What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Going electric? - SLO76
Swmbo has finally agreed that the approved used Volvo XC60 we last year was a bad call. The car has been nothing but trouble since it arrived and has a few paint and rust defects I stupidly didn’t notice when buying, the two rust blisters on the roof where the windscreen has obviously been replaced and badly fitted are the most concerning and costly to fix. As it was damaged by a third party I doubt the Volvo paintwork warranty would cover it plus it means a trip to the other side of the country to the nearest Volvo approved body shop to let them say no to me.

I took my eye off the ball and got caught out. The only plus side is that we are being offered what I paid for it from several car buying services (as long as they don’t notice that roof - I’ll take it in on a rainy day) so I’m not really out of pocket by much other than the maintenance costs.

The gaffer has a job as a teacher (yes, she’s much smarter, and better looking than me) that’s around a 50 mile commute daily and despite my attempts to talk her into a nice low mileage 2015 Civic 1.6 DTEC I’ve spotted in a local private sale she’s now decided that an electric cars fits the bill as she’s putting around £170 a month in fuel into that greedy Volvo. So off we went today to look at the Nissan Leaf, Vauxhall Mokka- e and the Peugeot 2008. No worries about problems as they’d be brand new and covered by warranty for most of the ownership term.

The only sensible way to run them or most pricey new cars at the moment is via a contract lease as the leasing firms get huge discounts on the cars from the manufacturers. It typically costs £60/£70 a month less than a PCP and ends in exactly the same way with you handing the car back at the end with no money left in it. So why pay the extra for a PCP? Buying outright is out of the question due to the unrealistic list prices, it works out dearer over 4yrs even if you factor in a worthwhile discount even if one was possible.

The Mokka was the surprise winner to her and to me. It’s quite appealing inside and decently spacious for a small car. On PCP it’s around £400 a month which is unrealistic but on lease over 4yrs at 12.5k p/a it’s around £315 a month which factoring in the fuel saving of around £130 a month via a nearby free (for now) charger is quite reasonable.

Me personally, I’d buy a used pre 2017 diesel Civic and enjoy reliable, cheap motoring that I own outright but the boss wants something fancier. I’ve only done some basic back of a fag paper calculations so far but it does seem electric is viable here and it’ll cost me less per month than the loan for the Volvo currently does but it’ll last 4yrs instead of the 18mths left on the current car but it’s costing a fortune in repairs and maintenance plus fuel.

What to do? Have at it regulars.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/01/2022 at 17:32

Going electric? - badbusdriver

Well I have no issues at all with EV's assuming you can charge at home. The Mokka has a range of just over 200 miles, so shouldn't need charging more than every third day. In cold weather you can programme it to warm up in advance, so no scraping of windows. And you will (presumably) be keeping the Avensis should a long journey be necessary, especially one where finding a charger could be tricky.

Although I have not read anything specific on the electric version, the motoring press do seem to like the new Mokka on the whole.

Going electric? - SLO76
“ And you will (presumably) be keeping the Avensis should a long journey be necessary, especially one where finding a charger could be tricky.”

Yup, old faithful will be staying. Though with a range of around 209 miles, probably 150 in the real world the Mokka would get us to our regular motorway toilet and munchy stops and a fast charger easily enough. I won’t be worrying about the impact of regular fast charging as it’ll never be mine, unless the lease company offers it at a very appealing price at the other end. I do wish I’d taken up the offer from Lex on our old CRV 1.6. That was the ideal big car for her and would’ve served far more faithfully than that sodding Volvo.
Going electric? - _

I did like the looks of the new Mokka, but not the petrol engines,

Leccy not for me personally, but if it ticks your boxes and the BOSS is happy, go for it.

Keep us updated..

Going electric? - nellyjak

A dilemma, SLO....I'd love to seriously consider going leccy...I love the low maintenance and running costs..BUT, it's just too early for me and improvements are happening at a pace methinks... I would insist on having a wall charger at home too.

I'd probably lease..and tbh would probably never actually buy a vehicle again..

Keeping SWMBO happy is of course a factor that trumps all others...lol

Edited by nellyjak on 02/01/2022 at 18:13

Going electric? - SLO76
“ Leccy not for me personally, but if it ticks your boxes and the BOSS is happy, go for it.”

Ticks very few boxes for me, I’d rather have a used Auris, Civic or Mazda 3. But the boss isn’t wearing it and I suppose she pays for half of it and drives it all the time.
Going electric? - bathtub tom

I understand there's an insurance premium for EVs. Have you looked into this?

Going electric? - Wee Willie Winkie

The insurance quote for the Mini electric we have on is less than is currently paid on a 2018 Citroen C3. I don't doubt there are variations and some EVs are more expensive to insure, but not in our case.

Going electric? - Wee Willie Winkie

I've watched a couple of YouTube reviews for the Mokka E. Most highlight the same lack of rear space and small rear door opening. Don't know if that's an issue for you, but there you go....

Going electric? - SLO76

I've watched a couple of YouTube reviews for the Mokka E. Most highlight the same lack of rear space and small rear door opening. Don't know if that's an issue for you, but there you go....

It’s certainly smaller than the Volvo but then so it should be, but it seems reasonable enough for our needs.
Going electric? - paul 1963

Tricky one SLO, I had the previous generation Mokka(from new for just over 3 years) and while it was reliable I never loved it and it wasn't until we chopped it in for our current Vitara That I realised how coa*** the ride was, I've driven the new 'E' and it wasn't a lot different tbh, you need to remember there built on the Corsa floorpan.

Pity about the Volvo, newer ones are not a patch on the older ones, I had a 940 for 7 years, never missed a beat and nothing fell off!

We all make mistakes ....personally I would look at a self charging hybrid rather than a plug in.

Edited by paul 1963 on 02/01/2022 at 20:55

Going electric? - Random

She'd rather have a Vauxhall than a Honda? Amazed she's not after a VW/MINI/BMW!

Going electric? - SLO76

She'd rather have a Vauxhall than a Honda? Amazed she's not after a VW/MINI/BMW!

She does fancy a VW ID4 but it’s adding £65pcm to the cost. Says the ID3 is too small, though I disagree. We’ll probably look at it but personally we both quite like the look of the new Mokka.
Going electric? - RT

Tricky one SLO, I had the previous generation Mokka(from new for just over 3 years) and while it was reliable I never loved it and it wasn't until we chopped it in for our current Vitara That I realised how coa*** the ride was, I've driven the new 'E' and it wasn't a lot different tbh, you need to remember there built on the Corsa floorpan.

Pity about the Volvo, newer ones are not a patch on the older ones, I had a 940 for 7 years, never missed a beat and nothing fell off!

We all make mistakes ....personally I would look at a self charging hybrid rather than a plug in.

The previous generation Corsa/Mokka used the SCCS platform from the GM-Fiat alliance - the present Corsa/Mokka uses the PSA EMP1 platform which is completely different.

