What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW oil level too high - FoxyJukebox

I checked the oil level of my son's 2018 VW Golf and the dipstick was reading over full. The car is going fine.I appreciate that this is undesirable but wonder if the oil warning light will register "warning" if too much oil is present?

I suspect it was overfilled inadvertently when being topped up. He hasn't had oil changed for 10 months so I will advise him to either ask VW to drain some out or change the oil and the filter a few weeks earlier than the 12 month service period is due. BUT-Bearing in mind no warning lights are showing -should he just leave it for a few weeks?

VW oil level too high - mcb100
Is it a diesel, by any chance?
Could it be oil diluted with diesel as a result of failed DPF regens?
VW oil level too high - FoxyJukebox

It's petrol......sorry...should have mentioned that

VW oil level too high - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t think I’d be too worried about it . Check it again with a cold engine after an overnight stand , on level ground . It’s very easy to overfill modern engines , as it takes a long while for any residue to drain down to the sump , so if you top it up , you end up with an excess level .
VW oil level too high - Robert J.
I have vague memories of a similar post from years ago. I recall one back roomer commenting that there is a danger of the big end bearings hitting the oil and thrashing it into a foam.
VW oil level too high - bathtub tom
there is a danger of the big end bearings hitting the oil and thrashing it into a foam.

They used to call it 'splash lubrication' before the days of oil pumps.

VW oil level too high - FP

I thought the danger of over-filling engine oil was that it stresses oil seals and may lead to leaks.

Edited by FP on 11/02/2022 at 20:13

I thought the danger of over-filling engine oil was that it stresses oil seals and may lead to leaks.

I used to compete an Austin Maxi and experiencing 'oil surge' on corners, I consulted their competition department (those were the days, when you could ring someone up who had knowledge). They replied that I could overfill the sump or fit baffle plates, as they'd had no problems in the Mexico rally cars. I decided to try the overfill solution and prpomptly blew the clutch oil seal!

VW oil level too high - edlithgow

I used to compete an Austin Maxi and experiencing 'oil surge' on corners, I consulted their competition department (those were the days, when you could ring someone up who had knowledge). They replied that I could overfill the sump or fit baffle plates, as they'd had no problems in the Mexico rally cars. I decided to try the overfill solution and prpomptly blew the clutch oil seal

So perhaps that should be "Those were the days, when you could ring someone up who maybe had knowledge but would STILL give you bad advice ?"

Having said that, I can't offhand see why an overfilled sump is going to blow seals. Surely oil pressure is independent of oil level until the pump sucks air?

OTOH, big ends clouting/beating the oil surface and whipping it up seems to make sense.

Is it a diesel, by any chance? Could it be oil diluted with diesel as a result of failed DPF regens?

Fuel dilution isn't restricted to diesels. IIRC petrol Honda CR-V's do/did it, to the extent there was a class action in the US

VW oil level too high - RT
Is it a diesel, by any chance? Could it be oil diluted with diesel as a result of failed DPF regens?

Fuel dilution isn't restricted to diesels. IIRC petrol Honda CR-V's do/did it, to the extent there was a class action in the US

All petrol engines have oil dilution to some extent, but the petrol evaporates away every time the engine warms up - the difference for diesels is that the fuel does evaporate at normal working temperatures.

VW oil level too high - brum

VW petrol engines oil level should be checked with the engine at normal working temperature. Level ground. Turn engine off. Wait 3 to 5 minutes. Then pull dipstick, wipe, redip and read. The oil level should not exceed the top of the marked area on the dipstick, refer to the manual for an accurate description as different styles of stick exist

Not above area B in these diagrams

www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?attachments/2015-.../

Overfilling can lead to catalytic converter and GPF damage, in cases where there is gross overfilling, the crank can thrash the oil and aerate it, which in turn can cause dramatic loss of oil pressure as the oil pump cannot pump aerated fluid. Also the possibility of excessive crankcase pressure causing oil seals to leak

Your son's car will have a level sensor, which is mainly there to monitor oil temperature and check for low oil level. Some cars do check for high oil level, but not sure in this case.

How far over the max marking is it? A few mm is not serious, 10mm or more would be worrying.

