What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - KJP 123

Puncture to front tyre. Car has only done 6,000 miles, Michelin Primacy tyres, 16” wheels.

At this mileage is it necessary to change both front tyres?

Also posted in Technical.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - craig-pd130

You might be able to get the puncture repaired with a proper vulcanised plug. Have done that a couple of times then done 10,000+ miles on the repaired tyre with no issues (even on a runflat tyre).

If the tyre is beyond salvaging, I'd say you probably would not need to replace both.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Rerepo

If the hole is less than 3mm and away from the sidewall of the tyre then it may be repairable. If not, then you only need to replace the one tyre.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - badbusdriver

Not sure about the legal side of it, but unless there was minimal wear on the front tyres (unlikely after 6k miles, especially on the front of a front wheel drive car), I'd be replacing both (assuming puncture can't be repaired).

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - miroku1949

Why not just replace one tyre if you have too? Then switch the tyres round, front to back.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - brum

To answer the OPs question....No, ask a tyre to repair the puncture, usually £10 to £20 max if they say its not possible then fit another tyre, preferably of the same model, or failing that, similar style. (Standard/directional/asymmetric, load/speed rating, EU ratings)

Swapping front to back is something I would do. Putting the repaired tyre on the back where it has an easier life.

Edited by brum on 20/01/2022 at 22:47

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Cris_on_the_gas

Why not just replace one tyre if you have too? Then switch the tyres round, front to back.

Switching tyres front to back might mean you have to reset the TPMS.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Andrew-T

Simple - if the puncture is in the tread (running surface) get it repaired. If it's not, replace the tyre with an identical one. No need to replace both.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - John F

A sturdy puncture repair patch facing inwards on a tyre holding pressure up to 40psi is far less likely to fail than a thin bicycle puncture repair patch facing outwards on an inner tube holding pressure more than double 40psi. I have always gone to a back street used tyre outfit on the rare occasion I have had a puncture as they are far less likely to try to convince you that a new tyre is needed.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Xileno

I don't think I've got much to add beyond the good advice already given. I had a Renault Megane diesel that used to eat front tyres, about 8000 miles was the best although I switched to Kumhos that lasted better. So if 6000 miles is getting close to your usual change point I might consider changing both tyres if the punctured one can't be repaired but only because it would save me the hassle of getting the good tyre changed in only another 2000 miles. A convenience factor rather than technically necessary. The tyres on your C4 might last a lot longer and 6000 miles may be only a third of its wear.

At some point in the next day I will merge this and the other thread in Technical so in future if anyone is doing a forum search they will have all the replies in one thread.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Andrew-T

I had a Renault Megane diesel that used to eat front tyres, about 8000 miles was the best although I switched to Kumhos that lasted better.

i have never failed to get 25K, usually more, from tyres over 50+ years of driving, and quite a few of my cars have been diesels (heavy front end). That may be an argument against buying cheap tyres - I usually buy mid-range.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Xileno

They wouldn't have been 'cheap' tyres, they were what it left the factory with. My memory is a bit hazy now, it was long ago (2004-07). It may have been a bit more than 8000 from a set but there was a lengthy thread on the Parkers forum (RIP) regarding the issue of Megane and Scenic MK2 models fitted with the 17 inch wheels which I had. Owners were complaining about excessive wear on the rear as well, odd with a FWD car. I can't remember the conclusion but most owners switched to Kumhos and got much better mileage.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - JonestHon

I had a Renault Megane diesel that used to eat front tyres, about 8000 miles was the best although I switched to Kumhos that lasted better.

i have never failed to get 25K, usually more, from tyres over 50+ years of driving, and quite a few of my cars have been diesels (heavy front end). That may be an argument against buying cheap tyres - I usually buy mid-range.

What brings many tyres to an early end is people letting the pressure drop and less than stellar air pressure checking frequency (for those without TPM).

