What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - Steveieb

News today that as part of your Flexplus current account, Nationwide has swapped to using the AA for recovery.

Will this mean more vehicles fixed at the roadside and less convenient recovery to your chosen repair centre.

Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - Big John

I'm watching with interest as I have Flexplus - the move to the AA is from 1st March. It looks pretty comprehensive though including onward travel possibilities and European cover.

www.nationwide.co.uk/-/assets/nationwidecouk/docum...2

Never had any problems with Britannia recovering to your assigned repair centre but heard some horror stories about the Relay system.
it took 14 hours to recover the car and passengers from Dover to Northamptonshire with three stops and associated waits / loading unloading

Hmm - I've been reading a couple of things not covered/restricted with the new AA cover that worry me:

Not insured - "The same or similar cause of breakdown attended by us in the previous 28 days". Slightly worried about that one, so if you have had a repair done either at roadside or local garage but it's not successful - are you stranded?

Not insured - "Personal luggage and equipment"

Not insured - "Additional costs as a result of travelling with pets"

Restriction - "Your nominated vehicle will not be recovered if it will cost more than its current market value, or if the cost of repairs is £500 or less". So if you have engine/gearbox failure that could be a problem if your car is not near new these days OR are you stranded if it's a cheap repair but that can't be done immediately/quickly.

Was it startrescue that was recommended by ORB?

Edited by Big John on 26/01/2022 at 21:34

Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - Xileno

Yes it was, www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=159728

I've also gone with Startrescue this year.

Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - Will deBeast

>> Restriction - "Your nominated vehicle will not be recovered if it will cost more than its current market value, or if the cost of repairs is £500 or less"

That would be a huge problem. I'd have thought most breakdown repairs are likely to be £500 or less. Minor electrical issues. Broken throttle cables. Radiator leaks. Gear selectors.

I too have left Nationwide/Brittania since they left me stranded at The airport after refusing to allow my daughters dog in the recovery truck.

Start rescue are sympathetic to this and scored next best to AXA in Which.

The exclusions highlighted are deeply disturbing and need to be addressed before the eventual call for assistance.

All our vehicles are low value so this cover may no longer be suitable

Thanks to big John for investigating.
There are so many restrictions with AA that motorists who simply need a recovery service to their preferred repairer may be advised to look elsewhere.

On balance - it's surprisingly difficult to view the exclusions and restrictions of other breakdown recovery companies BEFORE? you buy the policy. I've been trying to compare.

In recent years I've used GEM and Autoaid - back in the day I used the RAC for many years (decades!) and Greenflag for a while.

I gain the impression that AA are very reluctant to recover a vehicle preferring instead to fix on site.

But with older vehicles this may not be possible without the correct spare parts.

Another concern is the long convoluted relay service which attempts to consolidate recoveries rather than deliver direct.

Grateful your views.

And whether Nationwide have negotiated a more restrictive policy with AA to save costs ?

I've had a quick look at startrescue terms and conditions which you can download before buying. I can't see any claim restriction regarding the market value of the vehicle except for overseas repatriation. That seems standard on overseas cover, annoying though it is. It doesn't cost more to repatriate an old car than a new one.

Grateful your views.

And whether Nationwide have negotiated a more restrictive policy with AA to save costs ?

I will phone up the number given for clarification.

For us it's worth having the joint Flexplus account anyway for other reasons - not least the effective worldwide travel insurance inc covid cover. This has been difficult for us in the past due to a serious previous health condition - it's not been much of a problem with NW as questions only probe the last year or so. I also save a surprising amount for foreign cash transactions/ withdrawals which are free re fee or exchange rate transaction %.

Ignoring recent events European breakdown cover is essential for me - this can be expensive with some other breakdown organisations.

Any current opinion re a previous forum favourite breakdown organisation - Autoaid. A joint personal cover quote covering Mr&Mrs BJ is only £59.99. Startrescue for two is £125.61 (Both UK only)

Edited by Big John on 27/01/2022 at 20:47

Start Rescue beat Autoaid and Brittania in Whch. But I’m not sure if the Nationwide cover is a slimmed down version of A A.

The new cover with AA seems to have so many loopholes. Just need recovery to my indie whenever the Van breaks down, which Brittania had no problems with .

Whilst researching breakdown in Start rescue I've clearly triggered something - I've ended up with a 15% off code "FRESHSTARTS"

Last Thursdays Rip off Britain featured a motorist that had hit the kerb with his low profile tyres and was refused by the RAC because it was damage he had caused.

