What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Filling up the van with diesel - Trilogy.

First time I've ever put over £100 of fuel in a vehicle. £107.55, the upside is it should last me 6 - 8 weeks

Filling up the van with diesel - badbusdriver

A tank of diesel in my Caddy will last me just under a month before the light comes on, but at 60 litres (even if it was completely dry), wouldn't cost more than £100, at the moment. Filled up on Monday at my local Asda and it was still under £1.50 at the time.

I had been wondering about pay at the pump (which I will use if I can) as there is a limit of £100. Maybe they will increase the limit as fuel prices continue to rise?.

Filling up the van with diesel - RT

I've got a 100 litre tank on my VW Touareg - on one occasion it needed 98 litres to fill so I'm well used to paying over £100

Filling up the van with diesel - nick62

Off topic, but I was in South Wales today. Most diesel around £1.53, in Liverpool its £1,59 and one Shell near me was £1.67.

Filling up the van with diesel - Andrew-T

.... one Shell near me was £1.67.

That must have been V-power, surely ? I bought some the other day at about that price - unless it was near a M'way exit ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/03/2022 at 23:22

Filling up the van with diesel - craig-pd130

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, fuel's always been a tenner, hasn't it? ;-)

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, fuel's always been a tenner, hasn't it? ;-)

Well you've always been able to use a tenner to pay for fuel...........

Unless of course (like my local Asda) it is pay at the pump only!

I haven't been back past Asda since Monday, but noticed that the new BP filling station on the outskirts of town is £1.58 per litre for diesel, Morrisons is £1.52.

Filling up the van with diesel - Metropolis.
Some people do operate on this basis,

Q. Fuel is expensive these days isnt it?
A. I dont know I just put in a tenner..
Filling up the van with diesel - kiss (keep it simple)

Still cheap enough for people to sit in car parks on their phones with the engine running.

Still cheap enough for people to sit in car parks on their phones with the engine running.

Or anywhere within half a mile of a school at finishing time.

Filling up the van with diesel - Bolt

Or anywhere within half a mile of a school at finishing time.

And yet you hear people moaning to others they can`t afford to run the car when they do the above....?

Filling up the van with diesel - kiss (keep it simple)

Maybe they're afraid the phone will flatten the battery.

Filling up the van with diesel - _

Am I one of the sane people out there.

I need the car.

It uses petrol.

when it needs it... fill it up.

It's no use being a cold lump of metal sitting on the driveway.

And here it is amusing to see the cars left engine running while mumsy walks her little angels the last few yards to the school gates..

Edited by _ORB_ on 03/03/2022 at 18:55

Filling up the van with diesel - Steveieb

Filled my Verso up with Esso super unleaded for the last time. OK no ethanol but at 1.75 a litre it’s just too much even the car goes so well on it. Smooth and extra power .

Sorry Esso ill only be filling my Honda lawn mower up with this stuff

Filling up the van with diesel - Xileno

I've seen a few people on Youtube showing how they remove the ethanol from petrol. OK for small quantities such as a lawnmower. Not sure what you do with the removed ethanol though. Usual disclaimer of doing it at your own risk etc. Maybe an additive is better (and safer)

Filling up the van with diesel - daveyjp

I've been out this afternoon and filled up at 1pm at an Esso station to benefit from a 5% discount. Unleaded was £1.52 and diesel was £1.58 when I filled. The delivery wagon was just arriving as I left.

I have just passed the same station and and it is now £1.58 for unleaded and £1.68 for diesel.

Filling up the van with diesel - Engineer Andy

I've been out this afternoon and filled up at 1pm at an Esso station to benefit from a 5% discount. Unleaded was £1.52 and diesel was £1.58 when I filled. The delivery wagon was just arriving as I left.

I have just passed the same station and and it is now £1.58 for unleaded and £1.68 for diesel.

Ouch. Glad I filled up (I haven't been doing much mileage for the last few years and it takes a good 3+ months to use up a tankfull) when it was 'only' £1.41 per litre for petrol (at my local Esso, then actually cheaper than the nearby Tesco) about a month ago.

The same filling station was selling fuel at £1.51 for petrol and £1.57 for diesel as of Thursday. Sounds like it could've gone up twice since then.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose - just before the pandemic struck, I paid £1.20 per litre at the same filling station, and days later it was down to £1.05.

At least we have no panic buying. Let's hope it doesn't return.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 05/03/2022 at 20:36

Filling up the van with diesel - RichT54

This morning the local Shell station in Sandhurst has petrol at £1.599 and diesel at £1.679 per litre.

Edited by RichT54 on 06/03/2022 at 11:08

Filling up the van with diesel - RT

This morning the local Shell station in Sandhurst has petrol at £1.599 and diesel at £1.679 per litre.

Shell has just bought a boatload of Russian crude oil at a substantial discount - I bet they don't pass that on to forecourt prices.