.....still rather crude in my experience, the bigger heavier mokka is still built on the floor plan of a lighter car, have you driven one? nicely equipped though and the electric one does go a bit!

Going electric? - Ethan Edwards

I traded my Vitara S in September and bought a Mokka e. Ultimate edition. In Power Red its really easy to live with BUT I'd be remiss if I didn't point you towards the Kona ( didn't drive as nice, but range on the big battery versions is good). Cheaper MGZS now with bigger battery too. We didn't like the looks.

That said I'm very happy with my Mokka. The doors close nice and the interior seems good. I like how the centre bit has real metal inset on the edges. Just nice, well equipped. The intellilux led headlight system is just superb. Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to know. I would strongly suggest you get a home charger installed if at all possible. Range....in cold weather its about 160 to 170 miles, less if you are heavy footed. These are the things people don't tell you.

Going electric? - SLO76
“ That said I'm very happy with my Mokka. The doors close nice and the interior seems good. I like how the centre bit has real metal inset on the edges. Just nice, well equipped. The intellilux led headlight system is just superb. Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to know. I would strongly suggest you get a home charger installed if at all possible. Range....in cold weather its about 160 to 170 miles, less if you are heavy footed. These are the things people don't tell you.”

Thanks Ethan. I’m reading most people saying the range is between 150-170 miles in real life which is enough for us really.
Going electric? - sammy1

It is a Vauxhall which to be honest has never had the best of reputations in the trade. High depreciator and I have already seen discounts on these. There is a new one on AT with a £3k reduction and a few with less. I would be looking more to Hyundai, MG or even a MINI

Going electric? - nellyjak

Agree...I've had the 264, the 764 and the V70 in the past...all really good cars and have always been a Volvo fan...shame that SLO's experience has been so disappointing.

Going electric? - barney100

Volvophile here too, must have been very unlucky for the op, all my Volvos have been good.

Going electric? - SLO76

Agree...I've had the 264, the 764 and the V70 in the past...all really good cars and have always been a Volvo fan...shame that SLO's experience has been so disappointing.

I grew up with Volvo’s and I usually ran a 440/460 as a young salesman in the 90’s particularly in winter to get those lovely heated seats which were a rare thing back then. My folks had several 340’s, a 240 GLT and a 440 Turbo. None caused any bother, other than a fuel leak on the 87 340 1.7 GL 4dr. Volvo’s were mechanically simple and generally tough, even the smaller Renault engined cars like the 340, 440, 460 and 480 (after 89) were hard wearing things that rarely went wrong. I blame American bean counters from Ford for the poor showing of my car. The quality is simply not there anymore. My neighbour has a used V90 estate and again isn’t hugely pleased with it. It’s yet to really go wrong though so maybe I’m being a bit unfair on the Chinese firm who own them today.
Going electric? - SLO76
Found a fairly good deal. Setting the mileage to 10k p/a and with a deposit of £1770 a Mokka-e SRi works out at £295pm. It would save approximately £130-£150 a month on fuel over the Volvo if she uses a nearby free charger often enough and it would see me forking out no more money on repairs for at least three years. The excess mileage rate is low so we’ll pay for any over use and occasionally she can use old faithful to keep the miles down if needed. The PCP rates using a similar deposit are vastly higher and quite frankly make no sense whatsoever. Leasing when looking at new cars is the way to go if you absolutely must have one. I’d rather not but then I’m not management.

All that remains is to see whether the offer of £14,850 for the Volvo (I paid £14,700 a year and 3mths back) from a local dealer group buying service will actually stand close to that money on inspection. It seems an insane amount of money for a 7yr old XC60 but it is the most desirable model in my opinion. Sadly it’s spoiled the brand name for me and there will be no further examples parked on my drive.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/01/2022 at 23:31

Best of luck with that. Couple more things. I run it in Eco mode which easily keeps up with traffic . Drop into sport mode for overtakes etc. Its a dramatic difference, so try it out. Eco limits the heating too but it stretches the range. Oh and turn off the Lane keep assist, it gets very grabby trying to steer you where it thinks. Unnerving at times. The range meter or Guess o meter.....not great. There is a percentage meter for battery level. I just assume 20miles per 10pct battery which works better but A roads and M ways you eat the power. So cruise at the speed limit is the way to go there. Urban driving the power really lasts!. No centre interior light, (one near the mirror) that's irritating. The active cruise is nice. Did I mention how great the intellilux headlights are? Make sure your trim level has them. That's about all I can think of. I'm still pretty happy with it.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 03/01/2022 at 00:39

She does fancy a VW ID4 but it’s adding £65pcm to the cost. Says the ID3 is too small, though I disagree. We’ll probably look at it but personally we both quite like the look of the new Mokka.

That is a strange one, not sure how she has come to that conclusion?.

Not that I am advocating the ID3, but the figures speak for themselves. The VW is the bigger car in every dimension, most notably its wheelbase which is a whopping 20.3cm (8 inches in old money)longer than the Mokka, giving a much more spacious cabin (especially for rear passengers). Even in height (surprisingly given the Mokka is an SUV/Crossover and the ID3 isn't), the ID3 is taller. Neither have huge boot capacity for their category, but the ID3 beats the Mokka by 35 litres.

The other thing to be aware of is that Vauxhall are one of the worst to be effected by the chip shortage so you may a wait for a new one or find some features missing.

Not trying to put you off, the new Mokka looks much nicer than the previous gen car.

Going electric? - thunderbird

You say in your original post

Me personally, I’d buy a used pre 2017 diesel Civic and enjoy reliable, cheap motoring

Yet only 4 days ago you said

Honda’s switch to Chinese production over UK has seen standards plummet. I personally wouldn’t buy a recent Honda.

Why the change of mind or is it how you define "recent". To me a 4 year old used car is pretty recent.

Going electric? - RT

Me personally, I’d buy a used pre 2017 diesel Civic and enjoy reliable, cheap motoring

Honda’s switch to Chinese production over UK has seen standards plummet. I personally wouldn’t buy a recent Honda.

Why the change of mind or is it how you define "recent". To me a 4 year old used car is pretty recent.

Looked at another way - buy the pre-2017 models but not the later ones - seems clear to me.

Looked at another way - buy the pre-2017 models but not the later ones - seems clear to me.

Yes, very clear, so no idea why the confusion.

Pre-2017 is the previous shape (9th gen) car, assembled in (amongst other places) Swindon.

Going electric? - John F

I think there are two separate financial matters to consider here. Firstly, the cost of ownership comparison. A pcp is mentioned for the EV which translates to nearly 4000 pounds a year for hiring it for four years. (That will almost add up to what we paid for SWMBO's brand new top of the range ICE Pug 2008 just over two years ago - and at least one poster thought the 17k price was too much!). How much cheaper would a similar ICE car be?

