What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying advice, used Astra/Focus sized car up to 7k - swansea_karl

Recommendations please? Astra/Focus sized car. I am tempted by the Sandero but unsure of the boot size.

Thanks

Buying advice, used Astra/Focus sized car up to 7k - Ian D
Type Sandero boot size into Google and it says 320 litres,, 1200 with seats down….
Buying advice, used Astra/Focus sized car up to 7k - daveyK_UK
Fiat Tipo

Seriously under rated and the odd pre reg bargain about

Buying advice, used Astra/Focus sized car up to 7k - swansea_karl

I looked at the Tipo, very roomy and comfortable. And better value than an Astra or Focus.

Buying advice, used Astra/Focus sized car up to 7k - SLO76
I’d favour the better made and nicer driving Focus but I’d restrict the search to the 1.6 petrol which is a very robust Yamaha design. Avoid the diesels, Powershift autos and the fragile 1.0 Ecoboost.

I’d include the Astra in your search and again I’d stick with petrol. I’d add in the Mazda 3 (petrol), Honda Civic (petrol) and Toyota Auris (petrol) and I’d buy on condition and history over age, performance and spec.
Buying advice, used Astra/Focus sized car up to 7k - Chris M

An early Astra K is within budget. Diesel and the 1.4 turbos have had their issues in the earlier ones, but the 1.0 and 1.6 turbos have proved reliable. The OP would struggle to find a 1.6 within budget but the 1.0 is around in large numbers and is lively. Mid 40's mpg easily achievable and high 50's with a lighter foot on longer trips. RFL is £0 or £20 depending on trim (up to 2017), if that's important. I've had my 1.0T for nearly 5 years and am still very happy with it. My son bought one last summer and is equally pleased.

I read earlier this week that the Astra headed the list of 3 year old models that have increased in price the most. 53% up in a year! Can't recall where the data came from but it may have been CAP.

Buying advice, used Astra/Focus sized car up to 7k - daveyK_UK
Astra K have a few common issues, I know of a few on a fleet which have all had the rear washer pipe split near the passenger foot well and need a repair.
There were other common issues but nothing major.
You must avoid the Astra K 1.6 diesel if the dealer can’t confirm it hasn’t had the new clutch kit (don’t get taken in by it’s had a replacement, I know one which had 3 replacements before a proper fix was provided by PSA as when the Astra was under GM ownership they were useless at sorting the clutch issue out with the 1.6 diesel).

If and only if it’s been confirmed to have the new clutch kit then I would consider a diesel one, I know that sounds mad but they are a bit of a bargain at 3/4 years old but if it hasn’t had the clutch kit upgrade (not a mere replacement which is what dealers did for the first few years this issue surfaced) then you will end up paying for it.

The diesel 1.6 will do 10-15 more mpg than any of the petrol engine Astra’s.

It may be prudent to purchase one via Vauxhall Network Q so you get the 12 month warranty, make sure you ask the dealer the above in writing regarding clutch upgrade.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 27/02/2022 at 11:50