What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ALL - Another use for your left hand - sammy1

So the authors of the new Highway Code are telling drivers to use their Left hand to open your car door. They believe that this will make drivers twist so that they look over their right shoulder and hopefully see an approaching cyclist! Failure to do this can result in a £1000 fine.

Who on Earth thinks these things up and what makes them think that the majority of drivers will do this. Even if you do it is no guarantee that it will work. What is wrong with looking in your MIRRORS before exiting the car

Contrary to this cyclists are now encouraged to cycle not near the kerb but in the middle of a lane so they will be further out of site of your mirrors.

Can you just imagine the chaos of selfish cyclists riding at 10-15mph down the centre of the road and with the new rules on passing at 1.5 metres cars will be on the opposite carriageway to complete a safe overtake.

Riding a bike in the centre of a lane leaves scope for the not so bright cyclist to ride down a dual carriage way like this if the law states they can.

How about some rules to safeguard the motorist like compelling cyclists to use the cycle lane where provided

I hope pedestrians do not take the new rule that cars should give way to them when crossing the road at junctions as a I fear quite a few will need the local casualty

ALL - Another use for your left hand - badbusdriver

Who says you will get a £1000 fine?.

Regarding the actual opening of the drivers door using (in this country) your left hand (right for other EU countries) this is not a new idea. In cycling friendly countries like Denmark and Netherlands it is taught to new drivers as a matter of course. AFAIK it has reduced the amount of cyclists being injured due to car drivers not checking properly before opening their door. Mirrors don't allow you to see everything going on behind you, there are blind spots.

Cyclists are encouraged (this also is not a new thing) to ride away from the kerb to deter impatient drivers from attempting to pass when there really isn't room to do so.

For as long as I have been driving, the Highway Code has told drivers that when passing a cyclist, biker, or horse rider, they should give as much spaces they would for passing a car. Which means if you are driving as you should, it will make no difference whether the cyclist is in the middle of the lane or closer to the kerb.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - bathtub tom

I presume sammy1 isn't a cyclist?

I wonder how they do up their seatbelt, reaching across with their left hand for it and putting it in the holder? Much the same as the HC's suggesting for opening the door?

ALL - Another use for your left hand - Bolt

I wonder how they do up their seatbelt, reaching across with their left hand for it and putting it in the holder? Much the same as the HC's suggesting for opening the door?

Doesn`t matter if your a cyclist or not or how you do your belt up as long as you concentrate on the road so you see any pedestrians or cyclists, it isn`t rocket science, drivers have to be more alert than other road users as they do tend to do things you do not expect so have to allow for it.

I try not to drive close to the kerb line due to the amount of rubbish and sheer potholes around them without dips for the manhole covers in the kerb so can imagine how a cyclist would feel riding through that lot

Sammy1 used to be a cyclist and it is a great activity and hobby. It has become a more dangerous activity as the years go on and coincidently there is a current thread of how dangerous the roads have become. Cyclists should be more aware themselves instead of head down and blindly carrying on as some do.

The Highway code advises the driver to be more aware but this is only common sense. As regards the door opening a cyclists can see themselves when a car door may open and should make due allowance that a driver may be negligent. Cyclists as road users have the same responsibility as drivers but you see and increasing number disregarding the rules of the road and pavements.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - Bromptonaut

As regards the door opening a cyclists can see themselves when a car door may open and should make due allowance that a driver may be negligent. Cyclists as road users have the same responsibility as drivers but you see and increasing number disregarding the rules of the road and pavements.

The bolded bit is nonsense on stilts.

Head restraints dark rear windows and light/weather conditions all mean you've no way of telling if a driver (or passenger, possibly a child) is about to hurl a door open.

My OH was doored 30+ years ago on Whippendell Road in Watford. Dark and wet. She went backwards and the door edge slashed her scalp.

And before anyone suggests helmets they were not really a thing in 1987.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - De Sisti

[quote]

[/quote]

Sammy1

[quote]

used to be a cyclist and it is a great activity and hobby. It has become a more dangerous activity as the years go on and coincidently there is a current thread of how dangerous the roads have become.

