What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
JLR - Heated windscreens - Andy 1955

Hello again, not logged in for a while but check in regularly.

Re the question on main page about heated windscreens and the reply about Ford. In the sixties LR had them as an option and the Monte Carlo Mini's used them also (check out the pictures). I suspect Ford acquired the patent when they owned LR , That's why the first mainstream manufacturers to offer them were Ford; LR and Volvo who they also owned. Had them on company Mondeos from V reg only used occasionally as I garage my car.

JLR - Heated windscreens - RT

Ford's Quickclear patent was about the method of heating the windscreen, first used on the Ford Granada/Scorpio of 1985, long before aquiring Land Rover in 2000.

The system used in the Minis was a very fine layer of gold leaf embedded in the glass, effective but very expensive.

JLR - Heated windscreens - badbusdriver

The system used in the Minis was a very fine layer of gold leaf embedded in the glass, effective but very expensive.

I was under the impression that the heated windscreen used in the old Mini's was basically the same as a heated rear window. Only instead of having multiple fine elements, there was just two real thick ones, one above and one below the drivers eyeline. That certainly appears to be the case in this pic (from a mini forum);

632a1666ba5131bafdc4e636cc1e3b61ab002e5f.jpg

JLR - Heated windscreens - Steveieb

Anyone remember the heater bar supported on suction cups that we saw in the sixties?

Someone I know kept his and used it well into the eighties!

Anyone remember the heater bar supported on suction cups that we saw in the sixties?

Surely that would have been a huge drain on the car's battery?, especially in view that many cars on the road would be using 6V electrics.

Surely that would have been a huge drain on the car's battery?, especially in view that many cars on the road would be using 6V electrics.

They weren't that powerful!

JLR - Heated windscreens - RichT54

You can still buy them:

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/ca1384-container-windscreen-demister

JLR - Heated windscreens - kiss (keep it simple)

24 Watts! That's going to be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

JLR - Heated windscreens - edlithgow

24 Watts! That's going to be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

A hot water bottle works.

I suppose you could fill it with hot chocolate

Maybe play some Hot Chocolate on the 8-Track too..."I believe in miracles..twang twang..."

JLR - Heated windscreens - bathtub tom

Fitted one to my buuble car. It may have been what killed the dynastart, or it may have been the additional spotlamps!

JLR - Heated windscreens - mcb100
The patent expired years ago. I’m currently driving a Vauxhall Grandland with a heated screen, whilst the one in my own, 15 year old, S-Type Jaguar has the grand total of three elements still working.
JLR - Heated windscreens - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve had heated screens in many different Ford models from the mid 80s . For some bizarre reason, it’s always the drivers side section that fails first .
The patent expired years ago. I’m currently driving a Vauxhall Grandland with a heated screen, whilst the one in my own, 15 year old, S-Type Jaguar has the grand total of three elements still working.

The Ford Quickclear patent was just one specific method - GM had it's own design of heated windscreen which wasn't subject to Ford's patent.

JLR - Heated windscreens - Brit_in_Germany

The windscreens with the heated strips have gone out of fashion somewhat. I never liked the strips, especially driving towards the sun. Also, they had the effect of blocking GPS signals.

An electric heater to send warm air towards the screen is a fairly efficient alternative.

JLR - Heated windscreens - Xileno

I like the heated screen on my old Focus, still working perfectly at fifteen years. You need to keep the windscreen clean on the inside, any smearing etc. can cause the wires to be more visible in slightly foggy conditions.

If the ice is thick, sometimes I still throw a bit or warm water on the screen as it's quicker but the heated screen stops it freezing.

JLR - Heated windscreens - Andrew-T

If the ice is thick, sometimes I still throw a bit or warm water on the screen as it's quicker but the heated screen stops it freezing.

Back in the sixties, when I endured several Canadian winters, and car heaters were pretty primitive, especially on the Morris 1100 I drove, one could buy pieces of plastic sheet about A5 size with a self-adhesive edge. It was essentially a piece of double-glazing. Fairly useful on a side-window but it didn't really like being wound up and down inside the door.

I also tried smearing high-boiling alcohol such as dodecanol on the screen, which worked quite well for a few days. (from the lab of course ....)

Edited by Andrew-T on 14/02/2022 at 18:46

JLR - Heated windscreens - Trilogy.

A suitably flattened corrugated cardboard box is very effective in reducing/eliminating frost accumulating on a windscreen.

A suitably flattened corrugated cardboard box is very effective in reducing/eliminating frost accumulating on a windscreen.

Don't know if it is any good yet as I have not tried it, but I bought some de-icer the other day. It claims to be a 'two in one' product which. if you know it is going to be frosty, you just spray it (and leave it) on the windscreen the night before which (they claim), prevents the frost from forming. But you can also use it as a normal de-icer.

JLR - Heated windscreens - Alby Back
I suppose that’s one of the things I miss about smoking. ( I’m not an ex smoker or a non smoker, just a smoker who hasn’t smoked for decades) ;-)

Anyway, if the car was frosted over, it took about the time it also took to puff on a stogie, to defrost itself as you casually observed the process while leaning on a wall.