What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - privateinvestor

Police have withdrawn some of their high-powered BMWs as others are given speed restrictions amid safety fears following the death of an officer.

Northumbria, Hertfordshire and Cumbria are among the forces that have replaced the cars, used largely by traffic and armed response officers, amid concerns over a technical fault in certain engine types.

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - Metropolis.
It still disgusts me that taxpayers money goes to foreign brands. And yes, I do know the surviving UK brands are foreign owned…
N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - pd

BMW makes cars in the UK along with engines.

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - sammy1

I would like to know what manufacturer is putting itself forward to supply the police with the high power vehicles they require . You have only to watch the likes of Police Interceptors and others to see the hard life the BMWs have. Any suggestion for a suitable alternative I cannot think of one?

If they must have high powered midsize execs, the direct competitor to the 5 series is the Jag XF. They also like buying BMW X5s, cant think why. Now, I suspect a chorus will arrive shortly to talk about JLR reliability.. but are they any worse than the Rovers ever were?

Germans use Mere E Class.

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - craig-pd130

I would like to know what manufacturer is putting itself forward to supply the police with the high power vehicles they require . You have only to watch the likes of Police Interceptors and others to see the hard life the BMWs have. Any suggestion for a suitable alternative I cannot think of one?

Some forces used to use the V6-engined Vectras, there was the infamous case in which an officer was cleared of charges after being caught at 159mph in a new, unmarked Vectra GSi because he was "a highly skilled driver" and was "testing the car's capabilities."

Good luck to any civilian trying that defence if caught speeding ....

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - barney100

Expensive cars should be replaced by the appropriate sized boots to put the boys in blue back on the beat. The money thus saved would help put more on the beat, I haven't seen a policeman down my way for years.

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - Andrew-T

Expensive cars should be replaced by the appropriate sized boots to put the boys in blue back on the beat. The money thus saved would help put more on the beat, I haven't seen a policeman down my way for years.

Good idea, but you would need to find a way to restore public respect for bobbies at the same time. I think the usual scallies behave as they do because they have pretty minimal chance of any serious repercussions.

Bring back British Leyland.

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - Xileno

I may be wrong on this but I'm sure I've read that the manufacturers provide their cars to the Police at very preferential rates as they consider it good publicity to have their cars out and about. So it may be that BMW just offer the best deals. With all public sector procurement the best value for the tax payer is a criteria.

As it applies to the N57 diesels it looks like the well-known EGR valve fix isn't as robust as BMW hoped ...

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - Steveieb

My local ambulance service has changed from Volvo to Skoda for paramedic s but they told me they are not up to the job like Volvo

I'm surprised there are many/any N57 engined cars in service with the police left. It was phased out 5-6 years ago now.

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - badbusdriver

I know it isn't always correct, but according to Wikipedia the N57 is still being used in several BMW's.

It may be right but I thought the "N" series had been replaced with the "B" series.

The 4/6 cylinder M47/M57 were replaced by the N47/N57 and then they were replaced with B47/57.

The N-series dates from 2007 and was the one with timing chain issues in its early years.

It may be right but I thought the "N" series had been replaced with the "B" series.

Yes, Wiki (confusingly) concurs with that. But it also gives an extensive list of all the different cars which used the different versions of the N57 (there are six), when they went into production and when production stopped. Out of the thirty three cars listed, seven have no date listed for the end of production. Out of the rest, there are two which only went out of production in 2019, and a further three in 2018.

It does not list the countries where these specific models are sold though, so the info may not relate to the UK.

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - PhilDS

The models shown with no production end date have all been superseded. Wiki just needs updating I guess

Here is an article on it that is not behind a paywall

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/polii...p
N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - Miniman777
More here: www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/760779.../

Appears to release to possible strain on engine unnamed components, connected to non-standard servicing. Can’t imagine the straight six 3.0diesel engines come cheap. Lovely torquey engine, got one in my car.

Oh, these are B57 engines

Edited by Miniman777 on 28/01/2022 at 21:54

Appears to release to possible strain on engine unnamed components, connected to non-standard servicing.

It may depend on the individual police force and whether they farm their servicing out. When I had a BMW and dropped it into the supplying South Manchester main dealer for service, there was always a couple of marked police cars in the service bay.

I know that the 'squad package' cars supplied by US manufacturers to police forces over there had uprated, high-capacity cooling systems, to cope with the extremes of long periods of idling / pootling around then suddenly being hooned at high speed, as well as the usual upgrades to suspension, electrical systems etc.

It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - John F
It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant....

Did they use Baby Bio on their new 6.6 litre V12?

Apologies John but youve lost me!
Apologies John but youve lost me!

"440 cubic inch plant",

Baby Bio is plant food.

Not sure where the 6.6 litre V12 comes in though, as 440 cubic inches equals 7.2 litres, and it was a V8 (in the 'Blues Mobile')

N57 engine - BMW reliability - again - is this a joke - steve grant

It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

:-)

Edited by steve grant on 30/01/2022 at 18:06

:-)

Elwood:

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark out and we're wearing sunglasses"

Jake:

"Hit it!"

(genius!)