[/quote]

I wonder if Sammy1 gave up cycling because he thought traffic levels were too dangerous for cyclists. If so, I would assume he'd have more sympathy for what they had to put up with on the roads?

Secondly, if he doesn't like cyclists riding in the "primary position", what position did he occupy when he rode his bike on the road?

""

I wonder if Sammy1 gave up cycling because he thought traffic levels were too dangerous for cyclists. If so, I would assume he'd have more sympathy for what they had to put up with on the roads?

Secondly, if he doesn't like cyclists riding in the "primary position", what position did he occupy when he rode his bike on the road? """

I gave up cycling mainly because of age but if I had young children I would not allow them to ride on todays main roads as they are too crowded and dangerous. I have little sympathy for the cyclists that ride recklessly and do not obey their part of the Highway code.

I am alive today having ridden thousands of miles on a bike and do not mind where cyclists position themselves as long as they are considerate to others. I always keep to the left but not in the gutters and drains.

[quote] I gave up cycling mainly because of age....[/quote]

How old are you Sammy1?

You may not have noticed, but there are a lot of old(er) cyclists out there.

[Quote] on... today's main roads as they are too crowded and dangerous. [Quote]

You don't always have to cycle on main roads. It is possible to use quiet lanes and less busy roads. Surely if you've ridden thousands of miles on a bike you would have come across them? If not, you definitely limited your enjoyment of riding.

[quote]I have little sympathy for the cyclists that ride recklessly and do not obey their part of the Highway code.[/quote]

In your own words, define "riding recklessly".

[quote]I am alive today having ridden thousands of miles on a bike and do not mind where cyclists position themselves as long as they are considerate to others. I always keep to the left but not in the gutters and drains.[/quote]

Cyclists tend to do this too.

Lots of people are alive today who may, or may not have ridden thousands of miles on a bike!

ALL - Another use for your left hand - Andrew-T

What is wrong with looking in your MIRRORS before exiting the car.

Mirrors are well-known to have blind spots - have you not heard of that ? Anyway the suggestion is said to come from Holland, which is also well-known to be full of cyclists. It may look like a silly habit, but it may also be one that works.

What is wrong with looking in your MIRRORS before exiting the car.

Mirrors are well-known to have blind spots - have you not heard of that ? Anyway the suggestion is said to come from Holland, which is also well-known to be full of cyclists. It may look like a silly habit, but it may also be one that works.

If you cannot see a cyclist in your door mirrors they are poorly adjusted. You have a far greater chance of seeing a cyclist in your mirror than a glance over the shoulder. You have a B and C pillar obstructing your view.

If you cannot see a cyclist in your door mirrors they are poorly adjusted. You have a far greater chance of seeing a cyclist in your mirror than a glance over the shoulder. You have a B and C pillar obstructing your view.

The Dutch Reach implies more than a glance - you should turn in your seat and look properly. Mirror too if it helps - needn't be door OR mirror.

So the authors of the new Highway Code are telling drivers to use their Left hand to open your car door. They believe that this will make drivers twist so that they look over their right shoulder and hopefully see an approaching cyclist! Failure to do this can result in a £1000 fine.

Where in law is there provision for a £1k fine for not following the 'Dutch Reach' advice?

I'll save you looking and report, contrary to some media articles, there is no such law. The mahoosive clue is the new Highway Code phrases this as should. The £1k fine is what you might cop if you open a door and injure a cyclist. The 'Dutch Reach' forces you to look behind'.

Cycling near the kerb has long been regarded as dangerous. The edge of the carriageway can be uneven and debris ridden, thermoplastic paint is lethally slippery when damp, storm drains can swallow a wheel, you're more likely to be left hooked by turning vehicles or not seen by those entering the carriageway. And you'll be close/fast passed too.

Adopting a position out from the kerb has been official advice (see the HMSO publication Cyclecraft) for donkey's years.

Even if they were fit for purpose mandating the use of cycle lanes, often mixed use with pedestrians, is fraught with difficulty. There's one between here and the next village towards Northampton. The surface might once have been tarmac but is now loose, badly degraded and top dressed with broken glass and dog poo.

