What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Is autonomous driving really useful? - movilogo

50 years back there were prediction that by now people would be riding flying cars. That did not happen. In fact, even autonomous driving is not mainstream yet.

In my opinion, unless autonomous driving allows a non driver to independently ride a car, it is somewhat useless.

Either autonomous driving takes 100% driving responsibility or 0% - I think any in-between value is problematic.

A car with no autonomous driving is actually easier because as a driver I need to concentrate on what I am doing.

With driving assists like AEB, LKA, BSM etc. I need to be aware of what car might do and if that is not what I want then I have to take over - which is an added stress.

There have been reports of LKA trying to steer car back to motorway when driver is trying to leave via exit.

Even with Tesla I won't feel confident to take a nap while the car is driving itself. But I can sleep well if a human chauffer is driving.

So my point is that I consider usefulness of autonomous driving as binary value - either fully autonomous or nothing.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - badbusdriver

In my opinion, unless autonomous driving allows a non driver to independently ride a car, it is somewhat useless.

I totally disagree. Yes, full autonomy in cars would be a boon for folk like my parents, as my Dad doesn't drive anymore following a stroke (Mum has never driven), but the bus service between where they live and where I live is not great.

But as a driver, I'd be very happy to let a self driving van take me to where I'm working, I take over to go from house to house and street to street cleaning windows, before letting the van take me home again. During the journey home I can either relax or fill in my books, which would make my day better. For anyone who's commute involves heavy stop start traffic, letting the car take over completely, would make a huge difference to stress levels alone.

With driving assists like AEB, LKA, BSM etc. I need to be aware of what car might do and if that is not what I want then I have to take over - which is an added stress.

I really don't see this as being a problem unless you frequently change between multiple cars with differing levels of autonomy assistance. If it is your own car, it shouldn't cause you any bother at all apart from the first week or two getting used to it.

There have been reports of LKA trying to steer car back to motorway when driver is trying to leave via exit.

And I have absolutely no doubt that in 99% of cases, the driver did not use their indicator (despite what they might claim).

So my point is that I consider usefulness of autonomous driving as binary value - either fully autonomous or nothing.

Without these stepping stones, it is doubtful that full autonomy would ever come, so it is necessary.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - Andrew-T

I have little faith in the possibility of devising a control system capable of dealing correctly with absolutely any unprogrammed emergency. So I expect peculiar and unfortunate events to occur from time to time, requiring frequent recalls for software updates (which may introduce new problems of course).

<< There have been reports of LKA trying to steer car back to motorway when driver is trying to leave via exit. >>

Why should drivers have to use indicators to tell the car to make a turn, when the steering wheel has always done that job ? I agree that an indication should usually be made, but the logic seems a bit loose ? What happens if the driver changes his mind, or the indicator self-cancels ?

Is autonomous driving really useful? - movilogo

If LKA triggers without indicators, then it is bad AI. A good AI system will "see" that car is going towards exit.

AI systems don't rely on procedural computer programming where logic is pre-programmed, rather it devises its own algorithm on the fly so that it is capable of handling situations not seen before.

I think technology is matured enough to handle driving in fully autonomous mode. It is the insurers and/or legislation not allowing transfer of full responsibility to the vehicle and this "hybrid" model is my frustration.

Perhaps I should have titled this thread as "Is partial autonomous driving really useful?"

Edited by movilogo on 30/12/2021 at 12:23

If LKA triggers without indicators, then it is bad AI. A good AI system will "see" that car is going towards exit.

Recent AI systems have achieved remarkable results in beating world champions at certain board games, and in principle similar advances might be made in controlling a vehicle. But the consequences of novel strategies for winning or losing a board game are rather different from decision-making in modern traffic ?

We are not talking about the car trying to stop the driver from making a turn, what we are talking about is the LKA doing exactly what it is supposed to do. That is if a driver is veering off the lane without indication, it is programmed to assume he or she has lost concentration. Also should be pointed out that the system will not stop the driver making the turn, only put up slightly more resistance, along with (probably) a vibration through the wheel. The systems, AFAIK are not as yet psychic, they are not able to know that you intend turning off or changing lanes without you indicating first. So not sure why Andrew and movologo seem to think otherwise.

Maybe you two's driving tuition was different to mine, but my instructor drilled into me very heavily the acronym MSM, Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre. So there is no changing of lanes, turning off or whatever, without indicating beforehand so other drivers know what you are doing (at least in theory), that is, or was, the correct way. I do realise that these days driving students are taught to only use indicators if there are other cars around, but I strongly disagree with this. Using indicators (IMO) is something which should be done automatically without thinking about it.