Secondly, the fuel costs. A 50 mile commute is mentioned which, with additional social mileage, probably adds up to 15,000 miles a year. With fuel now so dear, that'll be around 15p per mile - over 2000 pounds per annum for the ICE. I guess for the EV it will be only a few hundred. It's for each individual to work out whether that saving will eventually exceed the increased cost of having an EV, which to me only makes financial sense for high milers doing lots of short journeys.

Apologies for the typo, should have read "To me a 4 year old used car is NOT pretty recent".

When we bought the Fabia it was 18 months old, I would consider that a recent car.

But some come on here (and other Forums) saying they have bought a new car and it turns out to be 10 years old.

Pre-2017 is the previous shape (9th gen) car, assembled in (amongst other places) Swindon.

Pre 2017 car would be 5 years old (not 4 as I put originally) at the very minimum, there is no way I would consider that as a "recent" car, it entering middle age, a time when expensive issues begin.

Going electric? - Andrew-T

<< Pre 2017 car would be 5 years old (not 4 as I put originally) at the very minimum, there is no way I would consider that as a "recent" car, it entering middle age, a time when expensive issues begin. >>

That's a sadly pessimistic view - it was probably true in the 70s and 80s, when drivers were encouraged to change their cars at 2 or 3 years old. We have now owned our workhorse Pug 207 for 13 years and are still waiting for expensive 'issues' (or modest ones for that matter) to begin :-) .

Going electric? - primus 1

Well, firstly, it’s comforting to know that an experienced car buyer/ seller like SLO makes mistakes, gives hope to the rest of us, lol.
I do like the new mokka especially in electric form, I quite fancy the new Yaris cross, out of curiosity I specced up my ideal car on the Toyota website and also used their px valuation service, they offered me £22,250 for my puma, not far off what I paid for it 18 months ago, for me, a self charging hybrid makes more sense although I’m a perfect candidate for an electric car I’m just not sure about our regular holidays down to Cornwall, ok, you can find charging points on the motorway but it’s when you get to your destination that concerns me, also convincing er indoors that buying a car that changes gear itself ( the Yaris is auto ) or pressing a button to select forward/reverse, ( electric) isn’t some form of witchcraft….

Going electric? - SLO76
“ Looked at another way - buy the pre-2017 models but not the later ones - seems clear to me.”

Exactly
Going electric? - Trilogy.
“ Looked at another way - buy the pre-2017 models but not the later ones - seems clear to me.” Exactly

Just buy her a Honda and stick a personalised number plate on it so she doesn't know its age.

Going electric? - Engineer Andy

Given SWMBO is likely to deplete the EV battery in about 3 days, make sure your charging facilities are sufficient to cover that.

Just read a report in the Telegraph today that said many house owners, especially of older properties and in more rural/smaller urban areas, do not have sufficient electrical supply (100A+) for their home, and some don't have that for the locale area either.

Admitely that includes fast chargers (7-11kW) and them going for either two chargers or one plus ground/air source heat pumps for home heating/hot water production, but some were being asked to stump up well over £10k just for the leccy upgrade, not even including any charging facilities.

Personally I'd try and convince SWMBO to avoid the Nissan and go for a plug-in hybrid with a decent range, as that would technically not require a fast charger but would reduce petrol bills considerably.

Going electric? - Chris79

I can’t comment on the pros or cons of a Mokka but I have just spent the last 23000 miles running an electric Hyundai Ioniq as a work commuter.

in a nutshell I have no regrets. I lease mine via a work based salary sacrifice scheme and it is very cost effective. Fuel costs are minimal. I reckon based on current diesel costs I’d be putting £238 a month of diesel into the car. My electricity costs are £30 based on solely charging at home off peak on the Octopus go tariff.

I have found I far prefer driving the electric car for commuting than either a manual or automatic diesel. The linear torque / acceleration and regenerative braking make the car at absolute doddle to drive.

in terms of range, the quoted range is 183 miles. In the height of summer that was up to 200 and in the depths of winter at -2 the range was down to 163.

Providing you don’t drive like a numpty the range is the range. Turning on the heating normally wipes 5-7 miles off the range but if you turn it off after 30 minutes you normally see the large bulk of that range reappear.

In summary as a commuter wagon to do a 92 mile round trip every time I go to work is has proven a complete success.

would I buy one outright - No, Would I have it if it was our sole vehicle - No, we need a diesel estate to tow with. Would I rely on the public charger network - no but these are not issues for us.

It may be worth getting a home charger, granted if the free charge point is consistently accessible and remains free great, however it does not seem unusual for them to break for significant periods of time.

Good luck!

Going electric? - Hy Sid

Similarly, we've been running an electric Ioniq for the 8000 miles/9 months (bought at a year old). And also getting range between 160-200 miles winter/summer (a bit less if lots of motorway miles in that). Not had a problem with it, really easy to drive. It was meant as our second car, but now does virtually everything apart from very long trips.

We test drove a Corsa E prior to choosing the Ioniq - It felt like a conventional car which had quickly had an electric drive-train added, maybe the sister Mokka is better. The Ioniq felt far better integrated as a properly thought through electric car. But the Ioniq is a 'head' rather than 'heart' kind of car.

If your usage fits electric, you can charge at home, and you can either afford the up front or lease/PCP costs then it's electric all the way.... But I wouldn't want an EV if I was relying on public charging - They seem to be getting busier all the time. But charging at home is easy if you can park off road and get a charger fitted - Smart meter needed for the best electricity rates.

Going electric? - SLO76
Attempt to talk swmbo into a cheaper and more economical Civic diesel (there’s a nice one privately for £10k nearby) have sadly failed and it seems electric is a go go if I want to have an easy life. It’s flawed logic to me and I fully expect much upset when she has to use old faithful on longer runs, it won’t be getting upgraded until something major fails - probably around 2050. It’s her money (and some of mine) to spend as she so wishes.

Volvo is booked in to WBAC and a local equivalent who are provisionally offering £14,500 and £14850. We’ll see what they actually end up offering. Both are silly figures for a 7yr old XC60 I paid £14,700 for well over a year ago at a main dealer. I want to cash in on the equity and exit a troublesome car and running an electric car will be an interesting experiment. Not that I’ll use it much.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/01/2022 at 23:12

Going electric? - Big John

I've got some friends who have a Hyundai Kona electric - ignoring the high purchase price I must admit I'm impressed. They are able to drive from Yorkshire to London without any range anxiety. My goodness does it pick up it's skirts when you kick down to overtake.

Going electric? - expat

There are potential big savings on fuel costs with the electric vehicles but that is partly because the cost of petrol and diesel are inflated by government taxes. It will be interesting to see if the govt try to make up missing out on fuel taxes. I suspect that they will eventually come up with some sort of mileage tax.

SLO you have said in the past that your missus gives cars names like Venus the Volvo. May I suggest that the electric car is called Sparky!

Just read a report in the Telegraph today that said many house owners, especially of older properties and in more rural/smaller urban areas, do not have sufficient electrical supply (100A+) for their home, and some don't have that for the locale area either.