It's OK on a mountain bike and passable with care on a Brompton folder. On my eighties tourer or a skinny wheeled road bike it's lethally unuseable.

"""Where in law is there provision for a £1k fine for not following the 'Dutch Reach' advice""

No there isn't one. The fine might come if you are reckless enough to open you door into a cyclist. It would not matter what hand you used to open the door and common sense says this would not be the reason to prosecute.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - FP

For some reason the image of Victor Meldrew seems to haunt these forums.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - Xileno

When I was learning to ride my motorbike, my instructor would get quite cross if he felt I was too close to the curb, for all the reasons Bromptonaut mentions plus the fact if you face a sudden incident ahead in your lane, your only escape path is to the right. More in the middle of the lane you've got more options.

For some reason the image of Victor Meldrew seems to haunt these forums.

Yes, Victor would say these new Highway code rules were made by the same people that made the Smart Motorways.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - nellyjak

Can you just imagine the chaos of selfish cyclists riding at 10-15mph down the centre of the road and with the new rules on passing at 1.5 metres cars will be on the opposite carriageway to complete a safe overtake.

That's precisely what you are supposed to do..and has been the case for years.

If you are not giving cyclists that degree of space when overtaking them, then you are simply wrong.

If you are not giving cyclists that degree of space when overtaking them, then you are simply wrong.

The new rule Advises Cyclist"" to ride in the middle of the lane in certain circumstances to make them selves more visible"""

It does not specify which circumstances which is ambiguous therefore my reference to the ""selfish""

The new rule Advises Cyclist"" to ride in the middle of the lane in certain circumstances to make them selves more visible"""

It does not specify which circumstances which is ambiguous therefore my reference to the ""selfish""

Irrelevant...No matter where the cyclist might be positioned in the lane...you should be overtaking as if you are overtaking another vehicle.

Don't see how you can class it as selfish.?

So you feel cyclists making themselves more visible is being selfish?, hmm.

Not that it changes the fact that for many years now the Highway Code has advised drivers to give as much space passing a cyclist as they would a car.

Maybe you should familiarise yourself as to what you, as a driver, should already be doing rather than complaining about what cyclists are being advised to do.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - focussed

"rather than complaining about what cyclists are being advised to do"

Perish the thought that cyclists should be advised to ride defensively when passing parked cars as in:-

"when passing parked cars keep one door's width and a half clear of the side of the car in case a car driver doesn't see you and opens their door"

As motorcyclists are advised to do.

But that would negate the message that they now have victim status.

<< That's precisely what you are supposed to do..and has been the case for years. If you are not giving cyclists that degree of space when overtaking them, then you are simply wrong. >>

I have no objection to a cyclist avoiding the rough outer edge of a road, but I think advising them to hug the centre line is going too far. It would almost be as easy for cars to undertake as overtake. I used to be a cyclist in my youth so I don't wish to deny riders road space - within reason.

There's a stretch of the A56 near here which has marked-off cycle lanes on both sides where it passes a grammar school. All fine and dandy, except that at going-home time those lanes are parked solid by you know who. Just now there is a temporary one-way system (until April allegedly) for a new version of cycle lane to be added. I hope it isn't actually parking for we-know who ?

I have no objection to a cyclist avoiding the rough outer edge of a road, but I think advising them to hug the centre line is going too far.

Nobody Is saying they should hug the centre line, what they are being advised to do is cycle in the centre of the lane.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - bathtub tom

Let me recite a tale:

An ex-colleague of mine was cycling into town, with his wife cycling behind him. A parked car opened their driver's door into him, sending him careering across the road into the path of a lorry. The last sound his wife heard from him was an animal like scream as the lorry passed over his body. He wasn't killed, but a brain dead cabbage. She cared for him at home after he was released from hospital for a couple of years. We used to visit, but it seemed not to recognise anyone. One day his wife was doing some work in the garden and when she came in, found him dead. He had somehow managed to take an overdose of the drugs prescribed to him. No-one knows how he reached the drugs, he appeared to be totally paralysed, but somehow he must have been hiding a 'squirrel store' for just such a day. No blame was ever attached to his wife.

