What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Blind spot mirrors - wantstolearn

Small mirrors to attach to door. mirrors are advertised claiming to show blind spots.

Do these work ? If so any recommendations.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - badbusdriver

Do they work?, well yes, it is a mirror after all!.

But, they are very small, so just how much help they are will be determined by how well you can take in what you see in the tiny image. My Caddy van had them fitted when I bought it, the small round ones you stick on the glass. It is easiest to use them when pulling away from the kerb to see if there are cyclists or pedestrians. But using them on the move is not so easy because of the small size. As well as the size, another drawback is that these (stick on ones) obviously restrict the available view in the 'main' mirror (and many modern cars already have quite small mirrors for aesthetic reasons). So if I was looking to fit them myself, I'd go for the type which attaches to the top or bottom of the mirror.

Thanks bbd for prompt and helpful answer. Laughed reading your first point. Should have phased first question better. I used to teach English !

Don't think I'll bother with them. Thanks again.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - bathtub tom

Does any manufacturer still fit door mirrors with two mirrors? One showing standard rear view and the outside edge showing a wider angle?

Any - Blind spot mirrors - badbusdriver

Does any manufacturer still fit door mirrors with two mirrors? One showing standard rear view and the outside edge showing a wider angle?

Used to be the case that there was a clear distinction between the standard mirror and the wide angle section at the outer edge as this had a vertical line down it. This sticks in mind because many years ago a customer who bought a new SAAB, came back shortly after picking it up, very irate, because he assumed the vertical line was in fact a crack!.

Not sure if it is still the case, but it may be that modern manufacturing techniques enables the mirror glass to have a wider angle section without having the line between the two?.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - Bilboman

Stick-on mirrors have largely been superseded by blind spot monitoring systems in this tech-crazy world, but I've always preferred the over-the-shoulder glance drummed into me by my driving instructor when pulling out, changing lanes and overtaking.Years ago I had an "above-the-mirror" auxiliary interior mirror, which was slim and unobtrusive with a large magnified section at each end (in the "north east" and "north west" zones above the existing interior rearview.) It obviously didn't interfere with the dipping mechanism as most additional mirror devices tend to, but I didn't like constantly seeing my own reflection (and little else!) on my own side.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - RT

Yes - my 2016 VW Touareg has such mirrors although it's a single glass - both sides have their outer edge delineated and a wide angle view there.

Edited by RT on 06/01/2022 at 18:30

Any - Blind spot mirrors - Andrew-T

Reminds me of some US cars which have driver's-door mirrors with a printed warning to remind you that reflected objects will be nearer than they seem. I imagine drivers will cease to notice that quite soon ?

Any - Blind spot mirrors - elekie&a/c doctor
How do you fit blind spot mirrors to cars that have “camera “ mirrors ( eg Audi & Honda ) ??

Appreciate the interesting additional posts. One of the few modern additions I value are ways to improve rear vision.

my parking needs improvement so hope for parking camera in next motor.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - Smileyman

some years ago when I had lost the glass from the door mirror I fitted one of these circular stick-on blind spot mirrors to the centre of the door mirror housing. It gave a reasonable field of view and even met MOT requirements for driver's door mirror.

I don't have blind spot alerting system on the present car so have fitted these, one each side, great for seeing the kerb when parking as well as blind spots when driving. I find it a very useful aid to safer driving. Until I drive a car fitted with the electronic system I can't say which system I prefer to use.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - movilogo

Internet says if you adjust mirrors properly, you can eliminate blind spots completely.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - Andrew-T

some years ago when I had lost the glass from the door mirror I fitted one of these circular stick-on blind spot mirrors ....

These days one would find a cheap s/h mirror on Ebay and DiY :-)

Been there, done that a couple of years ago.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - Tester

Plenty of other responses about this but, as an aside, I found from experience of a close shave years ago that (if physically capable) one should always glance over the shoulder before changing lanes. I think that our motorcycling friends are well aware of this low-tech solution and it's good in a car, too!

Any - Blind spot mirrors - John Boy

One of my previous cars had a flat mirror glass on the driver's side and convex on the passenger side. The convex one showed much more of what was going on behind and to the side. My present car had flat glass on both sides. After a near miss involving a car to my left, I bought convex glass for both sides on eBay. The flat glass was difficult to remove, so I used the supplied double-sided foam tape to fix the convex version on top. Ten years later both are still there.

Any - Blind spot mirrors - movilogo

I have seen cars in North America have this written in side mirrors Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

But never seen this in European cars. Is it because here flat mirrors used and there convex mirrors used? Why is the difference?

Any - Blind spot mirrors - RT

I have seen cars in North America have this written in side mirrors Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

But never seen this in European cars. Is it because here flat mirrors used and there convex mirrors used? Why is the difference?

It's a requirement in the USA on convex mirrors - they can be used in Europe without the warning.