Our current property, built mid 50's has a 100A main fuse. Our previous property had a 3 phase 60A per phase supply (the main cable was absolutely huge).

No expert on electric cars but it appears most home wall box chargers are 7kw. A tap at the Casio suggest that is 30.4A on a 230 volt supply. So why would having a wall box on a 60A supply be such an issue?, our double oven takes that much power when both parts are on at the same time. A 10kw electric shower is even higher.

I guess using the double oven at the same time as a 10kw shower and then trying to charge the car all at the same time could cause an issue for a 60A supply but who is going to do that?

Having just read up on wall boxes it seems that the wall box includes controls that restricts the rate the car charges at when other items are being used in order to prevent the main fuse blowing.

But since most people will be charging overnight using cheap rate electric I would not expect many to have an issue.

Going electric? - movilogo

Which cars offer more profit margin for manufacturers and dealers? EV or ICE?

Going electric? - RT

Which cars offer more profit margin for manufacturers and dealers? EV or ICE?

Depends how you classify costs - IC cars have lower (relatively) research and development costs but higher tooling costs.

Going electric? - John F

Depends how you classify costs - IC cars have lower (relatively) research and development costs but higher tooling costs.

Depends what you include as well. Just back from taking SWMBO shopping to Milton Keynes and sat in a Model 3 Tesla, much the same size and, somewhat surprisingly, weight, as a Ford Mondeo. But it costs between 15 and 20K more. and it has what appears to be several hundred pounds worth of computer firmly attached to the dashboard which seems to have several other useful functions completely unrelated to working the car.

Another difficulty when trying to make a comparison is the cost per mile of the watts. Talking to the salesman it seems that this can be anything between 2 and 10p a mile depending upon where and when you buy them. It's easy to work out the fuel cost of an ICE car virtually to the nearest penny per mile, as fuel doesn't vary much in price compared to electricity for cars. Anyway, assuming a saving of 35p a mile, give or take 10%, that's a saving of around 3500 pounds per 10,000 miles. So it would take five or six years at 10k miles per annum to make up the difference between buying a Mondeo or a Tesla.

Going electric? - pd

Although on current figures once you take into account depreciation the Tesla is way ahead.

The residuals of all Tesla models seem to a different planet to anything else.

Although on current figures once you take into account depreciation the Tesla is way ahead.

The residuals of all Tesla models seem to a different planet to anything else.

Also, John's figures seem to be assuming a Mondeo and a Model 3 are competing for the same punters, which clearly they are not. If you are going to make a comparison, you need to do it with the kind of car a (potential) Model 3 buyer might also be looking at, namely the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series or Merc C Class.

Going electric? - John F

Also, John's figures seem to be assuming a Mondeo and a Model 3 are competing for the same punters, which clearly they are not.

It's not clear to me. The Model 3 I inspected today did not appear to be particularly well appointed. Perhaps it was the basic model. It certainly didn't seem to be particularly 'upmarket'.

Also, my figures didn't include the opportunity cost of the extra 20k or so 'invested' in an EV. If this sum was wisely invested elsewhere and raided every year for both income and capital for the next 20 years until there was none left (assumed lifespan of the car), it would produce an annual sum which would purchase a great deal of fuel.

Going electric? - SLO76
Like for like the lease on the petrol SRi Mokka and the electric example differ by less than £50 a month so it seems petrol is expected to plummet in value over the coming years according to leasing firms.
Going electric? - pd

Early Model 3s seem to start at mid to high £30ks. Bearing in mind you can get a new one for £42k with March delivery which is better it's remarkable really.

Our current property, built mid 50's has a 100A main fuse. Our previous property had a 3 phase 60A per phase supply (the main cable was absolutely huge).

No expert on electric cars but it appears most home wall box chargers are 7kw. A tap at the Casio suggest that is 30.4A on a 230 volt supply. So why would having a wall box on a 60A supply be such an issue?, our double oven takes that much power when both parts are on at the same time. A 10kw electric shower is even higher.

I guess using the double oven at the same time as a 10kw shower and then trying to charge the car all at the same time could cause an issue for a 60A supply but who is going to do that?

Having just read up on wall boxes it seems that the wall box includes controls that restricts the rate the car charges at when other items are being used in order to prevent the main fuse blowing.

But since most people will be charging overnight using cheap rate electric I would not expect many to have an issue.

Presumably they are expecting people to use said charging facilities (for convenience) in the evening, possibly when other high draw equipment like ovens, ceramic hobs kettles and vacuum cleaners are being run, noting (as I stated in my earlier comments) they did say in the report that this was likely in addition to having a heat pump heating system (which I believe some use electric heating to supplement for hot water heating in winter). In winter when it's dark early and cold, it's more likely that the electrical supply could become overwhelmed.

Many people are thinking of changing both to EVs from ICE and to heat pumps from gas or oil fired heating boilers, so it makes sense to have an electrical system that can cope with both. Similarly if you consider getting A/C to heat and cool your home, which might affect summer as well as winter, where electric hot water heating would be most likely.

I also suspect that 'old' (pre-WWII) properties will not have sufficient electrical capacity to cope, and even with post-WWII homes, it'll probably be a lottery, given the design/build quality of UK housing stock.

I agree it would make sense to follow overnight EV charging, but for convenience (especially if the car gets used to go out on leisure trips in the evening, weekends, etc) some may opt for evening charging after they return.

Going electric? - Falkirk Bairn

We have impending shortages of generating power i.e Reliable 24x7 electricity.

Wind and solar are unreliable - 30% of supply one day and possibly 2 or 3% the next

Many of the older nuclear sites are due to close within 10 years. Hunterston (Ayrshire) 800MW this month, Torness (East Lothian) 1300MW in 6 to 8 years just to mention 2

Coal stations - the 2 left in the UK are to close in the next year or 2.

Bang goes around 8GW out of a maximum of about 60GW (inc imports from EU & Norway)

The other issue you mention is distribution - lack of supply to & from current substations.

A new distillery opened locally and it took nearly 8 weeks to run a 300 metre cable of 3 phase from a substation.

Multiply that effort & cost to say 1/2 or 1/3rd of the streets in the UK and we have a huge problem.

Going electric? - pd

I think most people will opt for cheap rate electricity and charge during the night. In truth a majority of people will only need a couple of hours a night so it'll always be full at 7am.

Going electric? - bazza

I have read recently that the government will legislate in May this year to allow authorities to switch off home and workplace EV chargers for up to 9 hours a day at peak morning and evening times. This to prevent the overloading of the grid at peak times. This will be achievable through the use of smart chargers that are coming our way too apparently. It will be an interesting decade for sure.

I have read recently that the government will legislate in May this year to allow authorities to switch off home and workplace EV chargers for up to 9 hours a day at peak morning and evening times. This to prevent the overloading of the grid at peak times. This will be achievable through the use of smart chargers that are coming our way too apparently. It will be an interesting decade for sure.