Perhaps I should have titled this thread as "Is partial autonomous driving really useful?"

Partial autonomous driving would include radar guided cruise control. Personally, I'd consider that very useful indeed.

We are not talking about the car trying to stop the driver from making a turn, what we are talking about is the LKA doing exactly what it is supposed to do. That is if a driver is veering off the lane without indication, it is programmed to assume he or she has lost concentration.

All well and good, in principle. And of course it will probably have the effect of making more drivers signal, in order to prevent the twitching they will suffer if they don't. But I can't see it working except on roads with lane markings which the system can recognise, which will not be the case with many.

And like any new technology it will have to be made fail-safe, so that nothing awful happens when any part of the system fails suddenly.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - mcb100
If there are no lane markings visible there’s a display on the dash showing it’s not active - at least there has been on everything I’ve ever used it in. The car tells you LKA is either working or not.
Same with radar cruise control, if it’s ‘seen’ a car ahead it’ll show it ahead in the instrument cluster.
I’m not a fan of the ‘signal everywhere’ approach - for me it should be Mirror - (consider) Signal - Manoeuvre. A blind devotion to a routine means that a driver isn’t necessarily thinking about that particular lane change, but having to think whether a signal in warranted will result in a driver being more aware of what’s behind/alongside.
Is autonomous driving really useful? - daveyjp

If I want autonomous driving I will use a taxi,

However camera cruise control is a real bonus, especially in heavy stop start traffic, even in urban traffic. Set and forget. The car creeps, stops, holds the brakes, stop starts. To get going wait for the car ahead to move and flick the resume button. Car starts, brakes release and it follows the car in front.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - Manatee

It would obviously be useful and it is, or will be, possible.

And there will be accidents, including fatal ones, that would not have happened with a human pilot.

But if there are fewer KSI's overall and especially if journeys are quicker, that will be seen as desirable.

I hate the idea.

Edited by Manatee on 30/12/2021 at 23:21

Is autonomous driving really useful? - Terry W

I can understand why folk (including me) like driving - for a post war generation it is the enabler of independence, control, freedom, etc.

Autonomous cars need development before general adoption - time is the only barrier. At some point machines will outperform us humans.

Many will welcome the technology - non-drivers, disabled, elderly, etc. Some who can drive get no enjoyment - it is a chore they will happily relinquish.

A "black box" will inevitably be fitted to autonomous cars. It will increasingly identify human drivers as responsible for accidents. Autonomous will continue to improve - humans have probably reached the limit of development.

At some point (10-20) years only autonomous cars will be sold new . Financial and operational constraints will increase to encourage the transition. Very similar to the process being adopted for the transition to EV.

At some point (10-20) years only autonomous cars will be sold new . Financial and operational constraints will increase to encourage the transition. Very similar to the process being adopted for the transition to EV.

I doubt it will be that soon (and even if it were it will be of little interest to me), but I guess the makers and their geeks will continue to pursue this holy grail. On the other hand many people may dislike being prevented from doing things they like, and as the right to object grows, some may even claim an infringement of their civil liberties.

Personally I reckon there are more important problems facing the human race which could do with our urgent attention.

I doubt it will be that soon (and even if it were it will be of little interest to me), but I guess the makers and their geeks will continue to pursue this holy grail.

Personally I reckon there are more important problems facing the human race which could do with our urgent attention.

Autonomous cars will definitely be on the go within 20 years but probably not for use nationwide and possibly not for an individual to buy for their own use (assuming they wanted to). Fully autonomous taxi's being used within certain area's really aren't that far away.

On the other hand many people may dislike being prevented from doing things they like, and as the right to object grows, some may even claim an infringement of their civil liberties.

That seems a strange argument. How would an autonomous car prevent folk doing what they want to?. Surely if anything the opposite is true. People who can't drive will suddenly have more freedom offered up to them by not having to rely on bus/train/taxi (granted the taxi doesn't constrain anyone too much as long as there is a local service).

This is of course true, but I'm not sure what you think a computer programmer or engineer working on automous cars would be able to do regarding the climate, poverty, inequality, politics, or whatever if they weren't in their current job?. You could just as easily say car makers shouldn't bother designing any new models as there are more important problems facing the human race than a fancier infotainment system, yet more power, or an even bigger front grill.

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/12/2021 at 10:06

<< How would an autonomous car prevent folk doing what they want to?. Surely if anything the opposite is true. People who can't drive will suddenly have more freedom offered to them >>

I was interpreting the original suggestion that in 10-20 years time all new cars would be autonomous. Those people who want to be 'in charge' of their vehicle might feel disadvantaged ?

