What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Looking for used car recommendations... - rjohns0991

Hello all

I currently drive a MK7 2.0 TDI Golf. I want to sell this and get something older/higher mileage to raise some cash and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm looking for something that fits the below criteria as best as possible but, there is wiggle room -

Cost up to £5k

Reliable

Reasonable running/maintenance costs

Comfortable on long trips (300+ miles)

Understated styling

C or D class

Not a complete "banger" but something I can run into the ground over the next several years

So far I've been looking at

VW - Golf, Passat

Audi - A4, A6

Volvo - S60, S80

Skoda - Superb, Octavia

Seat - Exeo

Any recommendations on the above based on my criteria or any different suggestions? Any advise gladly received.

TIA

Looking for used car recommendations... - sammy1

You do not say how old your golf is but it is a good all rounder and if you know the car and its history you would be better off sticking with it and raising some cash by a loan. Changing cars to go older can be a nightmare

Looking for used car recommendations... - thunderbird

You do not say what age your Golf is and what mileage it done. A Mk 7 Golf could date from 2013 and with high miles it would not be worth a lot more than your £5000 budget meaning you would bank no cash.

Alternatively it could be a far more recent car with low miles.

Whichever it is getting a car for £5000 which is

"Reliable

Reasonable running/maintenance costs"

is not necessarily that easy. It could turn out to be a money pit.

When most people swap cars it for a newer more reliable one not an older probably less reliable one.

You need to reconsider.

Thanks for the advice.

You're right, it could turn into a money pit. It could also not.

Cutting a very long story short - I paid £10k for my car in 2020. It had 48k on the clock and had just had a brand new timing kit installed. I bought it from a main dealer, with a full service history vs getting an older car with higher mileage. I did this for added "peace of mind" and "security" that nothing should go wrong for some time. Just yesterday I paid £1500 for repairs due to faulty timing and that doesn't include a strip and rebuild to check for internal damage.

I spent 20 weeks arguing with VW and the dealer that sold it to me over paying these costs given the cars history, got zero support and had to refer to the ombudsman. The reasons for originally buying newer car with lower mileage aren't really valid to me anymore.

Looking for used car recommendations... - John F

Cutting a very long story short - I paid £10k for my car in 2020. It had 48k on the clock and had just had a brand new timing kit installed.

Why on earth did a mere 7yr old Golf with such a tiny mileage need 'a brand new timing kit'?? Our Focus is over three times as old with three times the mileage and its timing kit, designed to last the life of the car, has easily done that, assuming usual scrappage age is around 16yrs. What happened to VW's reputation for durability? Perhaps the OP should include Ford in his list of possibles?

Edited by John F on 21/01/2022 at 08:59

Looking for used car recommendations... - Engineer Andy

Thanks for the advice.

You're right, it could turn into a money pit. It could also not.

Cutting a very long story short - I paid £10k for my car in 2020. It had 48k on the clock and had just had a brand new timing kit installed. I bought it from a main dealer, with a full service history vs getting an older car with higher mileage. I did this for added "peace of mind" and "security" that nothing should go wrong for some time. Just yesterday I paid £1500 for repairs due to faulty timing and that doesn't include a strip and rebuild to check for internal damage.

I spent 20 weeks arguing with VW and the dealer that sold it to me over paying these costs given the cars history, got zero support and had to refer to the ombudsman. The reasons for originally buying newer car with lower mileage aren't really valid to me anymore.

Have you heard back from the Ombudsman yet as regards a final decision on who will pay to repair the Golf? If not, don't jump in to making any (rash) decisions on what to do next until you've got a resolution to the Golf's issues, one way or the other.

As you say, any replacement may or may not be either just as bad or even worse, given you're thinking of getting an older car, as they are by definition more likely to need repairs just through usage / wear and tear. The problem is unless you can get someone who is a mechanic to look over possible replacments at a reasonable/no cost, you won't know until you've owned any new car for a while whether it too will be ok or not.

Often it is 'better the devil you know' than replacing.

Thanks for the advice.

The car is 2015. I just also replied to another user but I've basically just had to pay up £1500 in repairs for faulty timing despite having a timing kit with only 12k miles on it. I bought the car in 2020 for £10k instead of an older model for peace of mind. That's not really relevant now I know that there is no peace of mind and I'm quite happy to trade in for an older model.

Looking for used car recommendations... - SLO76

“ So far I've been looking at

VW - Golf, Passat

Audi - A4, A6

Volvo - S60, S80

Skoda - Superb, Octavia

Seat - Exeo”

None of which I’d look at below £5,000. You need to aim for simplicity in order to achieve reliability. Forget prestige brands or complex turbo Diesel engines. Look instead for simple petrol engined cars such as the following…

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - leave the unreliable 1.0 or power shift auto versions.

Mazda 3 1.6/2.0 petrol

Mazda 6 1.8/2.0 petrol

Honda Civic 1.4/1.8 petrol

Honda Accord 2.0 petrol

Toyota Auris 1.33/1.6 petrol

Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol

Looking for used car recommendations... - thunderbird

Why on earth did a mere 7yr old Golf with such a tiny mileage need 'a brand new timing kit'??

The car is a 2015 so in 2020 it was 5 years old. When we bought the Fabia I made enquires at VAG to find out what the timing belt interval was. The selling garage told me 3 years or 30,000 miles which I did not believe for one minute, the Focus was 10 years or 100,000 miles. This is a copy of the e-mail I received back

We recommend the cam belt is first checked at 60,000 miles, and every 20,000 miles thereafter. If there is no damage at these points the cambelt will not need changing. If the belt is not changed, regardless of condition, it must be replaced at 120,000 miles or when the vehicle is 5 years old, whichever comes first.

It was due by age on the OP's car so the selling garage did the work required at the vehicles age.

But its possible that the recent expense may have resulted from the work being badly done or being done with faulty parts but that was 12,000 miles ago. I would have expected poor workmanship would have shown up before then but to get anywhere with a claim the faulty parts would need inspection by an independent engineer. Has this been done?

Looking for used car recommendations... - John F

Why on earth did a mere 7yr old Golf with such a tiny mileage need 'a brand new timing kit'??

I made enquires at VAG to find out what the timing belt interval was. ....This is a copy of the e-mail I received back

We recommend the cam belt is first checked at 60,000 miles, and every 20,000 miles thereafter. If there is no damage at these points the cambelt will not need changing. If the belt is not changed, regardless of condition, it must be replaced at 120,000 miles or when the vehicle is 5 years old, whichever comes first.

Five years is a ridiculously short interval. I can think of no scientific reason for this. It's the same sharp practice advice as 'change the oil after 365 days whatever the mileage'. Modern aramid drive belts, especially those which do very little work, hardly deteriorate at all with use and age. Even old belts from the last century last well - the ancient fan/alternator belt in my TR7 still does its job after 42 years.

I very much doubt if the email came from VW's chief engineer, or indeed from anyone with anything above a level 3 NVQ qualification. This is yet another unfortunate story of a punter left thousands of pounds out of pocket because of unnecessary work carried out incompetently.

Looking for used car recommendations... - barney100

This looks like you won't bank much if you are spending 5k. Perhaps a punt at bangernomics is on here. Slo is the member to ask for how to spot a bargain.

Looking for used car recommendations... - badbusdriver

Interesting that despite the OP's experience of poor reliability and customer service with his Golf, four out of the five cars he is looking at are also VAG. So if bought as a 2.0TDI will all have variations of that same engine.