What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Current process for Salvage car purchase? - daveyK_UK
Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help.

My friend has his heart set on purchasing a salvage car with light damage (I can’t recall if it’s a Cat N or cat S).

The car in question does not have a log book, the company selling it told him to get a V62 and go to the post office where he can apply for the V5 and tax the car at the same time.

Is this correct?
Provided it’s one of the larger post office branches that deals with car tax, can he tax the vehicle by simply submitting a V62 at the same time?
The only proof he will have for owning the car will be a receipt from the car breakers.

One bit of detail worth adding is the car has MOT until May.

On a side note, the compound where the car is located is around 5 miles from the post office; if the car is insured prior to leaving the compound would he be okay driving the 5 miles or would he need someone (probably me!) to drive him to the post office and then drop him back at the compound?

Sorry for all tue questions but I haven’t purchased a damage repairable since the days of category C & D

Current process for Salvage car purchase? - sammy1

To drive the car if indeed it is road legal because of its cat it should be insured and taxed before removal from the salvage yard. You do not need proof of ownership to tax with the V62 but it will cost you £25