VW oil level too high - sammy1

Most manufacturers advise that overfilling can lead to catalytic converter failure, a very expensive mistake hence the max mark on the dipstick

With the electronic level sensor on a BMW the difference between low and Max is 1 litre so when the warning comes on you can safely add this amount

VW oil level too high - Bolt

Most manufacturers advise that overfilling can lead to catalytic converter failure, a very expensive mistake hence the max mark on the dipstick

Yes but it still comes down to the amount its overfilled by, a few mm most get away with, but more than that (depending on engine) can be more damaging, to a certain extent the downward force of the pistons compressing the air in the lower cylinder with overfilled oil the speed of compression is like air hitting concrete the force pushes the oil past the seals as it has nowhere to go, so its not just crank turning that causes a problem its the piston compressing the air in the sump as well

Yes but it still comes down to the amount its overfilled by, a few mm most get away with, but more than that (depending on engine) can be more damaging, to a certain extent the downward force of the pistons compressing the air in the lower cylinder with overfilled oil the speed of compression is like air hitting concrete the force pushes the oil past the seals as it has nowhere to go, so its not just crank turning that causes a problem its the piston compressing the air in the sump as well

On a multi-cylinder engine wouldnt piston effects cancel out, what goes up must come down stylee?

Seems like clogging of crankcase breather circuit with excess oil spray might cause pressurisation, and excess oil blowby from the same source (which is burned) might also be expected to upset the catalyst

the downward force of the pistons compressing the air in the lower cylinder

Wouldn't that only affect twin cylinder boxer engines and single cylinder engines. I've seen a twin cylinder boxer in an early Jowett that had a PCV (pressure control valve) in the oil filler neck that closed during the upward piston throw, thus creating a partial vacuum in the sump and opened on the downward stroke, thus allowing pressure to escape. This valve failed, causing oil to be blown out the engine everywhere.

Two strokes depend on crankcase pressure to transfer the fuel/air mixture into the combustion chamber.

I've seen a single cylinder four stroke golf cart motor (Yamaha IIRC) that uses the crankcase pressure pulses to operate the fuel pump.

Edited by bathtub tom on 13/02/2022 at 12:17

All petrol engines have oil dilution to some extent, but the petrol evaporates away every time the engine warms up - the difference for diesels is that the fuel does evaporate at normal working temperatures.

My recollection is that the CR-V (and Civic) models affected had rising oil levels even in mild climates and reasonably long runs, though short tripping in the cold was of course worse. Since petrol is a mixture, the light end tends to evaporate and the heavy end tends to stick around, becoming concentrated over time and tending to degrade the oil.

IIRC Honda gave it the "They all do that sir" jive but fiddled around with the software, suggesting they all don't do it quite as badly. I think they settled in the end.

VW oil level too high - brum

The main reason for oil dilution in a petrol car is from cold starts, when the fuel/air mixture is deliberately rich to deliver unburnt fuel to the catalytic converter in order to heat it up, and very short runs so oil temperature is always too low to evaporate the petrol dilution consequently. A rare scenario for most people. Should never be a problem in a Golf with a close coupled Cat.

People should get into the routine of checking oil level regularly anyway, always after a oil change service. Use a constant method, taking care to make sure the accuracy of readings. Engine at normal working temperature, level ground, turn off, wait 5 mins and then check.

VW oil level too high - RT

The main reason for oil dilution in a petrol car is from cold starts, when the fuel/air mixture is deliberately rich to deliver unburnt fuel to the catalytic converter in order to heat it up, and very short runs so oil temperature is always too low to evaporate the petrol dilution consequently. A rare scenario for most people. Should never be a problem in a Golf with a close coupled Cat.

People should get into the routine of checking oil level regularly anyway, always after a oil change service. Use a constant method, taking care to make sure the accuracy of readings. Engine at normal working temperature, level ground, turn off, wait 5 mins and then check.

It's actually a common scenario when vehicles are used for predominantly short journeys - although not an issue when regularly interspersed with longer journeys.

It's actually a common scenario when vehicles are used for predominantly short journeys - although not an issue when regularly interspersed with longer journeys.

I avoid it by using butane as a choke substitute, though I suppose this would be difficult on a modern car unless one could somehow override the starting enrichment function, which I assume does not refer to mixture strength feedback from the O2 sensors.

DP, SORRY

Edited by edlithgow on 14/02/2022 at 10:14