What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Trilogy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=imWFfpFXSWs&t=349s

This guy seems to think it doesn't matter these days. I've always thought lower to be better. What do others think?

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Dcoa93
It’s interesting to see things from a dealers perspective.

1 owner is not necessarily good if they have been a ‘bad’ owner.
I think a few owners on an older car, no issue.
If newest owner wants rid after a short period, that would concern me.
Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - RichT54

The more owners a car has had, the higher the probability that at least one of them has misused it.

Also, if a car has had a lot of owners in a relatively short period, they may have discovered it has a serious fault and got rid of it quickly.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Xileno

I can see the arguments on both sides but I think I would be suspicious if there were quite a lot of owners. It would certainly cause me to delve deeper.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - SLO76

A troublesome car tends to change ownership often while a good car will be kept longer. I aim for few long term owners.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Andrew-T

A troublesome car tends to change ownership often while a good car will be kept longer. I aim for few long term owners.

I'm wondering what 'troublesome' might cover - I would hope that one of the several owners might take the trouble to cure any serious problems. If a series of owners have moved it on every year or so, maybe there is an irritating problem which is costly to fix ?

I have owned my workhorse for 13 fault-free years, but as it has been 'written off' once I doubt many would buy it even so.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - sammy1

My observation is that some high performance cars tend to go through owners quickly as they probably get disillusioned with them

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Terry W

There is always a reason why someone wants to sell a car. Not all are bad - eg: circumstances (job, kids, commute etc), like up to date tech, keep up with the Joneses.

Other reasons have an increased probability of bringing bad news. Many owners, none of whom keep it more than a year, may mean potential trouble.

Buying s/h cars is always a risk. All you can do is minimise the risks - buy with service history, not too many previous owners, decent test drive, HPI check etc. A s/h car missing some of this may not cause problems - it just makes them more, likely.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - _

I solved that problem, by only buying brand new cars.

In my time in the "trade", saw too many cars that were quickly shipped out.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Andrew-T

Buying s/h cars is always a risk. All you can do is minimise the risks - buy with service history, not too many previous owners, decent test drive, HPI check etc. A s/h car missing some of this may not cause problems - it just makes them more, likely.

Why ? I agree on the theory, but I have never had a HPI check. With or without one, the car in question is the same car. I have always trusted my instincts, and only rarely bought on impulse. So far I have not bought any lemons, unless you include the 206 Garros whose seats became uncomfortable after about an hour's driving. I don't think I might have found out about that before buying.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - nellyjak

My observation is that some high performance cars tend to go through owners quickly as they probably get disillusioned with them

There is that...and also what I call fashion cars...e.g ragtops/convertibles often have quite a few owners as once the initial rush fades, the car is then let go.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - thunderbird

Back in about 1997 dad bought a 6 month old pre-reg Almera with under 10 miles on the clock. When he got the V5 he was the 4th registered keeper. The first was Nissan, the second was a garage near the factory and the 3rd the dealer he bought it from.

When he came to PX 6 years later when asked about the number of owners dad explained and the sales chappy was not in the least bit bothered, think his words were something like "as long as its not a Renault". The price offered was better than expected, the price it went on the forecourt at was stupid.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - craig-pd130

I wouldn't necessarily be put off by multiple previous owners IF there was a comprehensive service history, or loads of receipts for major service items etc. But paperwork does tend to get patchy / lost after a car has changed hands a few times.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Topdude

It always seems the holy grail of used cars is "one owner from new" but you could think of it another way.

One long term owner, initial enthusiasm wears off followed by years of just driving it while trying to spend as little as possible. Major issues put off as the car has little value to them.(Example - many cars are sold on when cam belt comes up for renewal)

Several owners, each one enthusiastic about their new car, maintenance done and minor issues sorted out. More likely to get major issues sorted as the car still has a value to them.

I certainly fall into the second category, always buy used, sort out all the niggles, squeeks, rattles. Do all maintenance due, keep it clean etc. After a few years buy another and repeat.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Terry W

Perhaps we tend to judge the motives of others by our own behaviours. Over the last few decades I have tended to buy up to one year old to get the benefit of a fairly full warranty and keep for many years. Looking back my reasons for sale were:

• Octavia - 10 years old, 140k, almost zero costs other than routine maintenance, and still on original brake discs, clutch, shocks, battery,
  • Mondeo - 7 years old, 150k. Air con compressor going, major service needed, new tyres needed, original battery, clutch, exhaust etc.
  • Vectra - 4 years old, 60k. Auto gearbox starting to misbehave.

What do these all have in common - I like cheap to run reliability, reasonable comfort and performance, don't abuse my cars, not too bothered about latest tech or status, and aim to get rid before costs start to ratchet up.

In the 21 years of ownership above, apart from servicing, tyres, the occasional brake disc or battery I have spent less than £500 on repairs - £25 pa, time off road less than 1 day pa, depreciation averaging ~£1200 pa.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - corax
Several owners, each one enthusiastic about their new car, maintenance done and minor issues sorted out. More likely to get major issues sorted as the car still has a value to them.

I certainly fall into the second category, always buy used, sort out all the niggles, squeeks, rattles. Do all maintenance due, keep it clean etc. After a few years buy another and repeat.

High performance cars can fall into this category. Bought by enthusiasts who like to get everything just so, but like to try something different after a couple of years.

The middle of the road prestige stuff is more of a minefield. They can be bought by dreamers who like the image but can't afford the running costs. Likely to have a few moody repairs that will only be spotted after buying.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - pd

An average of 2-3 years per ownership is the ideal mid-point. Probably slightly less for convertibles and the like because people tend to buy these as a toy then move on after one summer.

I'm not a big fan of one owner older cars. The people who keep a car a long time are not motivated to sell it because of fashion, boredom or need. They keep it up to the point they realise it has a fault not worth fixing or their garage tells them it needs £xx spent on it and decide to get out quick.

Does it matter how many owners a car has had? - Random

Beware of old lady owners! www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4HTLVpey9s