What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying at auction - Kevin Rayner

It seems that auction sites no longer admit the public and you have to register as a motor trader. Are there any sites that admit the public?

Buying at auction - daveyK_UK
Avoid BCA and Mainheim

Not only is it difficult for the public to buy (in theory you could apply for the basic trade card) the buyers fee at the basic trade card rates are extortionate

www.bca.co.uk/dam/jcr:5c0c8ad9-2ed0-4ba9-a294-3722...f

On top of those eye watering fees you have potential additional fees for items such as BCA assured report, etc

There are other regional auction houses that welcome the public and have reasonable fees. I would recommend you find your local auction and check where the cars are coming from.
If they are coming from a local main dealer but under a certain value (for example, my friend lives near an auction house which sells the Arnold Clark part Ex cars under £5k that they choose not to retail on the forecourt).

Be mindful of any auctions that effectively have 50% of the same stock going through each week with the hope of dumping it on an unsuspecting buyer.
Its worth attending and observing what the trade do at such auctions; they will only bid on a minority of the cars. Anything the trade avoids, you should avoid as it’s likely they will be in the know about a cars true condition.

Buying at auction - Ian D
I used to buy my my cars at auction (2 to 4 year old ex lease cars being sold by the lease company) but that was up to about 12 years ago, as said above fees for private buyers are now way too high. Not sure if you can stroll into a Manheim or BCA auction to see what is going on these days, I don’t see why not but I am sure someone else will clarify…
Buying at auction - pd

BCA are online only and highly unlikely to ever go back to physical auctions.

Manheim have a few physical auctions now for lower value cars but in the main are also online only.

Tried several auction sites now and they all require evidense of trader insurance. So looks like they has sewn up the trade and excluded the private buyer completely. Unless anybody has any current knowledge of a site that does not exclude the public?

Buying at auction - Terry W

I used to buy cars at auction until the private buyer fees became uneconomic. Their use by private buyers is impacted by the rise of search engines and online bidding sites (ebay etc).

I suspect that for the auction house, private buyers are far more hassle than trade - payment arrangements, minor claims against warranted cars, delays in collection due to insurance problems etc etc.

For lower value cars, search local, inspect and test drive.

For more expensive cars the model is rapidly changing - search, buy online, get warranty and (possibly) guaranteed return.

For an increasing number of folk a car is just an expensive "white good".

It is actually my son wanting his first car so I was expecting him to save a bot of money on get more for his budget. My car was bought at BCA but long before online auctions. It was so easy. Not sure I agree with private buyers being a hassel.

I know that BCA is now linked into to Cinch in some way so I assume they are controlling that market.

I forgot about ebay. I just don't want to go to a dealer. I have only ever bought second hand at a dealer many many years ago and both cars were complete duds.

Buying at auction - badbusdriver

It is actually my son wanting his first car so I was expecting him to save a bot of money on get more for his budget. My car was bought at BCA but long before online auctions. It was so easy. Not sure I agree with private buyers being a hassel.

I know that BCA is now linked into to Cinch in some way so I assume they are controlling that market.

I forgot about ebay. I just don't want to go to a dealer. I have only ever bought second hand at a dealer many many years ago and both cars were complete duds.

Once upon a time Joe public might have been able to buy a bargain from an auction (done it myself), but those days are long gone. Even if you do know what you are doing(?), your chances of actually getting a bargain are slim to zero.

If you don't want to go to a dealer, fair enough, buy privately. You can look up its MOT history online and if no alarm bells there, have a good look at your potential purchase.

Buying at auction - pd

I believe Aston Barclay are now allowing private buyers back again.

Buying at auction - daveyK_UK
BCA are expensive to traders, unless you buying 200+ cars a month and have black card membership the fees are not cheap.
Even those in the next level down (platinum card membership) the fees start rising,

Basic blue card or silver card the fees are expensive.

For example, here are the BCA assured report fees , this is a report they provide to most retail stock (they don’t both doing it to old bangers as it picks up too many issues).

All prices - excluding VAT

Black
£19.50

Platinum
£32.00

Gold
£37.00

Silver
£44.50

Blue
£49.50

Don’t forget, on top of the buyers fee is a mandatory administration fee of £125 + VAT which doesn’t include the V5 handling fee which is another £21.67 + vat

They don’t want the public or small traders, they barely want medium size traders.
Buying at auction - SLO76
Other than ex fleet 2-4yr old cars auction was never a wise place to buy for Joe Punter. I used to see him making costly mistakes every time I stood in an auction hall. Frantically bidding a knackered car up beyond retail money, not having noticed the major crash damage, wound back mileage or whistling turbocharger the trade clocked.

The best place to find a wee gem was always the private sale. Unlike at auction you get a chance to test drive it (walk if they say no) and speak to the last owner face to face. Remember, every car at an auction is there for a reason. It could be a fleet disposal (fair enough), it may be too old for that particular dealer group (you need to know who’s selling it and what their policy is), it might be an undesirable spec/colour or too up in the miles but more often than not there’s a hidden problem that caused the dealer who took it in to offload it. Remember this, dealers do not sell good cars off cheap, they’ll retail anything even half decent and send the junk that’ll cause grief or anything with a mileage discrepancy to the ring.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/02/2022 at 22:51