Yes I read that too. People with "Smart chargers" may regret installing ones with such an Achilles heal. Mine is a cheaper 'dumb' charger. It has a simple plug it in then its on interface. I like simplicity.

Going electric? - Brit_in_Germany

My recollection is somewhat different. The proposal was for the smart chargers to be controlled so that the default setting would only allow charging during the hours of low demand but that this could be overridden by the customer.

"The Government will mandate that smart chargepoints must prompt users to input a charging schedule during first use. In addition, smart chargepoints must be pre-set to offer users a charging schedule that by default prevents EVs from charging at peak times. During first use, the user must be given the opportunity to edit or remove this setting. The user must also be able to remove or edit this default setting at a later date."

I think most people will opt for cheap rate electricity and charge during the night. In truth a majority of people will only need a couple of hours a night so it'll always be full at 7am.

The way things are going, almost every personal or domestic appliance will depend on the grid supply, which as recent storms have shown, can be knocked out for significant spells.

So if you are that concerned about the reliability of power supply may I assume you don't own a fridge or a freezer. After all it's the same reasoning. Can I just also point you towards the latest EV the Kia EV6 or the Ioniq5 both of which have an option to run mains electric appliances from the EVs battery. Brilliant idea , bound to catch on. Like Garlic Bread...its the future.

So if you are that concerned about the reliability of power supply may I assume you don't own a fridge or a freezer.

I'm not personally 'concerned', just pointing out that almost every device some may rely on itself relies on the grid. At least an ICE car doesn't, at any rate until you need fuel next time ?

Going electric? - Smileyman

Shame it can't be put through the business, lots of worthwhile tax advantages at the moment.

Presumably they are expecting people to use said charging facilities (for convenience) in the evening, possibly when other high draw equipment like ovens, ceramic hobs kettles and vacuum cleaners are being run.

Don't think that will be the case at all. Surely most people with electric cars charge them at cheap rate which is usually between midnight and 6am. Belive there are apps that set the charge times so that you don't have to get up and switch the car off and on. It would be crazy to charge them in the evening when electricity is more expensive, looking at Octopus go the cheap rate is 7.5 p/kwh, the daytime rate is 30p/kwh so like I said, why on earth would you charge in the evening.

Our previous property had a 3 phase 60A per phase supply (the main cable was absolutely huge).

Should have added that the property mentioned was built circa 1930, plenty of capacity.

Not planning to go electric myself, does not make financial sense. Did some quick figures on the Hyundai Ioniq. The EV is £10000 more than the Hybrid. Based on current cheap rate electric and petrol prices I would need to cover over 130,000 miles to break even and since we only do about 6,000 miles a year that would take almost 22 years.

Going electric? - mcb100
Unless you’re a night shift person, there’s no real need to start charging before midnight. A 7kW wall box will deliver 42kW between then and 6 o’clock, good for 100 miles or more.
It’s not just the economics that are driving people towards EV’s. Environmental benefits are a major consideration, and driving pleasure. After 39 years of driving petrol, diesel, mild hybrid, self charging hybrid, plug in hybrid, manual, automatic, my preference now is something without an internal combustion engine. After driving an EV, everything else just feels old-fashioned and unresponsive. I’d pay the extra, and live with the degree of extra planning required for my mileage, just for the power delivery of either one or two electric motors.
Environmental benefits are a major consideration, ....

I think those considerations may be local, not global. Instead of drilling deep holes in inhospitable places to get petroleum, enormous opencast quarries are appearing in parts of darkest Africa which we very easily forget about. If/when EVs become the norm those quarries will be fairly gigantic to cope with demand for rare metals.

Going electric? - sammy1

""". It would be crazy to charge them in the evening when electricity is more expensive, looking at Octopus go the cheap rate is 7.5 p/kwh, the daytime rate is 30p/kwh so like I said, why on earth would you charge in the evening."""

Yes common sense says charge then, but the reality is that there is a big need to charge in the day for commercial, business and ordinary folk going about their daily activity hence the need for public chargers. The more well off will not give a dam when they charge.

The whole energy business is as corrupt as everything else and everyone including people who do not drive are paying high taxes to provide our so called green energy in what ever form..

Going electric? - alan1302

and everyone including people who do not drive are paying high taxes to provide our so called green energy in what ever form..

If you want to live in a less polluted world then you need to pay for it - it won't happwn without money being invested into it.

Going electric? - sammy1

and everyone including people who do not drive are paying high taxes to provide our so called green energy in what ever form..

If you want to live in a less polluted world then you need to pay for it - it won't happwn without money being invested into it.

If you had quoted my whole sentence instead of the bit that suited you then why do we have to pay a subsidy of some billion pounds to Drax that burns imported wood chip. Why do we pay companies that run wind turbines compensation to turn them off when excess electric is generated. Why is the consumer being "forced" to pay for smart meters costing some £88 each to install (no you don't see this on your bill it is in the tariff). Why are we subsidising people to install ground/air pumps and biomass boilers. Biomass is by all accounts now considered more polluting than coal which we are also importing. This list goes on not least the 5%VAT that surely must be an insult especially to pensioners and the poorly paid.

Then there is the bill for all the failed energy companies. Together has failed today apparently being run by a local council. What are they and other councils doing running private companies. The tax payer is subsidising the bills of the biggest failure.

Before electric and gas even reach are homes it is costing us in the region of £250 each in tax of some sort and this is after your income tax

If you had quoted my whole sentence instead of the bit that suited you then why do we have to pay a subsidy of some billion pounds to Drax that burns imported wood chip. Why do we pay companies that run wind turbines compensation to turn them off when excess electric is generated. Why is the consumer being "forced" to pay for smart meters costing some £88 each to install (no you don't see this on your bill it is in the tariff). Why are we subsidising people to install ground/air pumps and biomass boilers. Biomass is by all accounts now considered more polluting than coal which we are also importing. This list goes on not least the 5%VAT that surely must be an insult especially to pensioners and the poorly paid.

Then there is the bill for all the failed energy companies. Together has failed today apparently being run by a local council. What are they and other councils doing running private companies. The tax payer is subsidising the bills of the biggest failure.

Before electric and gas even reach are homes it is costing us in the region of £250 each in tax of some sort and this is after your income tax

If I quoted your original full post I would be not talking about the part I wanted to.

My post also tells you why there are subsidies and why we have to pay more tax - to move over to less pollution energy production companies and people need incentives to do so which is why the government does it. So that is why Drax is paid it's money (not quote a billion though) and that is why that is why money is put into smart meters. Although I think you know this already.

A less polluting future won't exist without a lot of money spending - unless you know different or don't want a change?

Going electric? - FP

"A less polluting future won't exist without a lot of money spending - unless you know different or don't want a change?"

I think it's more that Sammy likes to have a moan about EVs.

Going electric? - sammy1

"A less polluting future won't exist without a lot of money spending - unless you know different or don't want a change?"

