What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Clocking - one in eleven - Trilogy.

Clocking is rife. www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/sorry-wrong-nu...g

Clocking - one in eleven - SLO76
Yup, I’m regularly seeing it when looking for cars both for myself and others. It’s very common to find 3/4yr old cars with zero service history and an obvious mileage discrepancy or car with history and a mysteriously low mileage covered in the final year according to the Mot or service history. There are loads of companies advertising “mileage correction” services yet there should be a tiny legal market for such services.
Clocking - one in eleven - Xileno

Any trade tips on how to avoid it? From the end of year three it's easy to check the MOT website but there seems no easy way to check what has happened in the vehicle's first three years.

Any trade tips on how to avoid it? From the end of year three it's easy to check the MOT website but there seems no easy way to check what has happened in the vehicle's first three years.

You’ll normally see it in year 3 or 4, a mysteriously low mileage covered since the last service or Mot. I’ve lost count of the number of cars I’ve looked at that've averaged 12/15k p/a then done only a few hundred miles in their last year. You need to scrutinise the service history and use it to corroborate Mot history data. If there’s no service history walk away, the car has either been neglected or clocked in 99% of cases. HPI might flag up a discrepancy but usually they won’t on a newer car. Watch also for faked service histories, with smaller dealers check other cars for the same stamp, many stamp up books with a made up garage name and many private owners just write in fake service details. If you’ve any doubts, Google the garage name to see if it even exists then call the number you’ve looked up to ask if they’ve ever seen the car. I’ve done this with numerous cars over the years and found a fair number that've stamped up books but the garage has never worked on the car. People take cars on PCP’s or contract lease, they set the mileage allowance low then they clock it before handing it back to avoid hundreds if not thousands in fees. They neglect the cars as they’ll never own it.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/01/2022 at 22:05

Clocking - one in eleven - privateinvestor

If a car has a cam belt change will confirm 60/80K mileage so another point to look for.

Clocking - one in eleven - galileo

If a car has a cam belt change will confirm 60/80K mileage so another point to look for.

The type of owner who will clock a car won't go to the expense of a cambelt change before they offload it , will they?

Clocking - one in eleven - Engineer Andy
Yup, I’m regularly seeing it when looking for cars both for myself and others. It’s very common to find 3/4yr old cars with zero service history and an obvious mileage discrepancy or car with history and a mysteriously low mileage covered in the final year according to the Mot or service history. There are loads of companies advertising “mileage correction” services yet there should be a tiny legal market for such services.

Indeed - I once noted a local car that was parking illegalling on my housing development had been 'MOTed' but where the mileages did not match up, including a period when it went from miles to km and back again, apparently reducing the distance covered (accounting for the conversion). It had eventually covered 5,000 less miles after another 3 years than before.

How the authorities don't automatically do something, given this data is all on the /gov website for all to see, I don't know.

Clocking - one in eleven - Andrew-T

<< How the authorities don't automatically do something, given this data is all on the /gov website for all to see, I don't know. >>

What authorities do you have in mind, and how much would you be willing for them to spend ? And don't forget the occurrences of mis-keying at the test stations.

<< How the authorities don't automatically do something, given this data is all on the /gov website for all to see, I don't know. >>

What authorities do you have in mind, and how much would you be willing for them to spend ? And don't forget the occurrences of mis-keying at the test stations.

Not three years in a row! :-) And it wasn't even a DeLorean...

I'm sure though some automated system could flag up the 'errors' and make sure they are 'corrected', using those com-put-er thingys the DVL-whatsaname people have.

After all, if not, what's the point of having an MOT if no-one enforces them?

Clocking - one in eleven - alan1302

Not three years in a row! :-) And it wasn't even a DeLorean...

I'm sure though some automated system could flag up the 'errors' and make sure they are 'corrected', using those com-put-er thingys the DVL-whatsaname people have.

After all, if not, what's the point of having an MOT if no-one enforces them?

They would need to come and take a look at your car...that would cost...would you be happy to pay for it?

Clocking - one in eleven - Big John

Scary problem.

When I helped my son buy a 3 year old Octavia a couple of years ago we went to a lot of effort to try and verify mileage and condition. It was difficult to use previous MOT figures as it had just passed it's first MOT a couple of months before. Fortunately there were a few receipts for servicing etc showing mileage. Interior etc looked like new and my local independent garage said the mechanical condition matched what they would expect to see. It's proved to be a great car but you never truly know.