Don't tell me you can't be bothered to take a little effort to ensure you're not endangering a cyclist!

"""

Don't tell me you can't be bothered to take a little effort to ensure you're not endangering a cyclist! """

If this is directed at the OP nowhere in the thread have I indicated that I do NOT take adequate care when passing cyclists. Indeed I made it quite clear that I was a cyclist and there is no need for your sob story and indeed referring to your ex-colleague as a ""brain dead c------

This tread regarding the new Highway code rules is on much larger media than this and the overwhelming verdict seems to be that it is unpopular and in some respects unsafe to some road users and pedestrians. Some have described it as a recipe for road rage.

I would not be surprised to see a re-write in the near future to include E Scooters which would fit nicely with this nonsense when they are legalised.?.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - daveyjp

Do rear seat passengers have the benefit of mirrors?

[quote] I gave up cycling mainly because of age....[/quote]

How old are you Sammy1?

You may not have noticed, but there are a lot of old(er) cyclists out there.

[Quote] on... today's main roads as they are too crowded and dangerous. [Quote]

You don't always have to cycle on main roads. It is possible to use quiet lanes and less busy roads. Surely if you've ridden thousands of miles on a bike you would have come across them? If not, you definitely limited your enjoyment of riding.

[quote]I have little sympathy for the cyclists that ride recklessly and do not obey their part of the Highway code.[/quote]

In your own words, define "riding recklessly".

[quote]I am alive today having ridden thousands of miles on a bike and do not mind where cyclists position themselves as long as they are considerate to others. I always keep to the left but not in the gutters and drains.[/quote]

Cyclists tend to do this too.

Lots of people are alive today who may, or may not have ridden thousands of miles on a bike!

<< You don't always have to cycle on main roads. It is possible to use quiet lanes and less busy roads. >>

It is probably 50 years since I cycled anywhere for pleasure, and I can assure you that 'quiet lanes and less busy roads' are less quiet and a lot busier than they were. I now drive on such lanes and roads, and some of them are narrow with blind bends. I'm not surprised that few cyclists frequent them compared to the 'old days'.

One irritation for me is cyclists who choose to cycle abreast when there is traffic about. Clearly it wouldn't matter if they travelled faster, but if any car occupied a road at their speed there would be a lot of annoyance.

<< You don't always have to cycle on main roads. It is possible to use quiet lanes and less busy roads. >>

It is probably 50 years since I cycled anywhere for pleasure, and I can assure you that 'quiet lanes and less busy roads' are less quiet and a lot busier than they were. I now drive on such lanes and roads, and some of them are narrow with blind bends. I'm not surprised that few cyclists frequent them compared to the 'old days'.

One irritation for me is cyclists who choose to cycle abreast when there is traffic about. Clearly it wouldn't matter if they travelled faster, but if any car occupied a road at their speed there would be a lot of annoyance.

You said you gave up cycling due to age. One wonders how old you are.

Didn't your thousands of miles of cycling keep you in good health? (genuine question, since you have now given up the activity).

You say that roads are busier than they were. Surely your irritation should be with the drivers of the extra motorised traffic?

Your cycle experience is obviously different from mine. I can assure you that there are quiet roads and lanes to cycle on (and I've been cycling for decades).

Cycling two abreast is allowed and is safer for cyclists. Overtaking motorists will be able to overtake cyclist riding two abreast much quicker than a large group in single file.

You said you gave up cycling due to age. One wonders how old you are.

Didn't your thousands of miles of cycling keep you in good health? (genuine question, since you have now given up the activity).

You say that roads are busier than they were. Surely your irritation should be with the drivers of the extra motorised traffic?

Your cycle experience is obviously different from mine. I can assure you that there are quiet roads and lanes to cycle on (and I've been cycling for decades).

Cycling two abreast is allowed and is safer for cyclists. Overtaking motorists will be able to overtake cyclist riding two abreast much quicker than a large group in single file.

Agree,,,,I'm 75 and still cycling..though I confess I do have electrical assistance these days...lol

<< You said you gave up cycling due to age. One wonders how old you are.>>

I never said that at all, nor even implied it. I rode as a student and later for some years on Canada, where it could become impossible in winter. After returning to UK I stopped because I could walk to work, and every road home was uphill :-)

<< Didn't your cycling keep you in good health? >>

Perhaps, but I relied on other exercise for that. I have to admit I never cycled for exercise, only for transportation.

