted. Perhaps cars need to be done the same way.

Another thing of note is that aircraft use transponders to broadcast their position, altitude, speed and direction etc, so that all other aircraft in the area know where their neighbours are at and where they're going, helping the autopilot navigate around them. I think for self driving cars, something similar would be needed. I don't think a few cameras dotted around the car relying on visual feedback is good enough. Whether this would prove popular is another matter entirely.

Anyways the crux of my point is that fly/drive by wire system's can be extremely reliable if done right, which leads to,

So many interdependent systems interracting all the time and seemingly not fully tested before release - in my view because they want to be 'the first' (or not the last) to adopt the new system.

As I alluded to before, the bar is much lower for automotive manufacturers, and perhaps more stringent regulation is required to raise it. I certainly don't trust 'self driving' for the time being,

I don't think a few cameras dotted around the car relying on visual feedback is good enough.

they don`t just use cameras though, they use, apart from GPS which is too slow, mobile phone masts and Wi-Fi from any place they can to triangulate to nearest metre or so.. they get a better idea of where they are than using cameras, but they can if thats all there is to use ie no GPS or Wi-Fi

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - Andrew-T

I don't think a few cameras dotted around the car relying on visual feedback is good enough.

Eh ? :-)

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - Terry W

The soft squidgy thing behind the wheel only has visual feedback as it lacks radar, heat sensors, and an internet connection streaming data on other hazards in the area..

No great surprise it gets things wrong so often!

Indeed, many an aircraft has been lost by CFIT due to poor visibility, hence why I think using cameras on a vehicle as the primary means of navigating for the self driving system is insufficient. Good driving conditions cant be guaranteed all the time.

For self driving cars to work properly, IMO its not enough for an individual vehicle to simply know its own position and heading, it needs to know the same of all the vehicles around it in order to navigate around them. Basically they will need to intercommunicate, whether this means each vehicle having its own transponder or something similar. For this reason, I think true self driving is a long way off yet, as it requires changes to all cars on the road, not just a few new models at a time.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - RT

Indeed, many an aircraft has been lost by CFIT due to poor visibility, hence why I think using cameras on a vehicle as the primary means of navigating for the self driving system is insufficient. Good driving conditions cant be guaranteed all the time.

For self driving cars to work properly, IMO its not enough for an individual vehicle to simply know its own position and heading, it needs to know the same of all the vehicles around it in order to navigate around them. Basically they will need to intercommunicate, whether this means each vehicle having its own transponder or something similar. For this reason, I think true self driving is a long way off yet, as it requires changes to all cars on the road, not just a few new models at a time.

In your utopia, will pedestrians and cyclists be required to fit a transponder - where will it be fitted?

In your case, I know exactly where id put it ;-)

The soft squidgy thing behind the wheel only has visual feedback as it lacks radar, heat sensors, and an internet connection streaming data on other hazards in the area.

I don't know about you, Terry - I'll admit to having no radar or internet connection, but my heat sensors aren't too bad :-)

The soft squidgy thing behind the wheel only has visual feedback as it lacks radar, heat sensors, and an internet connection streaming data on other hazards in the area..

No great surprise it gets things wrong so often!

I think you give self-drive cars too much credit and not enough for people, given the former has yet to get anyweher near mastering what is required in most of the world. The difference is that humans make mistakes because they are lazy or careless, whereas the machine will make mistakes (other than being poorly designed/constructed) because it doesn't know any better.

We aren't anywher near the utopian (or maybe that dystopian) situation regularly depicted in scifi films set in the supposed not-to-distant future. I would also note that many of them predict safe self driving cars for 20XX and thus far none have come remotely true, despite many scientists saying they would years ago when pontificating on Tommorrow's World and the like.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - sammy1

Do you think your self driving car could avoid driving into a flood or aquaplaning on a motorway. Could it avoid skidding on black ice or successfully negotiate a snow covered road( where have the white lines gone or why are they suddenly so wide) Can it see perhaps 400yards ahead and foresee a possible problem that might be avoided Can it tell a Sainburys plastic bag from a Morrisons bag that has caused it to ram on the anchors? No. If you want someone else to do the driving take the train

Do you think your self driving car could avoid driving into a flood or aquaplaning on a motorway. Could it avoid skidding on black ice or successfully negotiate a snow covered road( where have the white lines gone or why are they suddenly so wide)

It might avoid aquaplaning or black ice by detecting the change in conditions before many human drivers. But I certainly wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near foolproof.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - alan1302

Do you think your self driving car could avoid driving into a flood or aquaplaning on a motorway. Could it avoid skidding on black ice or successfully negotiate a snow covered road( where have the white lines gone or why are they suddenly so wide) Can it see perhaps 400yards ahead and foresee a possible problem that might be avoided Can it tell a Sainburys plastic bag from a Morrisons bag that has caused it to ram on the anchors? No. If you want someone else to do the driving take the train

It could avoid driving into a flood, it could avoid aquaplaning, it could avoid skidding, it could negotiate a snow covered road, it could see further up the road than you, and I'm sure it could tell the difference between a Morrisons or a Sainsburys bag. It's all things that a self driving car needs to be able to do to be able to self drive.

I will ask you though - can you avoid a flood, avoid aqua planing or avoid skidding on black ice?

It could avoid driving into a flood, it could avoid aquaplaning, it could avoid skidding, it could negotiate a snow covered road, it could see further up the road than you, and I'm sure it could tell the difference between a Morrisons or a Sainsburys bag. It's all things that a self driving car needs to be able to do to be able to self drive.

I will ask you though - can you avoid a flood, avoid aqua planing or avoid skidding on black ice?