With my own car I knew it had been in the dealer network from 6 months old and it had done 14k miles so actually quite high. It had not even had it's first service as it was still set to variable - although the due date / mileage on the service display looked about right (although I asked for a service and had it changed to fixed intervals). Tyre wear and dates looked right except for one which was newer with less wear - I could only presume a puncture.

I suspect you have to have the investigative ability of Sherlock Holmes to buy a used car - and a phd in car mechanics.

Or buy new - is that safe? - I've heard of damage before delivery!

Edited by Big John on 23/01/2022 at 22:15

Clocking - one in eleven - elekie&a/c doctor

In most cases ,clocking cars is easier than it was 30 years ago. With digital speedos there are no physical numbers to manipulate on the odometer. Biggest trend at the moment are mileage blockers , so the odometer reads only half the mileage driven .

Clocking - one in eleven - craig-pd130

In most cases ,clocking cars is easier than it was 30 years ago. With digital speedos there are no physical numbers to manipulate on the odometer. Biggest trend at the moment are mileage blockers , so the odometer reads only half the mileage driven .

That's progress. It does mean you're less likely to open up a speedometer casing only to find a little slip of paper that reads "Oh no, not again ..." ;-)

“ Or buy new - is that safe? - I've heard of damage before delivery!”

A number of years back I went to view an ex demonstrator Renault Megane Coupe 1.6 which was on sale as an approved used car at our local Renault main dealer. On approaching the car I could see the overspray and the huge panel gaps and a quick look under the bonnet revealed the car had been involved in a hefty front end smash and then poorly repaired using a non-insurance approved body shop and aftermarket parts. It was a mess and would rapidly deteriorate with whoever bought it. She was wise enough to walk away from this one, though the new Fiat Grand Punto Evo she overpaid for at the nearby Fiat dealer wasn’t one I approved of either. It turned out to be reliable enough until it started falling apart at 5yrs and promptly offloaded.
Clocking - one in eleven - sammy1

often the tyres can give a clue on a newish car check the treads and the dates on the tyre wall. Overall condition and drivers seat in particular. Dealerships perhaps safer than supermarkets.

Clocking - one in eleven - RT

I suspect you have to have the investigative ability of Sherlock Holmes to buy a used car - and a phd in car mechanics.

As well as damage before delivery, some cars cover long distances before the selling dealer zeroises the odometer - my VW Touareg covered some 800 miles from factory to the shipping port for some reason as they normally go by train.

Clocking - one in eleven - Xileno

All useful pointers - thanks. I will keep it in mind.

As well as damage before delivery, some cars cover long distances before the selling dealer zeroises the odometer - my VW Touareg covered some 800 miles from factory to the shipping port for some reason as they normally go by train.

Is that not illegal? Very dodgy.

Clocking - one in eleven - brum

Iong distances before the selling dealer zeroises the odometer - my VW Touareg covered some 800 miles from factory to the shipping port for some reason as they normally go by train.

I believe with VAG cars, a dealer can, using official factory diagnostics connected online to the factory, reset the odometer a maximum of 2 times before vehicle registration takes place within a maximum mileage limit, not sure how much but remember it was a low number, maybe 200 miles max in total. This will be recorded in the factory records, but don't know if joe public can ask to access that information or whether there is an obligation to declare it

I read that the ECU has an immutable copy of true mileage that dealers can access. Of course most dealers would not bother to check, it takes time and money and what would they gain, a monetary loss when they find they've been had?

according to a major vehicle information company, one in 11 used cars has been clocked – a 45% increase on five years ago.

That is only those examples that have publically accessible records that don't add up, i.e. mainly MOT and maybe service records. Someone savvy would perform clocking at points and values that don't raise red flags, ie not showing implausible backward mileage jumps and being believable. So the numbers will be likely much higher

I see a massive number of high end cars being driven by yoof, and parked in poor neighborhoods in a northern town where wages are low. Many in areas of low end rental HMO areas with maybe company cars, maybe PCP/lease. But I suspect the PCP/lease brigade running Tesla/Range Rover/BMW/MB/Audi are running on minimum payment 5000 mile contracts with minimum mileage declared on insurance too, probably with other creative lies. Of course, negates the need for expensive servicing. 5000 miles pa is nothing and easily exceeded with commuting and daily running around

The Canbus blocker method is news to me, and shows how creative criminals can be, I am surprised that car manufacturers haven't got security up to scratch.

Clocking - one in eleven - Will deBeast

The dealer showed me how to do it on my new citroen relay van.

Clocking - one in eleven - RT

No - most cars have a one-time facility to allow the dealer selling from new to zeroise the odometer to eliminate "delivery" miles.