OK please try to justify the subsidy of over a billion pounds paid to Drax a private company using public money to profit for its share holders

Also when the cost of gas and electric doubles in April the government 5% VAT take doubles, no wonder Boris is reluctant to remove the Vat despite his statement pre Brexit..

Today a lithium mine goes on stream in Cornwall which will supply the mineral to Uk industry to make batteries. This is very good news although it is a pity that the UK Gov. is giving the company £3million of tax payers money when again this private company will in turn make considerable profit for its owners.

For the record which I am sick of mentioning I have no axe to grind on EV other than their poor range, expense and they are not that green!

OK please try to justify the subsidy of over a billion pounds paid to Drax a private company using public money to profit for its share holders

Also when the cost of gas and electric doubles in April the government 5% VAT take doubles, no wonder Boris is reluctant to remove the Vat despite his statement pre Brexit..

Today a lithium mine goes on stream in Cornwall which will supply the mineral to Uk industry to make batteries. This is very good news although it is a pity that the UK Gov. is giving the company £3million of tax payers money when again this private company will in turn make considerable profit for its owners.

For the record which I am sick of mentioning I have no axe to grind on EV other than their poor range, expense and they are not that green!

The government give the money to Drax and they then use that and their own money to invest in changing a coal fire power station to a wood pellet burning one. It's not just to profit the shareholders. Without that money it would probably be closed down as coal is bing phased out and probably not worth the company keeping running. What part of that do you not understand?

Not sure what the 5% VAT has to do with this discussion?

The mine might not make any money...and I'm sure the owners have put in a lot of cash as well...without a little incentive they may have not had the mine and the jobs that go with it and then would need to import more lithium. Is that you preference to get it elsewhere rather than them having a government subsidy?

You seem to have quite a large axe against EV's - you are always posting new topics and then turning anyting into a criticism...they are getting on for having a range of 400/500 miles in new and up coming models - what is poor about that. Expensive? Yes, they will - new technology always is...I'm sure your car was expensive as well. And they are much greener compared to a standard ICE car.

<< The mine might not make any money...and I'm sure the owners have put in a lot of cash as well...without a little incentive they may have not had the mine and the jobs that go with it and then would need to import more lithium. Is that you preference to get it elsewhere rather than them having a government subsidy? >>

I've no idea how much usable lithium there may be in Cornwall, but the history of Cornish mining since the heyday of copper and tin has not been brilliantly successful in competition with foreign producers.

Going electric? - FP

"For the record which I am sick of mentioning I have no axe to grind on EV other than their poor range, expense and they are not that green!"

Sounds like an axe to grind after all, then.

Going electric? - madf

I expect rolling blackouts in the next five years.

Any country expanding demand for electricity at a rate faster than supply -and adding supply which is unreliable until the first new nuclear station starts in six years time - assumes it has a large safety margin.

We don't.

So we have muppets in control.

I have a backup generator - enough for the freezer and a few lights and the central heating. Those with all electric houses will be stuffed.

Going electric? - mcb100
I’m assuming you’re referencing cobalt, mined in Australia as well as DRC? Most of current production goes to consumer goods - this phone I’m using, laptop batteries, etc.
The amount of cobalt in an EV battery is being reduced - there are alternatives available, and Tesla have stated they are developing cobalt free batteries. The cobalt currently in use, incidentally, is recyclable - 95% is recoverable. Unlike fossil fuel, which uses cobalt in its refining process, and it’s 35% efficiency produces just heat, pollution and greenhouse gases.
Unless it’s lithium you’re thinking about? That comes, predominantly, from Chile, followed by Australia.

Yes common sense says charge then, but the reality is that there is a big need to charge in the day for commercial, business and ordinary folk going about their daily activity hence the need for public chargers. The more well off will not give a dam when they charge.

Don't get this at all. EV's can manage about 200 miles on a charge. So with a decent overnight charge why should "ordinary" folk going about their daily activities need public chargers which cost a small fortune compared to overnight charging.

How many "ordinary" people do 200+ miles each day?

Going electric? - FP

As has often been pointed out, an awful lot of people, in flats and many other types of accommodation, cannot charge an EV overnight.

Going electric? - mcb100
You’re absolutely correct, and given that the average daily mileage in the UK is c20 miles, that’ll involve a trip to a public charge point probably once a week. Maybe plugging in whilst doing a weekly shop.
Over the next few years the charging rates of cars will speed up so it’s no more inconvenient than filling with petrol, as solid state batteries start to come online.
After 2035, so far as we know, it’ll still be perfectly legal to drive an ICE car, they’re not being outlawed.
Unless it’s lithium you’re thinking about? That comes, predominantly, from Chile, followed by Australia.

Of course there are various places - the holes will still be gigantic, a long way from the drivers of the EVs.

Going electric? - JonestHon

Two completely different production/mining technics.

The Ozzies doing in open cast mines while the Chilean use evaporation (so no big holes for them, but hardly any EV in the Atacama to start with).

Going electric? - brum

The real world range of the Mokka is allegedly more like 160 miles

www.companycartoday.co.uk/long-term-test-vauxhall-.../

Take another 10% or more off during winter.

Most people underestimate their daily mileage, that 50 mile commute might be 70 miles with the running to the shops when you get back etc.

So a full charge would be needed at least every 2 days.

Charging at home. If you don't have a 7kw charger installed at home (£900+) then you are stuck with a granny charger that runs off a 3 pin socket ( not all are suitable) and a 2.2kw charge rate, or 24 hours to charge a fully depleted 50kw battery.

Check what comes with the car as standard, many EVs the granny charger is an optional extra

All I have to say further is, good luck, you go first and let us know how you got on.

Going electric? - Terry W

Hopefully some objectivity rather than anecdotes, perceptions and simple factual errors.

Miles driven and charging

The average mileage covered by a car in the UK is 9000m pa - 180m per week.

A car with a range of 180 miles will probably need part charging twice a week.

Fuel costs

Assume - 45mpg, fuel cost £6 per gallon = annual cost for 9000m pa is £1200 pa

Assume - 4 miles per kw, 20p domestic rate = annual cost for 9000m pa is £450 pa

Fuel saving for going electric is £1050 pa. Worth paying £900 for a 7kw charger assuming you can charge on driveway. The comparison with publicly available charging is unclear ranging from free in some supermarkets etc to rip-off fast chargers at m/way services.

Other costs

Lease cost comparison is risk free as it discounts issues of initial purchase cost and residual value. Cost per month for EV over petrol seem to be in the region of £50-80 for a small/medium hatch.

For a new car servicing and other costs are likely to be similar. Longer term is speculation - the risks for ICE are fairly well established, less so for EV.

Conclusion

For a typical owner electric is financially neutral. Lower annual mileage makes EV less attractive, higher mileage = higher savings.

Would I buy one

Not yet, despite my belief that EV is unquestionably the future, and ICE on its final lap!

