What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford - Mk1 Focus or Mk5 Fiesta, if you had the choice? - Malcolm T

Just wondering what people's responses would be. If you had the choice between average spec c. 2002 Focus and a Fiesta, both in similarly good condition and same mileage, what would you choose?

Edited by Malcolm T on 10/02/2022 at 14:09

Ford - Mk1 Focus or Mk5 Fiesta, if you had the choice? - badbusdriver

Surely down to personal preference (though obviously if you need more space, go for the Focus). Both decent cars for their day, especially the Focus, both pretty reliable (bearing in mind the age, and assuming they have been looked after) and drive well.

I wouldn't bother with a diesel of either and I'd probably leave the 1.3 Fiesta. Use the MOT history check to get an idea of how well the car has been looked after, and indications of impending rust related doom.

Ford - Mk1 Focus or Mk5 Fiesta, if you had the choice? - elekie&a/c doctor
Mk1 focus models are excellent and durable (petrol engines) . Parts are cheap and plentiful. Just watch for rot on sills and rear end suspension mounts .
Ford - Mk1 Focus or Mk5 Fiesta, if you had the choice? - Malcolm T

Parts must be cheap and plentiful for the Fiesta too. So I suppose it would come down more to reliability. Admittedly I haven't driven the 02 Fiesta.

Ford - Mk1 Focus or Mk5 Fiesta, if you had the choice? - Xileno

If the same age, condition and mileage then I would take the Focus. But that is rarely the case so it would be all about condition at this age.