<< You say that roads are busier than they were. >>

Compared with my cycling days that is indisputable fact.

<< Your cycle experience is obviously different from mine. I can assure you that there are quiet roads and lanes to cycle on. >>

That may depend on what part of the country you inhabit and ride in. On some of the quiet lanes I drive on it can be hard to pass a bike, never mind a car. Another reason not to cycle perhaps ?

<< Cycling two abreast is allowed and is safer for cyclists. Overtaking motorists will be able to overtake cyclists two abreast much quicker than a large group in single file.>>

Cycling two (or three?) abreast is certainly not prohibited, and I am not suggesting that it should be - just done considerately. And as cars are expected to allow plenty of room for a cyclist to wobble, riding abreast doubles that requirement.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - Metropolis.
Another policy made by those that dont drive, for those that do drive.

""""You said you gave up cycling due to age. One wonders how old you are. """

I gave up because I was having trouble mounting my Penny f***hing. I am now reduced to my old HOBBY HORSE and Boneshaker but finding the cobbles increasingly hard to negotiate

ALL - Another use for your left hand - Sofa Spud

I've often used my left hand to open the car door, long before I knew it was a thing. Particularly where there's a risk of opening the door onto a passing cyclist. I can't say I always do this though. I think I picked up the habit when driving the old-type Ford Transits in the 1970s.

As a cyclist it's always best to leave a little space to the left, not least because the edge of the road is often in poor condition.

When A-roads are upgraded or new sections built, they include a margin to the left of the edge-marking line which is ideal for cyclists to use while keeping out of the way of motor traffic. You just need to watch for the drain covers but they're easy to avoid. But these days the council lets roadside vegetation overhang these margins, so cyclists are forced to use the main carriageway.

As for the 'new' rule that vehicles should give way to pedestrians at junctions, it's just turning previous Highway Code advice into a rule. I think the main danger is that a lot of drivers won't know the new rule, or they think it doesn't really apply. I think the main implication is that if a driver collides with a pedestrian while they are turning into a side road, then the driver will definitely be at fault.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 24/01/2022 at 13:17

ALL - Another use for your left hand - alan1302
Another policy made by those that dont drive, for those that do drive.

What is it that irritates you so much about it?

ALL - Another use for your left hand - alan1302

An interesting article about the changes:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/24/common-my...n

""""In your own words, define "riding recklessly"""

How about riding on the pavement. Pulling wheelies down the centre of the road. Belting through pedestrian precincts. Riding without lights and in dark clothing on these dark winter nights. No bells. Ignoring red lights and other rules in the HC

De Sisti Are you sure your not that Jeremy V character off the TV? This is a Motoring Forum!

""""In your own words, define "riding recklessly"""

How about riding on the pavement. Pulling wheelies down the centre of the road. Belting through pedestrian precincts. Riding without lights and in dark clothing on these dark winter nights. No bells. Ignoring red lights and other rules in the HC

De Sisti Are you sure your not that Jeremy V character off the TV? This is a Motoring Forum!

Maybe I am. I'm sure you mentioned you gave up cycling due to age.

Yes I know this is a motoring forum, but you did mentioned cycling before I did, so define driving recklessly ("in your words").

<< Maybe I am. I'm sure you mentioned you gave up cycling due to age. Yes I know this is a motoring forum, but you did mention cycling before I did, so define driving recklessly ("in your words"). >>

@DeSisti (perhaps we should ? ) - I think you are getting your replies crossed. Sammy and I are both putting our oars in here.

ALL - Another use for your left hand - Xileno

This is predominantly a motoring forum but the issue of cyclists is relevant and interesting given the recent Highway Code publicity. The interaction of both groups will generally be contentious given the sharing of each other's space and there will be strong views on both sides.

However I think we've extracted all the value from this thread so time to put it to bed. The link that Alan1302 posted gives a balanced view, it certainly contains information I didn't know.