What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2003 1.6 auto - Electric window - bluenun

The drivers side electric window stopped working yesterday.

I had a look in my handbook and saw that number 38 fuse is for the right side electric window.

The fuse is fine, I swapped number 37 and 38 and still only the offside window works.

What should my next move be to find the fault?

Ford Focus 2003 1.6 auto - Electric window - elekie&a/c doctor
You’ll need to pull the door card off and check wiring to the motor / regulator . Chances are the motor is goosed . A multi meter or test light will be needed to check the circuit.

Thanks. I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube and have ordered a test light.

It was suggested that it could be the switch, motor or regulator.

I have not attempted to work on wiring before though.

Ford Focus 2003 1.6 auto - Electric window - Andrew-T

It could also be a wiring break in the hinge area, as the driver's door gets by far the most use and the wiring can get tired - especially after nearly 20 years.

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/03/2022 at 17:40

Good point.

When the test light arrives I will use it to test power wire on the switch and if power is not getting to the switch I will look for a break in the wire between the body and the door

If this is the case and I find a broken wire, what is the best way to repair it, with a crimp connector?

I’ve never seen a broken wire in the door shut of a mk1 Focus . My favourite would be the motor . Replaced loads of these .

My tester arrived today, I have power to the switch.

There is 1 yellow wire and 1 white wire from the switch to the regulator.

Only the white wire at the switch and regulator lights up.

Does this mean I have a faulty switch?

Yellow wire should light up one way and the white wire is the earth return., likewise,white wire should light light up with switch pressed the other direction, and the yellow will be the earth return . Looks like the switch may be your problem.
Looks like the switch may be your problem.

I doubt that 21st-century cars are that simple, but I have taken apart a non-op window switch from a Pug 205, cleaned up the innards and reassembled. All OK. :-)

Many thanks.

I did check multiple times to make sure.

I would really like to buy a new switch and you would think there would be an abundance of them for this common car but the only new ones I can find are for a left hand drive.

The code on the back of mine is YS4T 14529 BA

I can only find YS4T 14529 AA

Ford Focus 2003 1.6 auto - Electric window - sammy1

Can you try the switch on the other door to make sure?? or swop with the passenger door for the time being?

Don’t think so . The drivers door is a double switch , the passenger door is a single switch . I see no reason to not fit a left drive switch ,other than it’s likely the left and right door window operation will be reversed .

I would really like to buy a new switch and you would think there would be an abundance of them for this common car but the only new ones I can find are for a left hand drive.

You must be able to find one from a dismantler on E-bay. It's just the sort of part they can easily extract and post to you. You only need to be sure it's exactly correct.

I presume what matters is not whether the car is LHD or RHD, but whether the switch is for the driver door. Surely they aren't different shapes ?

Yes as acdoctor said, the drivers side is a double switch and the passenger a single switch.

Double is a 6 pin connector. I assume a 3 pin for the passenger side.

The YS4T 14529 AA (which ebay have plenty of) is for a left hand drive, the main button and passenger button are on the other side of the switch. I assumed this would not work on my car but acdoctor thinks it may.

I would still rather try to get the correct one first.

I can find plenty of second hand YS4T 14529 BA switches that is the same part number as the one I have taken out.

I’d go with a second hand switch, these rarely fail , so the chances of getting a good one are high . The passenger switch will have at least 4 pins .

I made a mistake, it was the first time I have used a test light for anything, I watched a couple more videos and realised I needed to press the switch button the other way also.

The white and yellow wires at the switch light up and the white and yellow wire at the motor light up.

The switch was posted today so nothing I can do about that.

I will buy a new regulator. I notice some do not come with the motor.

Do I need to buy the regulator and motor?

As I suggested in my original post , motors are the most likely suspect. Buy an aftermarket regulator and motor assembly. However, the wiring connector may be different, but the replacement unit will be supplied with an appropriate adaptor lead . A new unit from Ford will make the car a write off .

You did suggest that and it turns out you were correct.

I have never used a test light or worked on wiring before so it is a learning process for me.

Yes, I will get an aftermarket regulator and motor assembly.

Will I need to remove the window to replace the regulator and motor?.

The window is stuck in the closed position.

It’s not necessary to remove the glass , but it needs to be released from the 2 clamps of the regulator. The glass needs to be supported to stop it falling down into the door . Either tape it up or get an assistant to help .,

Understood, thank-you.

It’s not necessary to remove the glass , but it needs to be released from the 2 clamps of the regulator. The glass needs to be supported to stop it falling down into the door . Either tape it up or get an assistant to help .,

If you plan to DiY on a car of this age it's worth getting a Haynes manual. They are quite good for problems like this - plenty of photos.

Good suggestion, I bought a Haynes manual today and ordered the regulator with motor, 2 pin like the original one.

I also made sure I could get to the 2 bolts that clamp to the window, a small ratchet just fits.

I bought some rubber door wedges to help keep the window in the up position but I will also use tape as you suggested. I was not sure how best to do that but found this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEtZVMDRH2c

If it's anything like the window regs in a Pug 205, you may have some fun getting the reg in or out of the openings in the door, behind the card .... But should be worth it if it solves your problem.

Might be worth connecting the new reg to your wiring and seeing if it behaves, before any real dismantling ?

Thank-you Andrew, I will test the new regulator/motor before taking the old one out.

The regulator/motor arrived this afternoon and it is working like it used to.

Thanks to all that helped.