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Brit_in_Germany

A bicycle inner tube is, however, being forced against the outer tyre, compressing the puncture repair against the inner tube.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - _

I'd pay dearly to see a bicycle inner tube repaired from the inside..

When I bought a demo a few years ago, I had a slow puncture that turned out to be a poor repair and the tyre could not be repaired so the dealer who was decent did pay for a new tyre.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - bathtub tom

I've no doubt some 'fit kwik' type places would encourage you to do so and it would enable them to flog off the un-punctured tyre to a used tyre type place (and possibly the punctured tyre after repair).

You may guess from my cynicism that I wouldn't bother with a new pair of tyres, however I would get a similar quality of repacement tyre (not a Chinese ditchfinder) or an identical one , if possible.

Edited by bathtub tom on 20/01/2022 at 22:41

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Engineer Andy

I'd base it on how worn the tyres are. I would say if the tyre that isn't punctured is 1mm worn or less (from whatever it's new tread depth should be for that model of tyre), then no.

2mm I'd say you're pushing it a bit - I'd probably change both, 3mm or more, absolutely change both.

You may also find that the rear tyres are better swapped to the fronts and the fronts (new) go on the rear, as a FWD car will benefit more from rear tyre stability gain from newer tyres when cornering in the wet.

I would check all the tyres for tread depth and uneven wear first before doing any of the above, just in case other changes need to be made - e.g. tracking/wheel alingment, etc. You might find one or more tyres has far more wear than others.

If you have Michelin Primacy tyres all around and they've been fine otherwise, then stay with a direct replacement. They are asymmetric tyres, I think, so don't mix and match asymmetric ones with directional tyres as the grip level will vary more than just by similar quality brands.

Edit: I forgot to ask - is the punctured tyre repairable with a plug, or is the damage severe enough - say to the sidewall, near the edge or a bad puncture generally so that it cannot be repaired? A plug repair would probably cost about £15.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 20/01/2022 at 19:11

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Manatee

They don't do plug repairs any more, there's a patch on the inside. Plugs are now deemed a temporary repair although I don't think they are actually illegal. A question of liability perhaps.

That said I have plugged tyres myself. The last one I did is still on my car and I have no concerns about it, if was a slow puncture, very small hole, middle of tread.

The one before that was on my wife's car. It was right on the corner where the tread joins the sidewall, and it was a nearly new Goodyear Efficient Grip. I booked a tyre change with a mobile fitter which meant waiting a few days. He changed the tyre, inspected my repair and told me it would have been fine!

I suppose the concern, or part of it, is that up to that point it hadn't been possible to inspect the inside.

On my MX-5, which has no spare, I carry tyre string as well as 2 different gloop options and a pump. I have no faith in gloop, I used two old Halfords cans on my wheelbarrow and it still went down! I'd consider buying a spare wheel but it won't even fit in the boot.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - brum

They don't do plug repairs any more, there's a patch on the inside. Plugs are now deemed a temporary repair although I don't think they are actually illegal. A question of liability perhaps.

They use a mushroom plug which is both a plug and a patch inserted from inside the tyre and vulcanised with the appropriate adhesive. They come in several sizes.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - John F

A DIY plug repair is worth a try if it's a small hole, e.g. nail or some such. I tried one some years ago on a tyre approaching the end of its life and it remained airtight for its last few thousand miles. But I did swap it from front to rear, as it's much easier to maintain control if you get a sudden flat tyre at the rear.

Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - Puncture Urgent - Engineer Andy

They use a mushroom plug which is both a plug and a patch inserted from inside the tyre and vulcanised with the appropriate adhesive. They come in several sizes.

Noted - I'm not sure what my old Micra had done in about 2004/5 if I recall (by a local indie tyre fitted) - he said it was a 'plug' - whether this was before the plug+ ones were used, I don't know. Lasted well and had no issues up to when I PXed it when I bought the Mazda3 in early 2006.