What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Egr issue - kritche

Have a bit of a rough idle on my mk2 focus zetec(1.8 petrol hatchback)

Was told to give the egr a clean. So got some cleaner but upon taking the part off it seemingly discharged a small amount of water. I cleaned it up and put back on. But am guessing it wasnt supposed to have fluid in?

What kinda problems have i walked into? Would anything else be broken?

Starting to regret buying that car now as apparently didnt need anything mechsnically when i purchased it .

Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Egr issue - elekie&a/c doctor

Why do you think the egr is faulty ? They don't often give trouble on a petrol engine. The egr valve is heated via the cooling system, so I suspect you have lost a small amount of water. The 1.8 Zetec engine in these is pretty reliable. I would get the running systems checked properly.

Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Egr issue - thunderbird

The 1.8 Zetec engine in these is pretty reliable.

The OP says its a Mk2 therefore it will not have the Zetec engine. The Mazda based chain cam engine was used in the Mk2 1.8 and 2 litre cars.

We had a Mk1 1.8 and a Mk2 1.8. Had the Mk1 from 1998 to 2008 and the Mk2 from 2008 to 2019.

The Mk1 had the cam belt replaced (cheap enough at about £250 fitted- inc. pulleys and tensioner and its stupid not to when a breakage would probably wreck the engine) and a serpentine belt when the original showed signs of cracking (£30 fitted).

The Mk2 had no issues whatsoever. No cam belt to worry about and the serpentine belt still looked fine at nearly 12 years old.

Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Egr issue - FP

I ran a 2-litre Mk2 Focus for some years. The EGR failed at one point - a bit of an awkward job to replace, according to my indie who did it.