Filling up the van with diesel - daveyjp

The Esso station I passed twice on Sunday is now 163.9 unleaded and 175.9 for diesel.

Filling up the van with diesel - focussed

I've seen a few people on Youtube showing how they remove the ethanol from petrol. OK for small quantities such as a lawnmower. Not sure what you do with the removed ethanol though. Usual disclaimer of doing it at your own risk etc. Maybe an additive is better (and safer)

If you remove the ethanol from petrol, it lowers the octane number as the ethanol is an octane enhancer. Probably doesn't matter for lawn mowers etc but not advisable for cars.

Filling up the van with diesel - mcb100
If you’ve a Costco near you, it’s worth joining just for fuel. As of this morning, my local one has unleaded at 144.9, super unleaded at 150.9 and premium diesel at 148.9.
Filling up the van with diesel - sammy1

Prices in pennies and decimal places from one place to another does not mean a lot until you multiply up to old gallons and tanks full and only then do you realise the pain and potential rip off of some fuel stations

Filling up the van with diesel - FP

"Prices in pennies and decimal places from one place to another does not mean a lot until you multiply up to old gallons and tanks full..."

Sorry - this is a ridiculous statement. It makes no difference to what you pay if you convert litres to gallons, which I assume is what you mean. As you stand in front of a pump that dispenses fuel in litres, you must know roughly how many litres you put in each time and should know what you usually pay.

Why, when you pay 10p a litre more than else where the difference is 45p a gallon and upwards of £5 a tank or more.. When you get your bill in litres to work out your MPG you have to convert the litres or may be I just enjoy the maths and old school thinking

Prices in pennies and decimal places from one place to another does not mean a lot until you multiply up to old gallons and tanks full and only then do you realise the pain and potential rip off of some fuel stations

Yes, just imagine the mental pain if you multiplied it up into bushels ... or cubic metres :-)

I find the decimals an unnecessary distraction although I can't say they confuse me. We've got rid of the half pence in shops, maybe it's time to price fuel in whole pence.

Filling up the van with diesel - Engineer Andy

I find the decimals an unnecessary distraction although I can't say they confuse me. We've got rid of the half pence in shops, maybe it's time to price fuel in whole pence.

Psychology 101. It subliminary implies being far cheaper for the bill than the reality, which is mostly a handful of pennies for a full tank of fuel. Shops do the same with pricing their products (though less than they used to, especially with variable price online-only competitors) at £X.99.

I suspect the only reason why 1/2 pence pieces were dropped was because inflation made them essentially worthless, as only a tiny number of items cost less than 5p. To be honest, I'm surprised that 1 and 2p pieces haven't been dropped for the same reason - it's not as though you can buy 'penny sweets' any more... :-)

Filling up the van with diesel - Terry W

10,000 miles pa @ 40mpg = 250 gallons = 1150 Litres.

If the price of a litre goes up (say) 10p it's going to cost another £115 over the next year.

Not dissimilar to a Starbucks once a week, a couple of pints of bitter once a month, a take away curry every two months!

Annoying - but for most folk it is scarcely life changing.

Filling up the van with diesel - RichT54

10,000 miles pa @ 40mpg = 250 gallons = 1150 Litres.

If the price of a litre goes up (say) 10p it's going to cost another £115 over the next year.

Not dissimilar to a Starbucks once a week, a couple of pints of bitter once a month, a take away curry every two months!

Annoying - but for most folk it is scarcely life changing.

Except I don't think it will just go up another 10p a litre. It will soon reach £2 per litre and it won't stop there. It's not a case of 'if', just a case of 'when'.

You may be right but I hope not. We all get clobbered by higher prices in the shops when fuel goes up, no matter what energy our cars run on.

Or you can do what I’ve just done, and driven from Watford to Oldham (c220 miles) for £20 worth of electricity….
Or you can do what I’ve just done, and driven from Watford to Oldham (c220 miles) for £20 worth of electricity….

Congratulations there is no answer to this and you have killed the thread!!!

Ah, but you have needed to buy an expensive vehicle to do it .... :-)

No I haven’t, it’s not my car :).
Filling up the van with diesel - groaver

Lovely weather here the last few days. I took a run in my car yesterday. I sat at 60 mph on the motorway and noted almost everyone flying past me doing at least 70 mph. Most doing even more (some much more) in their 2 tonne boxes.

They can't moan about fuel prices if they are happy to take a big drop in their mpg.

No I haven’t, it’s not my car :).

Maybe it wasn't your leccy either ... :-)

Incidentally, did a 50-mile round trip (mostly M56) yesterday to visit family and reset the MPG calculator after putting in some super-diesel. Overall figure afterwards was 72mpg - not bad I thought.

Edited by Andrew-T on 07/03/2022 at 09:17