What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Reliable family car £5000 - ArvyD

Hi everyone,

Just found this superb website!

We are family of 4, two kids, 5 and 2 yo.

We are looking for a reliable family car.

We used to have a honda jazz, 2013, automatic, which was brilliant from the technical aspects. No issues at all while having it. We sold it. The problem was .. it wasn't enough head room for ME:)), I'm too tall for this car :)).

I thinking about Toyota verso, mid suv like toyota rav4, vw Touran. .. but I'm not sure which year, engines to avoid... Our budget would be ~£5000

I'm happy to hear your advice, experience on other car brands you might own.

Thank you,

Arvy

Edited by ArvyD on 27/01/2022 at 09:57

Reliable family car £5000 - badbusdriver

Sadly in the current market, £5k is not going to get you very far. For example, it is unlikely to get you a younger car than your Jazz.

That doesn't mean you find find a reliable car, but you need to be realistic with your expectations. Out of your own suggestions, yes to the two Toyota's with petrol engines.

Yes to the Touran as long as it is the non FSI 1.6 petrol (this will be rated as 100-105bhp) rather than any of the others available. The1.6 FSI (113-115bhp) isn't that reliable, nor are the early chain drive TSI engines (1.4, 138bhp). The diesels are a mixed bunch, but overall, unless you need one for towing or covering many miles, not worth the risk as repairs will cost much more than a petrol, wiping out what you've saved in fuel and tax.

Others to consider (all with petrol engines) would be the Ford C-Max (not the 1.0 Ecoboost), Honda CRV and FRV, Mazda 5, Vauxhall Zafira.

Reliable family car £5000 - thunderbird

You need to get round local dealers and see which you feel comfortable in, only you can decide that. Then search for the best example (locally again) within your budget.

thunderbird,

Will stay locally, don't really want fo too far..:)

Should also have asked if you are after another auto?.

If so, the Toyota's are fine. Touran would be OK as long as it isn't a DSG, C-Max is OK as long as it isn't the Powershift. CRV, FRV, Mazda 5 and Zafira all OK as auto's.

Looks like I'm going towards Toyota Verso, it fits our needs and my headroom too lol.

I noticed that there is a huge headroom over drivers head:))

Thank you

badbusdriver,

I see...

Well i might add extra cash to it .

Thank you for your insight into the the types of engine to be aware, very helpful!!

Edited by ArvyD on 31/01/2022 at 19:50

Edited by ArvyD on 31/01/2022 at 19:49

Reliable family car £5000 - SLO76
You’ll struggle to get something as reliable as your Jazz for that money, especially if it has to be an MPV or SUV. I’d suggest trying some ordinary family hatchbacks from the class up such as the Civic, Auris, Mazda 3 and Focus etc. A Ford C-Max might fit the bill, ditto the Toyota Verso. But at this money I’d stick with petrol and I’d avoid anything fitting with a fragile automated manual gearboxes such as Fords Powershift and VAG’s DSG. Above all keep it simple and buy on condition over mileage and age.

Does it need to be an automatic? What sort of usage will it see? and is that £5,000 strictly limited or can you find more if the right car was found? Let me know roughly where will you be looking and I’ll look for worthwhile options.

Well with the last our car we made 3k miles in a year,

It wasn't nothing heavy in use. Drop out pick up kid from the nursery, local shopping, weekend ours locally, and couple trips to Dover from Bucks..

Nothing crazy in our case ..

I'm going towards Toyota Verso, it fits our needs and my personal measurement needs too lol..

I saw some verso on autotrader, what would you say about these ones..?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201271849546?a...a

It’s a no for the red one, the automated manual MMT gearbox was one of the rare times when Toyota got it wrong. These are unpleasant to use and inherently unreliable gearboxes. The 12 plate car uses a much more robust CVT transmission but there’s no mention of service history and despite being generally very tough these cars still need fresh oil every year. If there’s no proof of regular servicing look elsewhere.

I’d widen the search a bit, while the Toyota is a good car (MMT aside) it’s hard to find and many have been neglected. Don’t focus on one particular make and model when searching on a tight budget.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/01/2022 at 20:03

Hello guys, thank you for your answers!

Sorry for being quite for a while.

Been lost in autotrader and other life aspects.

Me and my wife had another conversation about our budget for the car. We decided to increase our budget. Being in mind with today fuel prices we were about Toyota Prius, but for our budget it was impossible to get a sound car for 7-8k both private sale and dealer.

Its a lot of money, but still was something wrong with those hybrids..

We said goodbye for Prius and focused on diesel cars.

On our list are 2012 + year 2.0 l, manual estates: up to 100k miles on clock (potentially on finance)

VW Passat, SKODA Octavia or Superb, Toyota Avensis.

I like Passat, very speciuos, looks nicer on and out, but not sure about vw reliability.. been reading some good and bad reviews on autotrader. Someone was saying "engine is solid, but parts around engine are cheap import" other was writing "it's ok up to 80k miles and then leave it alone, a lot electric problems" like el park brake and other.