Some car companies are using the film already made of road trips/and still gathering videos- all over the countries they are in, idea is, they can write software in order that AI and the computers will know any situation they get into and what to do to avoid problems, it will take years to perfect but it is getting better as time goes on...

<< Idea is, they can write software in order that AI and the computers will know any situation they get into and what to do to avoid problems, it will take years to perfect but it is getting better as time goes on. >>

No doubt what you say will eventually come, but I still wonder whether, in the overall scheme of things, it will be much more than a glorious vanity project.

but I still wonder whether, in the overall scheme of things, it will be much more than a glorious vanity project.

wouldn`t surprise me as I think Google have stopped its R&D into it, though alphabet, googles parent company, are still researching, but for how long is anyone's guess

Biggest progress is being made by Tesla so far....

It's abundantly clear that many human beings are unable to consistently identify flooded roads, black ice, missing road markings, potholes, kerbs etc etc.

All these will be easily managed by a properly programmed autonomous vehicle equipped with the right sensors.

Even though that may be some time in coming, bear in mind that they only need be better than flesh and blood, not infallible. It may be sooner than you think.

All these will be easily managed by a properly programmed autonomous vehicle equipped with the right sensors.

All this theorising forgets about the adaptability of humans (which is what the whole idea is about). Drivers who have learnt their limitations, and those of their car (some maybe haven't), may drive near those limits. If they change to a car with different limitations some of them adapt their styles to suit. How will those drivers adapt to a vehicle which they expect to avoid any difficulties ?

A 'smart' car may be very good at detecting surface water or black ice, but that won't give the vehicle any magical way of sticking to the road.

In a truly autonomous vehicle there will be no driver, and their limitations will be completely irrelevant.

A smart car (one assumes) will react when it detects surface water or black ice, unlike the numpty behind the wheel who won't even know it's there until too late.

In fact it is all but a certainty there will be some who having skidded on black ice will get out of the car to inspect the damage and wonder why they fall over!!

A 'smart' car may be very good at detecting surface water or black ice, but that won't give the vehicle any magical way of sticking to the road.

Detecting deep water and black ice maybe the things that will be a problem for sensors, unless the programming can tell the AI the difference between a dry road and wet/icy road which imo may be difficult to do.

Sensors will certainly be able to detect road surface temperatures, and possibly standing water either by appearance, reflectivity or sonar.

It will be very aware of external temperatures, humidity, and with a data feed, accumulated rainfall, forecast weather, etc.

Strangely I think the problem autonomous vehicles may have compared to human drivers is the utterly trivial - eg:

• put in a postcode, at the destination does it park in the drive or the road,
  • how does it park if you need to put a large load in the boot
  • at an event or camp site will it respond to a traffic marshal
  • etc etc

There may be an argument for simple joystick control below say 5 mph.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - madf

An autonomous car will struggle on single track roads.

Anyone who has had to go onto the verge to allow another car past will know why.

An autonomous car will struggle on single track roads.

Anyone who has had to go onto the verge to allow another car past will know why.

The donkey equidistance from two identical food sources argument - each AI won't know what to do or who to give priority to, unless that is they are linked via some kind of wireless system.

I keep think about that scene in the film I, Robot where Will Smith's character is being attacked by killer robots whilst driving: "You are having an accident" they say (or words to that effect).

Either that or visions of the HAL 9000 going bonkers... :-)

How do two human drivers resolve the problem of who moves first at (say) a mini roundabout.

Both move forward one stops, the other stops, move forward again, stop, repeat, repeat, one then usually remains stationary whilst the other moves off.

It is a kind of random chaos which usually resolves itself - but occasionally leads to bent metal or plastic. Autonomous systems could hardly do worse. Perhaps there will be a default setting as for ships at sea and aircraft - eg: vehicle on a northern setting gets priority!!

How do two human drivers resolve the problem of who moves first at (say) a mini roundabout.

Both move forward one stops, the other stops, move forward again, stop, repeat, repeat, one then usually remains stationary whilst the other moves off.

It is a kind of random chaos which usually resolves itself - but occasionally leads to bent metal or plastic. Autonomous systems could hardly do worse. Perhaps there will be a default setting as for ships at sea and aircraft - eg: vehicle on a northern setting gets priority!!

There are a couple of narrow bridges I cross regularly during the course of my work, one direction of travel has priority over the other. Doesn't cause any problems AFAIK.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - De Sisti

I saw this photograph trending, but assume it's a fake. Generator probably wouldn't be up to the job?

scontent-lcy1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/2754982...7

Edited by De Sisti on 09/03/2022 at 09:18

I saw this photograph trending, but assume it's a fake. Generator probably wouldn't be up to the job?

As far as I am aware, I Tesla can be charged on a household plug, its just that it will take about 3 days from empty to full!. So the question wouldn't be whether the genny was up to the job, but what the circumstances were. They may only need enough juice to get half a mile to a charger?

As far as I am aware, I Tesla can be charged on a household plug, its just that it will take about 3 days from empty to full!. So the question wouldn't be whether the genny was up to the job, but what the circumstances were. They may only need enough juice to get half a mile to a charger?

What would be useful would be a portable power pack (c/w universal connectors) to give just enough power to reach the nearest charge point in an emergency when going on a longer journey. I know such a device exists for 12V ICE car batteries, not sure about for EVs as it's not used in the same way.

Electric cars as reliable as we think? - mcb100
You can buy a portable power pack for EV’s.
There was a conversation on here about them a little while ago - they’re about the same size as a cabin baggage sized suitcase.
I’ve not seen an EV that won’t charge from a 3 pin plug, but it’s only going to charge at about 2.5kW. And, yes, it takes days rather than hours to go from discharged to ‘full’…