<< You could just as easily say car makers shouldn't bother designing any new models as there are more important problems facing the human race than a fancier infotainment system, yet more power, ... >>

Yes, I could (and would) :-) Makers (as is their nature) will continue to do this to get cash from punters (as is their nature) and to keep their factories going.

The history of cars in the UK is littered with new policies enforced to protect motorists, pedestrians and the general public.

Some now seem bizarre - walking in front with a red flag (locomotive act 1865) although enacted with the best of intentions at the time. Many would have been resisted - there were no doubt protests about compulsory seat belt wearing, tyre tread depth, imposition of MoT (initially for 10 year old cars) etc etc.

Once government comes to the conclusion that autonomous cars reduce the incidence of deaths and serious injuries, the writing will be firmly on the wall for the end of self-drive. The only questions are when, and the transition process.

The history of cars in the UK is littered with new policies enforced to protect motorists, pedestrians and the general public.

Some now seem bizarre - walking in front with a red flag (locomotive act 1865) although enacted with the best of intentions at the time. Many would have been resisted - there were no doubt protests about compulsory seat belt wearing, tyre tread depth, imposition of MoT (initially for 10 year old cars) etc etc.

I remember on an episode of QI, they were talking about how when cars first made it across to the US, there were some truly bizarre requirements of motorists outwith big towns or cities in deference to the horse (if being used as transport). If such a horse was approaching, the motorist would be expected to get right off the road in order to avoid spooking the horse. If this alone did not work, the motorist was expected to 'hide' the car using bushes, branches or whatever. But if this didn't work either and the horse still wouldn't pass, the motorist would be expected to dismantle the car into pieces small enough that the horse would pass!.

Not sure if this actually happened, or if it was just something spoken about without being put into practise. It could be impossible to do follow either of the first two depending on terrain and surrounding vegetation. As for the third, that surely couldn't be workable!.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - primus 1

This subject was recently covered by Matt Watson on carwow, an interesting view on why autonomous cars are a long, long way off…

Is autonomous driving really useful? - alan1302

<< You could just as easily say car makers shouldn't bother designing any new models as there are more important problems facing the human race than a fancier infotainment system, yet more power, ... >>

Yes, I could (and would) :-) Makers (as is their nature) will continue to do this to get cash from punters (as is their nature) and to keep their factories going.

Seems a very odd view - if companies never improved their products we would have cars from over 100 years ago...not sure many people would want that.

I'd love an autonomous car - I do a 2 hour commute...I would rather watch some TV/read a book/do some drawing than sit and drive to work.

<< Seems a very odd view - if companies never improved their products we would have cars from over 100 years ago...not sure many people would want that. >>

I suggest that not all new models represent any 'improvement' (in the true sense of the word). These days much of it is little more than adding another, possibly useful but probably unasked-for, new gizmo. There will always be a need for changes to allow for new legislation or better safety, but novelty is not necessarily improvement as far as my motoring needs go. Sorry. I don't need to keep up with any Joneses.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - Bolt

I'd love an autonomous car - I do a 2 hour commute...I would rather watch some TV/read a book/do some drawing than sit and drive to work.

Surprised at that comment as most people prefer to drive than be driven, ok the area we drive in makes a difference as to scenic or concrete jungle, which imo London is, but luckily I am on the outskirts and most of my drive is scenic within reason.

but then being a back seat driver which I would be as I hate being driven, and would hate an autonomous car, so rather hope we are not forced into one at any time in the future

I would miss all that goes on around me as well however bad drivers can be its all in a days driving to me and would hate for it to be taken away, it keeps the mind working as well which being a backseat driver would take away imo

though I don`t think autonomous capable motors are far away due to more powerful chips and software making its way into cars, probably taxis first then delivery motors before our cars, but should be switchable so you have a choice!

If autonomous proves to be better (safer) than self drive I expect the government will rapidly remove most controls to avoid folk like us thinking we can do a better job and fiddling.

However there may be a need for very low speed manoeuvring - eg: put in a postcode, arrive at the address - do I park in the road or drive, tow caravan to caravan site - precisely where do I park the van etc.

Possibly joystick control for speeds of less than (say) 10mph??

If autonomous proves to be better (safer) than self drive I expect the government will rapidly remove most controls to avoid folk like us thinking we can do a better job and fiddling.

Historically drivers have been 'persuaded' to wear seat-belts, to drink less, and not to use hand-held phones while driving. Most do, some do whatever they want. For me, putting on a seatbelt is done almost unconsciously, even when the car will move only a few yards.

But I can visualise drivers resisting when their car chooses to do something they wouldn't do. And it won't be the same as seatbelts, booze, or phones - there may be much less choice ?