My car is does ~12 long journeys each year (including southern Spain) which would require recharging en-route or at destination. I would be nervous relying upon availability.

Second car does <3000 miles pa - it is a runabout and upgrading to EV would simply make no economic sense.

Going electric? - SLO76
“ Assume - 45mpg, fuel cost £6 per gallon = annual cost for 9000m pa is £1200 pa”

For us it’s 12,000 miles and 35mpg.

“ Assume - 4 miles per kw, 20p domestic rate = annual cost for 9000m pa is £450 pa”

Many on street chargers are free and we fully intend on exploiting one nearby our house as often as possible.

Going electric? - SLO76
Well, we went to test drive a couple of potential options today. Sadly both were marred by Glasgow’s hellish traffic today thanks to roadworks and an accident but the Skoda Enyaq and VW ID3 both impressed. They ride decently, are very refined and even the smaller ID3 was respectably spacious. We ruled out the Vauxhall Mokka e and the Hyundai Kona due to back seat space falling short.

Downsides are that any colour other than leftover battleship grey is more money, even white - when did that happen? Plus waiting times are up to 6mths. At least I’ll save money on monthly payments in the meantime while the gaffer runs around in the elderly Nissan Note I was selling. Kinda hoping she gets to like the freedom of no finance payments.

I did mention you may have a wait, Ford are currently quoting delivery for November!

Strange the grey paint was a no cost option, it's normally white, the metallic blue/grey paint with pearl black roof was a £800. option on our Vitara ( now named "vira" by swmbo!) although we did manage to get them to throw it in for nothing along with a set of mats.

I know your no fool when it comes to cars but triple check all the tech shown in the brochure are actually included.

Going electric? - SLO76
Yeah, I expected a wait and to be fair it plays into my hands. I don’t really want a never-ending monthly payment for a car when I can buy a good used Japanese petrol car for up to £8000 using the equity in said Volvo without borrowing or interfering with any longterm savings. I’m hoping the wee Note she’ll now be using will remind her of how good cheap motoring is.

Downsides are that any colour other than leftover battleship grey is more money, even white - when did that happen?

When we got the Jazz through Motability in 2017, one of the cars I had looked at was the Ford Ecosport. I was somewhat taken aback by the fact that the only colour available for no extra payment was yellow!.

I'm not surprised that you have to pay extra for white seeing as it seems to be one of the most desirable colours for the motorist in the last 10-15 years. But as grey (as horrible as I think it looks) seems also to be very much on the up, so I'm a wee bit surprised at no extra cost for that.

the Skoda Enyaq and VW ID3 both impressed. They ride decently, are very refined and even the smaller ID3 was respectably spacious.

I'm also not surprised that you found the smaller ID.3 had plenty of interior space. It uses the same floorpan as the Enyaq but actually has a marginally longer wheelbase. The Enyaq's extra overall length (around 40cm) is all in the overhangs, though it is also a wee bit wider and taller than the VW.

Well, we went to test drive a couple of potential options today. Sadly both were marred by Glasgow’s hellish traffic today thanks to roadworks and an accident but the Skoda Enyaq and VW ID3 both impressed. They ride decently, are very refined and even the smaller ID3 was respectably spacious. We ruled out the Vauxhall Mokka e and the Hyundai Kona due to back seat space falling short. Downsides are that any colour other than leftover battleship grey is more money, even white - when did that happen? Plus waiting times are up to 6mths. At least I’ll save money on monthly payments in the meantime while the gaffer runs around in the elderly Nissan Note I was selling. Kinda hoping she gets to like the freedom of no finance payments.

Might be worth having a look at the Kia Niro, which like its sister the Hyundai Ioniq (the original, not those with numbers after them) comes in standard hybrid, PHEV and full EV versions, plus the 7 year warranty or balance therefof. You might find a newish second hand one or ex-demo for a relatively decent price, and it comes with a decent-sized boot with estate-like access.

The main downside (according to the HJ review) of these 'earlier' designed cars is the firm ride, though I do recall from looking at the Ioniq that it could be specced with higher profile tyres which might help smooth things out.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/kia/niro-2016/

Worth a look?

Extra for white? That's crazy, at one time you could hardly give a white car away. I won't have grey, silver, black or white, sure makes finder some used cars harder. Hey ho........ The sheep on the road love them. ;-(

Going electric? - SLO76
“ Might be worth having a look at the Kia Niro, which like its sister the Hyundai Ioniq”

We compared it side by side with the Skoda, ID3 and the ID4 (AC have an “innovation centre” in Glasgow with examples from most manufacturers) and found the Kia surprisingly too small inside. It’s ugly as sin too. The big Skoda was a lovely car to drive. Loads of room, good seats, plenty of poke and it rode properly unlike most modern cars, the ID3 was similar but smaller being based on a shorter version of the same platform. The ID4 weirdly had a shorter range than the near identical Skoda and cost more which rules it out, the Skoda was actually nicer inside too surprisingly.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/01/2022 at 09:54

the ID3 was similar but smaller being based on a shorter version of the same platform.

As I said last night, the extra length of the Enyaq (and ID.4) over the ID.3 is all in the overhangs, the wheelbase on all three are virtually the same, though the Enyaq has marginally the shortest (5mm shorter than the ID.3).

The ID4 weirdly had a shorter range than the near identical Skoda and cost more which rules it out

As far as I can ascertain, both cars are available (in various markets) with 55, 62 and 82kWh batteries. So the only explanation I can think of for the shorter range is that the 55kWh battery is not available for the Enyaq in the UK, but is in the ID.4 (either that, or if they did in fact have the same batteries, VW's range claim is more realistic). Of course you are paying more for the VW (despite the smaller battery, if that was the case) because of the badge!.

the Skoda was actually nicer inside too surprisingly.

I have read that the interior quality of the ID.3 and ID.4 are nothing special, so this doesn't surprise too much.

“ Might be worth having a look at the Kia Niro, which like its sister the Hyundai Ioniq” We compared it side by side with the Skoda, ID3 and the ID4 (AC have an “innovation centre” in Glasgow with examples from most manufacturers) and found the Kia surprisingly too small inside. It’s ugly as sin too. The big Skoda was a lovely car to drive. Loads of room, good seats, plenty of poke and it rode properly unlike most modern cars, the ID3 was similar but smaller being based on a shorter version of the same platform. The ID4 weirdly had a shorter range than the near identical Skoda and cost more which rules it out, the Skoda was actually nicer inside too surprisingly.

The Kia isn't so easy on the eye as its Hyundai equivalent (though the inside of the latter is a sea of dull grey plastic), but sadly very few cars these days are both pretty and practical and/or reliable.

Odd about the interior size - maybe issues as discussed in that other thread about car size comparison, perhaps with this one being an early EV in the grand scheme of mass-market adoption.

If you can hold out for a bit longer, you might find (hopefully as the Pandemic subsides, logistics issues improve and prices fall) you get better bargains and that more EVs/PHEVs come onto the market, both new and nearly new, further improving the odds of finding a great long term buy.

