What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota - Refresh your car? - groaver

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-tech%2C-develo...k

Interesting but at what cost?

Toyota - Refresh your car? - edlithgow

Seems to imply a rather fixed lifespan. Not sure I like that idea, since it could easily become obligatory rather than a matter of choice.

Another coffin in the offing for DIY and Bangernomics,

Still, mine will arrive long before then.

Toyota - Refresh your car? - Steveieb

Great idea but wonder if my nineteen year old Corolla Verso will qualify?

But with the news I heard from my friend who tried to change his battery on his S 4 the nails are already in the coffin for DIY.

The car refused to start the next day so it was recovered the next day to Audi who found that the battery had not been linked to to the cars main computer . So no DIY battery changing in future for newish cars?

Is this common and when was it introduced ?

Toyota - Refresh your car? - thunderbird

Its clear enough to me what this this proposal means and its nothing to do with privately owned vehicles.

Quote: Toyota will take vehicles back to the factory after their first use cycle (ie a typical lease contract) and refurbish them “to the best standard” to ensure the second user has as new a vehicle as possible.

So at the end of the lease the total tat that is returned goes back to some facility and gets made to look new and Toyota then inflate the price.

Don't see me ever buying one.

Toyota - Refresh your car? - movilogo

So effectively refurbished car? Like refurbished phone, computer, TV etc?

Toyota - Refresh your car? - FP

"The car refused to start the next day so it was recovered the next day to Audi who found that the battery had not been linked to to the cars main computer . So no DIY battery changing in future for newish cars? Is this common and when was it introduced?"

I became aware of this some while ago, but cannot find anything officially definitive about my Mazda CX-5, a 14-plate with what I'm certain is the original battery, which I'm assuming will need a new one at some point.

However, I did find online somewhere a procedure for "initialising" a new battery, which I assume means making the car's systems recognise a different battery is present. It involves pressing the brake and accelerator pedals and the i-Stop button, among other things. The new battery must be at least 75% charged, apparently. No idea if it works.

Edited by FP on 08/01/2022 at 14:50

Toyota - Refresh your car? - RT

The advice on VW forums is to use the VCDS diagnostic system and change one character of the battery identification - that cons the system into thinking it's a new battery and starting the adaptation from factory settings. I'd expect to do the same with an Audi.

So battery changing is certainly not easy any more.

Toyota - Refresh your car? - Sparrow

A replacement battery has to be notified to my car's computer so it knows battery capacity and type. This is on a 2008 3 series. bmw. The car has a complex battery management system.

Toyota - Refresh your car? - Ian_SW

This proposed Toyota scheme sounds like a slight variation on "NetworkQ - Used Cars Like New" to me, which has been around from Vauxhall for 20 years at least!!

Reading between the lines, I think it says they no longer trust the dealers to do the "Approved Used" checks, or are perhaps considering cutting dealers out of the equation entirely.

Given that if I bought a new Toyota Corolla tomorrow, chances are it would last 15-20 years with only routine service items, I don't see the point of this scheme. I doubt whether there will be much in the way of mechanical "refurbishment" as none would be required. So all that leaves would be to give the interior a good clean perhaps replace a few bits of interior plastic which had got scratched and touch up the stone chips. That's exactly what the "Approved Used" schemes do at the moment, though perhaps the factory could do a better job at preparing the used cars than most main dealers seem capable of these days.....

Toyota - Refresh your car? - SLO76
If my near twelve year old Avensis is anything to go by there won’t be much refurbing required.
Toyota - Refresh your car? - Falkirk Bairn

>>there won’t be much refurbing required.

All depends who was the driver - I had many a company car - some of my colleagues seemed to look after their cars - drove it with some car, washed it, had it serviced others essentially treated their new car as if it were a banger - scraped, bashed, never checked fluids, washed if in for a service etc etc.

My cars tended to be "still smart" even with 80/90K on the clock when they were replaced.

Toyota - Refresh your car? - Engineer Andy

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-tech%2C-develo...k

Interesting but at what cost?

Perhaps like getting a 'tower' desktop PC and just replacing the innards every 5-10 years?

Only worth doing with cars though if the bodyshell is completely and near permanently corrosion-proof. Whilst modern cars are far better than those (like mine) of 15 years+ ago, they will still rust eventually.

Making cars 'generic' under the skin (like computers) would certainly reduce costs and hopefully CO2 emissions / use of raw materials, maybe changing the innards or shell (swap/sell on sometimes?) rather like the old joke with original brooms but having had 2 handles and 4 heads...

It's not as though having one car's innards and another's shell hasn't been done before...