I noticed that Skoda Octavia is a bit less roomy than passat, but its ok, i can fit myself in with adjusted seat position, also has a "proper" park brake :), and looks like you can get more out of the car, higher specs and upholstery, very good reviews on Skoda estates.

I haven't seen avensis so far, but it looks decent family car too.. it has el park brake also.. :/

Mind is to get a decent Skoda Octavia or a bit more spacious Superb.

What your thoughts on 2012 + VW Passat's reliability..?

Thank you,

“ What your thoughts on 2012 + VW Passat's reliability..?”

If you need an auto then the answer is summed up in one word… appalling. The automated twin clutch manual DSG box has a terrible reputation for reliability and on your budget you’d be right at the stage any failures are likely to happen. Avoid at all costs. Manual cars can be ok but the 1.6 diesels and early chain driven TSi petrols are unreliable and best avoided too. This isn’t the car for you.

Edited by ArvyD on 15/03/2022 at 14:02

And this one:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201311976466?a...a

Many thanks,

Edited by ArvyD on 31/01/2022 at 19:45

Those two links take me to the same car in both cases. MOT history looks OK, you may need new front brake pads soon, but nothing alarming.

Sorry, I was forgetting all about the MMT gearbox on certain ages of Corolla and Corolla Verso. As SLO says, better to avoid.

But just to be clear, the RAV4 never used that gearbox.

Hello guys, thank you for your answers!

Sorry for being quite for a while.

Been lost in autotrader and other life aspects.

Me and my wife had another conversation about our budget for the car. We decided to increase our budget. Being in mind with today fuel prices we were about Toyota Prius, but for our budget it was impossible to get a sound car for 7-8k both private sale and dealer.

Its a lot of money, but still was something wrong with those hybrids..

We said goodbye for Prius and focused on diesel cars.

On our list are 2012 + year 2.0 l, manual estates: up to 100k miles on clock (potentially on finance)

VW Passat, SKODA Octavia or Superb, Toyota Avensis.

I like Passat, very speciuos, looks nicer on and out, but not sure about vw reliability.. been reading some good and bad reviews on autotrader. Someone was saying "engine is solid, but parts around engine are cheap import" other was writing "it's ok up to 80k miles and then leave it alone, a lot electric problems" like el park brake and other.

I noticed that Skoda Octavia is a bit less roomy than passat, but its ok, i can fit myself in with adjusted seat position, also has a "proper" park brake :), and looks like you can get more out of the car, higher specs and upholstery, very good reviews on Skoda estates.

I haven't seen avensis so far, but it looks decent family car too.. it has el park brake also.. :/

Mind is to get a decent Skoda Octavia or a bit more spacious Superb.

What your thoughts on 2012 + VW Passat's reliability..?

Thank you,

Thinking about any 10+ year old diesel when you are covering 3k miles per year sounds like a particularly bad idea.

And we still don't even know if this car will be auto manual.

Morning guys,

My apologies, i thought I mentioned that it going to be a manual gearbox car, I guess less problematic with manual gearbox..

There is a worry about diesels as they bring dpf issues, we would love to have a roy estate, but looks like we have to say goodbye to them too.

On the note side I'm 6'2 height.

Probably have to stick with hatchback or sedan might be more roomy cabin for driver.

Every car I view, the first thing I check can I fit myself in, a bit tricky when banging front and side. I love Honda civic, but too low for my height:/

If you would have 7-8k, what would you suggest for reliability and fuel efficient..?

Thank you,

Reliable family car £5000 - Big John

On the note side I'm 6'2 height.

For a tall driver I'd strongly recommend a VAG (VW Audi Group) car - despite a bit of a dislike on this forum. I think one of the VW directors was tall so insisted he fitted into the cars. I'm 6ft 4" tall and have always had trouble re head/leg room & B pillar position with many makes of cars.

With your upped budget you are now in the range of a petrol Octavia with the fabulous EA211 engine - be it 1.2 tsi, 1.4 tsi or the later 1.0 tsi. My son had trouble finding a suitable car as he is 6ft 5" tall and eventually bought a 2016 mkIII 1.2tsi Octavia in 2019 and he loves it. It's roomy, has a HUGE boot, refined, has been reliable, quite nippy and long journeys are usually 50mpg+ Another car to consider is the Seat Leon tsi.

Don't confuse the later EA211(oil filter at low level) with the older and totally different and less reliable EA111 tsi cam chain engines (oil filter at high level above the alternator) . The mkIII Octavia 1.0/1.2/1.4 was only fitted with the later good engine though.

Saying that, myself I have the EA111 1.4tsi in a 2014 Skoda Superb II which I got rather cheap when only 14 months old - Fast forward to 2022 - over 8 years old / 100k miles and all is well. It's probably fitted with the latest revision of cam chain/tensioner and has had regular 9.5k mile oil changes(not longlife!). For a big petrol bus it's proving more economical than I originally expected - I've been averaging circa 46mpg. It's heaven for the taller driver especially with those bigger front doors. The rear legroom is something else!

[EDIT] Toyota Verso manual would also be fine - just don't buy the auto!

Edited by Big John on 22/03/2022 at 16:51