He was paying £28 a month and received this response when he made a request. But it took three hours for the RAC to cone to this decision.

Its stories like this that explain how these recovery services respond , but it’s usually too late to get assistance.

Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - joe9109

I have had a bit of experience with the flexplus switch to AA some 2 years ago we had to get recovered when the car clutch went we asked them to take it to a dealer 20 miles away where the car gets serviced & they would not return me to my home town which was a bit off given it was a Sunday & few public transport.

Contrast that to the AA today when my motorbike died electrically a local AA chap turned up admitted he knew little of bike electrics & is not equipped with the means to transport it however he pushed it 3 miles to the dealer that's what I call above & beyond something about Sundays is bad for our fleet.

My partners daughter broke down 40 miles from home and her very basic Start rescue policy arranged in less than an hour for recovery back home and seeing they had an elderly relative travelling with them arranged a separate taxi to save her travelling in the recovery truck.

Also after my experience with trying to arrange recovery when travelling with a dog, and being left stranded at East Midlands airport I was pleased to hear Starts sympathetic and supportive response on this subject .

Looks like I will be returning to the AA under my Nationwide Flexplus cover but the AA trust pilot reviews are atrocious. Mostly long delays in turning up .

Are they really that bad ?

Watching with interest - I'm still have Flexplus as it covers me for European travel as standard and I have joint account so the payment covers two cars and both of us in other cars. However I've been eyeing up Start Rescue as recommended by many on this forum.

I can't comment on the service as fingers crossed I've not required help.

Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - _

Still with Start Rescue, real people whose language skills are excellent, they do a discount for NHS via the blue light card, both cars covered, both drivers plus the EU addon, which was a discounted extra policy..

Stll lovely people to deal with.

Only ever used once,the Venga in 2018 and very prompt, even coming into the hospital carpark..

I've just renewed my Start Rescue, up on last year but still good value.

Check that accident recovery is included in any policy since many assume it is but often it's not.

Like Big John, I’ve swapped my Start membership for Nationwide Flex plus in order to qualify for their Travel insurance.

But along with the travel insurance comes with breakdown cover from the AA .

Hearing yesterday of a friend in his eighties left stranded on the roundabout at junction 15 for three hours makes me wonder what response i will have. Once the motorway police saw the situation they arranged to pull the car to safety from one of the busiest motorway junctions.

And understanding the relay system that AA work to brings some concern. Friends had a steering power steering motor fail at the ferry terminal and AA agreed to receiver them to their home in Northamptonshire.

It is then you realise that the journey is limited to three hour slots. Maybe because this is the limit that non HGV drivers can travel ?

So first stop Dartford depot and a wait of two hours. Similar stop at Toddington and then Northampton .
All in all the journey took from 7 in the morning to 8 in the evening.

Is this just an isolated case or do the AA operate a two tier service , one for actual customers and another for those gaining entitlement through third parties such as car warranty companies.

Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - RT
And understanding the relay system that AA work to brings some concern. Friends had a steering power steering motor fail at the ferry terminal and AA agreed to receiver them to their home in Northamptonshire.

It is then you realise that the journey is limited to three hour slots. Maybe because this is the limit that non HGV drivers can travel ?

So first stop Dartford depot and a wait of two hours. Similar stop at Toddington and then Northampton .
All in all the journey took from 7 in the morning to 8 in the evening.

Is this just an isolated case or do the AA operate a two tier service , one for actual customers and another for those gaining entitlement through third parties such as car warranty companies.

There no legislative need for a relay system - I've been recovered 3 times by Green Flag who used a contractor to put the car on a flatbed, towed the caravan behind and took me all the way home - in one case over 400 miles from Stirling to the Midlands.

Several of my new cars have had AA/RAC cover as part of their warranty - the service was definitely inferior but I don't know if anyone got proper service.

Brittania to AA - Nationwide Flexplus recovery - gordonbennet

This relay system might have something to do with drivers hours of work.

HGV recovery drivers when operating within a certain radius don't have to adhere to HGV drivers hours so i'm told, beyond that radius they do, sensible really when the full outfit when towing can be 100ft long and weighing 60+ tons all in.

I don't know if car recovery vehicles are subject to similar restrictions.

I've renewed with Autoaid, they've now put a £25 excess on older cars payable at the time of breakdown, but unless one is very unlucky its still cheaper than most alternatives...what the service will be like in the event of a breakdown i hope never to discover.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/04/2023 at 12:19