What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Reliable small cars for under 3 grand - JCBBFC27

Hello after getting rid of my old financed car I'm looking for a new small car which is reliable, good on fuel and not too boring with a budget of 3 thousand pounds. I know this is a good place for suggestions thank you.

Reliable small cars for under 3 grand - thunderbird

That was quick. You only asked about doing it yesterday at 13.15, 27 hours later its sorted and that is at the weekend.

Seems incredibly fast to me.

Reliable small cars for under 3 grand - badbusdriver

£3k really isn't much, and presumably you are not going to want to travel far to view a car at that price. So rather than come up with a list of cars which should be reliable, just go and look at cars in your area, look at their MOT histories and assuming nothing to alarming, judge on condition.

Even a car which should be reliable could be a lemon after 15 years and however many potentially neglectful owners. And for similar reasons, a car which you maybe wouldn't automatically assume to be reliable, could be a brilliant buy if it has had caring owners.

All you can do is keep it as simple as possible, n/a petrol engine, manual gearbox.

Reliable small cars for under 3 grand - Andrew-T

So rather than come up with a list of cars which should be reliable, just go and look at cars in your area, look at their MOT histories and assuming nothing to alarming, judge on condition.

And you could look back over the last few weeks/months on this forum for answers to other enquirers asking just the same question :-)

Reliable small cars for under 3 grand - badbusdriver

So rather than come up with a list of cars which should be reliable, just go and look at cars in your area, look at their MOT histories and assuming nothing to alarming, judge on condition.

And you could look back over the last few weeks/months on this forum for answers to other enquirers asking just the same question :-)

That is true, not really an exclusive subject is it?!.

Surely worth checking a page or three of previous threads before starting your own to see if there is one relevant to your own question?.

Hey ho!

Reliable small cars for under 3 grand - SLO76
Remove the words “not too boring” from your request or you’ll probably overlook the right car here. Fun and image are irrelevant at this money, reliability and ease of repair area. Tell me roughly where you live and I’ll look for cars worth a viewing.

Yeah let's remove the boring part haha. Thank you for the helpful reply. I live in the north west near Blackpool UK

These are cheap to run yet reliable and fun to drive. Tough chain driven Daihatsu designed motor will run to 150k with proper maintenance. At this money I favour private sales as your money will go further and you’re more likely to find an honest car. But make sure you take a knowledgeable person with you and I’d hpi any car you decide to buy.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/peugeot-107-hatchback-2012-manual-998-cc-5-doors/1424845723?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Sounds and looks well cared for and has been in the same family long term I believe. These are tough (if you stick with the Yamaha 1.6 petrol) and good to drive. Private sale again so there will be room to negotiate.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/ford-focus-hatchback-2011-manual-1596-cc-5-doors/1424396551?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Looks a well cared for little car and these are very robust and practical. Great on fuel and although they’re pretty dull to drive this is the better engine and it at least looks a bit sporty in Si spec. Up in the miles but well worth £3k or slightly more if it’s as nice as described. Listen for gearbox noises and check the clutch isn’t nearing the end of its life. Not that they’re any more prone to these issues than anything else but typical Jazz owners are a bit heavy on clutches.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-jazz-14-si-i-vtec-5-doors-hatchbackfull-honda-service-historylow-insurance-2014/1424784249?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Edited by SLO76 on 31/01/2022 at 17:24

Thank you very much for the suggestions and advice I'll have a good look and update you's where I get.