Whilst some laws are treated with contempt by some (eg: phone, seatbelts), the continued non-compliance is largely down to a lack of effective enforcement.

The MOT which regulates tyres, emissions, lighting, etc is the government mandating standards. Compliance is not discretionary - no MOT, = no RFL, no insurance, no drive.

The government have, and can in the future, force technology upon us through legislation (like it or not!)

Is autonomous driving really useful? - sammy1

""But I can visualise drivers resisting when their car chooses to do something they wouldn't do. And it won't be the same as seatbelts, booze, or phones - there may be much less choice ?""

I can just imagine Basil Fawlty thrashing it to an inch of its life!...

Whilst some laws are treated with contempt by some (eg: phone, seatbelts), the continued non-compliance is largely down to a lack of effective enforcement.

But the reason for the 'contempt' is that without having a police-state these regulations depend on public compliance, which itself depends on the public accepting that it 'makes sense'. The British public will not accept a police state, at least a communist-style one where everyone is expected to spy on everyone else and report.

I think you might agree that enforcing the use of seatbelts or the non-use of phones is not a practical proposition in this country ? Compliance must be voluntary, and anyone tempted not to comply should desist from playing cops and robbers for enjoyment.

I agree the law in the UK relies upon compliance and don't want or like to a police state.

But manufacturers will comply with the law. If the law say "fit a joystick and enable functionality at below 10mph", that is precisely what they will do. However much you want to take control, you can't.

Your only choice will be like the transition to EV - continue to drive an increasingly old car sold before the transition date for only new autonomous cars.

It's just a guess but I expect autonomous cars to be mandated for new sale in ~2040, and by ~2050 for all self drive to be banned. By then I will be a few years short of my century so not overly concerned!

Is autonomous driving really useful? - alan1302

Surprised at that comment as most people prefer to drive than be driven, ok the area we drive in makes a difference as to scenic or concrete jungle, which imo London is, but luckily I am on the outskirts and most of my drive is scenic within reason.

but then being a back seat driver which I would be as I hate being driven, and would hate an autonomous car, so rather hope we are not forced into one at any time in the future

I would miss all that goes on around me as well however bad drivers can be its all in a days driving to me and would hate for it to be taken away, it keeps the mind working as well which being a backseat driver would take away imo

though I don`t think autonomous capable motors are far away due to more powerful chips and software making its way into cars, probably taxis first then delivery motors before our cars, but should be switchable so you have a choice!

I'm not sure most people do prefer to drive than be driven - think the majority would rather be driven than have to do it themselves.

Personally I enjoy driving - but can see a lot of time saved by not having to drive when commuting - you may enjoy a long commute - I'd rather not have to but at the moment that's what I have but if I had the choice to be driven then I'd be happy with that.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - Sulphur Man

Every bit of parking assistance technology, from simple audible sensors, to radars, to 360 cameras, to full self-parking systems.... are caveated in the owners manuals as not infallible and that the driver must maintain full attention of their surroundings.

The driver cannot assume the technology has got it all covered. Those caveats still exist in the manual of the latest Mercedes S-class, a car defined by it's technology.

So despite decades of parking assistance development, it's still the responsibility of the driver. And the same applies to all other autonomous technology currently in production cars. The future prospect of a degree of 'comfort' that a sole occupant of a car can do anything whilst the car takes care of all the driving will never, ever be the anything but the responsibility of the driver. Because the manufacturer will expect human intervention, if necessary. They will never ever take the responsibility.

For me, thats no comfort whatsoever, just sitting there waiting to step in should the car make a mistake.

There's also the more obvious, but overlooked fact that cars have grown substantially in scale, and power, making autonomous safety technology a necessity for the driver to feel safe piloting it. Workarounds, basically. Workarounds for flawed car design, especially visibility issues.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 01/01/2022 at 22:47

Every bit of parking assistance technology, from simple audible sensors, to radars, to 360 cameras, to full self-parking systems.... are caveated in the owners manuals as not infallible and that the driver must maintain full attention of their surroundings.

The main purpose of this is a disclaimer to make it hard for drivers to blame the technology for a minor collision. It may well be true that there are faults or blind spots in parking accessories, but the makers must do all they can to avoid litigation.

You are certainly right about the intentionally poor visibility from most current cars - and it is often made worse by tinted glass.

Is autonomous driving really useful? - Ethan Edwards

Our laws will have to be amended to permit true autonomous driving. The Johnny Cab from Total Recall(1990) would be great to get inebriated people home safely, or people who can't drive. Yet presently the moment a non driver or over refreshed person steps into the cab they become liable to arrest and prosecution. If you are still deemed to be in charge of the vehicle even when you aren't then what's the point?