What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Reliability - Skoda or Kia - Mango67

Hi all

I am about to invest in a new estate car and I've narrowed it down to

Skoda Fabia Estate automatic or Kia Ceed estate automatic . Have researched both

engines but I can't decide on what manufacturer I can trust to give me

Problem free future .

Which one should I go for for best drive and reliability?

I'd really appreciate you helping me to decide.

Thank you

Tracey

Edited by Mango67 on 17/01/2022 at 13:53

Reliability - Skoda or Kia - movilogo

If automatic (which you said), Kia for longer warranty.

You didn't mention whether you are buying new or old.

If both cars outside warranty then personal preference.

Edited by movilogo on 17/01/2022 at 13:55

Hi

I'll be buying used

The warranty on Kia is 7 years ideal but I am on a budget . They'll prob

Come with 3 or 6 month rac I would imagine

Both good and reliable then?

T

T

Reliability - Skoda or Kia - galileo

Hi

I'll be buying used

The warranty on Kia is 7 years ideal but I am on a budget . They'll prob

Come with 3 or 6 month rac I would imagine

Both good and reliable then?

Be aware that the balance of Kia warranty depends on full service history, ideally at Kia dealers.

Skoda warranty is for 2 years, but can be extended (at a price!) to 5 years.

Whichever you decide on, check service /MOT history as well as looking at the car carefully.

Reliability - Skoda or Kia - thunderbird

I am about to invest in a new estate car and I've narrowed it down to

Skoda Fabia Estate automatic or Kia Ceed estate automatic . Have researched both

engines but I can't decide on what manufacturer I can trust to give me

Problem free future

No manufacturer can offer you a "problem free future" on a used car. Even the most reliable brand will be a money pit if its been neglected and there is nothing the maker can do about that.

But you have not said if its petrol or diesel you want.

Nor have you said how much you have to spend.

Second hand don't restrict yourself to 2 cars, buy the best you can for your money. Other estates are Hyundai 130 and i40, VW Golf, Honda Civic, Mazda 6, Toyota Auris and Avensis, Ford Focus and Mondeo, Vauxhall Astra and Insignia, Skoda Octavia, no doubt many I have missed.

Large hatchbacks can be almost as versatile as estates and cost less to buy. Look at Skoda Octavia, Vauxhall Insignia, Ford Mondeo.

But I am confused by your 2 choices, the Fabia is an Estate based on a small hatch, the Ceed is an estate based on a medium hatch. As roomy as the Fabia might be the Ceed (and all those above) will be far more versatile.

Skoda warranty is for 2 years, but can be extended (at a price!) to 5 years.

On our Fabia the manufacturers warranty was for 3 years (there were 18 months remaining when we bought it) but I don't think you are able to get a warranty worth the paper its written on with a used car. The Skoda extended warranty is good if you buy it when the car is new.

Hi

I will opt for either petrol.or diesel depending on emissions and mpg. I'm not needing speed ??

I want a compact low boot estate not too long.

I have considered all other choices these are shortest

Budget will be £10000 should get me around 5 or 6 years old

Thanks

Reliability - Skoda or Kia - badbusdriver

AFAIK both estates* have a dual clutch automated manual gearbox, so I wouldn't have either.

*The Skoda definitely will (DSG), but fairly positive the Kia will too (DCT).

Toyota Auris 1.2t/1.8 hybrid, or Honda Civic 1.8 petrol is what I'd go for (assuming you can actually get any for £10k with the current crazy used car prices).

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/01/2022 at 16:21

AFAIK both estates* have a dual clutch automated manual gearbox, so I wouldn't have either.

Whilst Skoda (like all VAG cars) had issues with some DSG boxes 10 or more years ago there have been very few issues with boxes in newer cars especially when you consider the number that are made and the fact that about half of VAG cars made have them. Not read about Kia having issues with their DCT boxes.

Nothing to worry out IMHO providing you buy a well looked after clean car.

But its a bit unfair to call these "automated manuals". Those are the simple cheap autos used by Citroen, Toyota etc that were rubbish and unreliable.

Our next car will most probably have a DSG box and I am not at all concerned with potential reliability issues.

Reliability - Skoda or Kia - badbusdriver

Whilst Skoda (like all VAG cars) had issues with some DSG boxes 10 or more years ago there have been very few issues with boxes in newer cars especially when you consider the number that are made and the fact that about half of VAG cars made have them. Not read about Kia having issues with their DCT boxes.

Nothing to worry out IMHO providing you buy a well looked after clean car.

But its a bit unfair to call these "automated manuals". Those are the simple cheap autos used by Citroen, Toyota etc that were rubbish and unreliable.

Our next car will most probably have a DSG box and I am not at all concerned with potential reliability issues.

Not just about reliability though, it is also about drivability. How the car deals with reversing, multi-storey car parks, parallel parking, pulling on to a busy road. As for reliability, this is going to depend on how previous owners have treated it, and how would you find that out on a 5-6 year old car?.

As for the "cheap simple autos", I'm assuming you are talking about single clutch automated manuals?. First, VAG also used these, second, while they tend to be worse to drive, they are not generally any less reliable than dual clutch versions. If anything, they are more so due to being simpler, though as with DCT's, this will depend on how previous owners have driven the car.

Looking on Autotrader, it appears there will be very little choice for the OP with the budget and type of car, so he may have little option but to go for a DSG (bear in mind the Skoda will also use the weaker dry clutch version, no idea about the Kia). If so, he'll just have to cross his fingers that he gets one who's previous owner/s have driven it with some mechanical sympathy

Reliability - Skoda or Kia - SLO76
Leave out the Skoda if it’s used and needs to be an auto, the DSG auto box has a terrible reputation for failures, so much so that warranty firms charge dealers double premium to cover them. They’re complex and cripplingly costly to fix or replace.

When buying a used car you need to spread your net as wide as possible, don’t exclude other options like the Toyota Auris estate for example and above all keep things as simple as possible. Forget automated manual gearboxes like the DSG or Fords Powershift, stick instead with Robust torque converter boxes as used by the likes of Toyota, Honda or Mazda.

What’s your budget and where roughly will you be searching? Does it need to be an automatic? How many miles roughly will it cover in a year? And how are you financing it?

Edited by SLO76 on 17/01/2022 at 19:04

Reliability - Skoda or Kia - SLO76
Sorry, should read: robust torque converter or CVT boxes as used by Mazda, Honda and Toyota.