Might be worth (if possible) you and SWMBO getting a long-term test (e.g. for a week) on those you really like, especially to see if living with an EV (especially in the event of your future charging point failing/power cut meaning you might need to charge it up on the go or at the workplace) is for you, a practical/viable option.

Going electric? - SLO76
I think we’re pretty much settled on a base model ID3 in white. The only real question now is how to go about getting it. It (just) qualifies for the government subsidised zero percent loan for electric vehicles but leasing rates are actually pretty good at around £300 a month and you can (via a third party) buy it at the end if you want.

No surprise the boss isn't sold on the Note.

Going electric? - SLO76

Tis a lovely little car, drives without fault. I’m sure she’ll start to love the extra money in her pocket but will it outweigh the loss of prestige? I’ve offered to find a nice wee car for £5/£6k that will come with no monthly repayment.

Tis a lovely little car, drives without fault. I’m sure she’ll start to love the extra money in her pocket but will it outweigh the loss of prestige? I’ve offered to find a nice wee car for £5/£6k that will come with no monthly repayment.

I don't envy your task here, including for the EV.

Going electric? - Xileno

Saved money on car = more new shoes. Maybe that will do it?

Going electric? - Alby Back
About a lifetime ago, when we lived in the middle of nowhere, my wife had left her then new Astra at a railway station to continue her journey to work in the city.

On her return to the station, much to her dismay, the car had been stolen. Can’t remember why her insurance wouldn’t cover a temporary hire car at the time but there was to be a period of time until any payout in case the Astra was recovered.

Being without a car where we lived wasn’t an option as there were no buses or taxis locally.

So, I went to a car supermarket in the city and asked them if they had any super cheap but running and MOTd trade ins “round the back” so to speak.

They had an old, but reasonably sound Mk1 Panda and a deal was done.

The intention was to use it as stopgap car until the insurance money came through or the car was recovered.

The Astra never did turn up and eventually she got a payout.

However, she became fond of the more or less worthless Panda and kept it for four years.

Still got £250 for it then with silly miles and Swiss cheese bodywork.

Edited by Alby Back on 10/01/2022 at 22:02

I think we’re pretty much settled on a base model ID3 in white. The only real question now is how to go about getting it. It (just) qualifies for the government subsidised zero percent loan for electric vehicles but leasing rates are actually pretty good at around £300 a month and you can (via a third party) buy it at the end if you want.

I know you rejected the Niro due to its size, but the all-new one is arriving soon, apparently bigger and nicer to look at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2022-01/all-new.../

Going electric? - SLO76
Spotted a long range low mileage Renault Zoe for sale privately nearby that I could get for £15k (ish) which is around £2/3k less than dealers are asking. Thought I’d try to tempt the gaffer out of a 4yr lease deal and into a cheaper used electric car instead, knowing that she quite likes these. But before making my customary cheeky offer I checked the value on WBAC and a few other car buying sites, in case I want out of it quickly. This was an eye opener.

At the local Renault dealer similar cars are around £18k, this one is advertised at £16k and I’d aim to get it close to £15k. WBAC offered £4,000!!!!
Other local firms offered around £10k. This for a car that retails around £18k. Seems the trade is afraid of battery pack failures and future values on these things will be horrendous. Leasing or PCP are the only ways to run an electric car until someone makes a cheap battery pack to replace the current insanely costly tech.

Hi. Have you checked the NCAP ratings for the Zoe? You ought to they are eye opening.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 28/03/2022 at 08:20

Slo, you've contradicted yourself there, firstly your making a offer on a privately owned electric car but then go on to say the only way to own one due to the potential costs are through a lease deal or pcp ?

Slo, you've contradicted yourself there, firstly your making a offer on a privately owned electric car but then go on to say the only way to own one due to the potential costs are through a lease deal or pcp ?

Did you read his post?.

He didn't make an offer because he checked what WBAC and a few others would offer for it, thereby confirming that personal lease or PCP is the most sensible route to owning an EV like this.

Not so sure BBD and yes obviously I did read his post, wouldn't have commented otherwise!

Not so sure BBD and yes obviously I did read his post, wouldn't have commented otherwise!

Sorry, I'm just not seeing what you are?.

Maybe he was economical with the wording, but it seems clear to me that getting a price from WBAC was confirmation of what he suspected. I don't see why that would be a contradiction.

The only thing I would say (re the cost of a battery replacement being the reason why car buying services offering such low prices) is that as EV's (and therefore used EV's) became much more common, it is surely very likely that cheaper batteries from third party sources will become available (couple of years ago I bought a couple of new batteries to replace the ones on my ageing Makita drill. They were about half the price of genuine ones but work absolutely fine).

Going electric? - SLO76

You’ve misunderstood my point. I spotted an opportunity to save money by buying via a private sale but when I checked to see what I could potentially get for the car if it didn’t work out it immediately ruled out any possibility of buying an electric car. The crippling and unpredictable depreciation is still very much a thing, the trade are heavily underbidding them to factor in the potential of battery pack replacement. Therefore the only way to run one is via a lease or PCP and if the residuals don’t firm up shortly the rates being demanded for these schemes will be beyond the means of most of us.
Going electric? - Brit_in_Germany

Could the WBAC offer be with the leased battery option?

That could certainly explain why the WBAC price was so low, but it still leaves the question of why the other car buyers were offering more than double the price?.

Presumably these companies have the same info available to them, so it would seem odd that one thought it had a leased battery but the others didn't.

Going electric? - SLO76

Good question but there’s no mention of it during the valuation process. I assume the details logged against the reg show that it’s an owned battery. But I do understand the reason why Renault ceased the rental option, it was confusing the used market and killing residuals. How do you value a car with a rented battery pack?

I'd forget the Zoe if I were you it's got zero NCAP rating. At least look at the 4star Fiat 500e or Corsa-e. Less range at 200 miles but safer.

I'd forget the Zoe if I were you it's got zero NCAP rating. At least look at the 4star Fiat 500e or Corsa-e. Less range at 200 miles but safer.

Down to the individual of course, but personally I wouldn't get too excited about this.

I know I have mentioned before about checking the EURO NCAP results of a car you are thinking of. But in the case of the Zoe, I don't feel they are doing themselves any favours without clear and simple explanation of why there is such a huge difference in the results between the original one in 2013 and the zero stars given in 2021.

In 2013 it was given the full 5 stars, with 89% adult protection, 80% child protection, 66% pedestrian protection and 85% for safety assist systems. In 2021 it (essentially the same car) gets 43%, 52%, 41% and 14% in those same categories. Granted criteria changes, but 9 years ago (not that long ago) it was considered a very safe small car.

A car version the VW Caddy in 2015 scores lower in all categories than the Zoe did 2 years earlier. So I should really scrap my 2010 Caddy van as it must be a death trap by comparison! (BTW, that ain't happening!).