What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - elekie&a/c doctor
My battery has finally given up after 19 years . Looks like the original as it’s date stamped 02 . Do you think I have any comeback with BMW ?
BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - nellyjak
My battery has finally given up after 19 years . Looks like the original as it’s date stamped 02 . Do you think I have any comeback with BMW ?

Disgraceful.....sort of thing I expect from Toyota.!!...lol

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Steveieb

Sounds like it beats the Tesla mentioned on this site which needed its battery replacing after seven years at a cost of €20,000.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - _

Don't you know anyone who can change it for you ??

Big Smiley

Edited by _ORB_ on 29/12/2021 at 14:25

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - catsdad

I found a spare one in my 3 series boot. Any good?

Edited by catsdad on 29/12/2021 at 15:17

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - FP

And there was me worrying about my battery in the CX-5, the original from 2014.

Perhaps the facts that there is a minimal drain on it from day to day, it has never (as far as I know) been completely flattened and the presence of all that clever stop-start/smart charging stuff really makes a difference.

Or perhaps I'm just lucky.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - SLO76

Did better than the last E46 I had. Think I replaced half the car by its 6th birthday. Battery was ok though.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Halmerend
The Marinelli battery on my Fiat Mirafiori lasted ten years. Pity the floor only lasted half of that time.
BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Cris_on_the_gas

If you hadn't used the indicators so much, might have got an extra year out of it !

Happy new year to all.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - badbusdriver

The Marinelli battery on my Fiat Mirafiori lasted ten years. Pity the floor only lasted half of that time.

Wow, the Italian Cortina!. One of the villages I lived in growing up in the Shetland Isles had a Fiat dealership, so there was a big presence. The English teacher in my school, and one of our neighbours, had a Supermirafiori, the 1600 twin cam. I'm not sure the Shetland climate would have done much for the longevity of them though!.

But the two door version in Alitalia livery has to rate as one of the coolest looking rally cars ever!

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Engineer Andy

My Mazda3 is on its 4th (July last year the latest) battery since I bought it (essentially from new) in early 2006. Mine only last 4-5 years, but then I have had long spells of using the car once a week or two.

My (retired) mum and dad's Fiesta (2008) only had their OEM battery changed last year, so not too shabby at 12 years, and mostly used as a local shopping car.

19 years - top marks!

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - John F

19 years - top marks!

Brilliant! I have just had to replace the Yuasa battery in my 2005 Audi A8 - again. I had to renew the battery soon after I bought the car nearly eight years ago, but the Yuasa from Halfords failed after only two years. They replaced it under the 5yr guarantee, but the second Yuasa has lasted only six years. Admittedly the car is not used much and it is constantly alert, e.g. frequently interrogating itself to see if it is level, and levelling itself if it isn't. After two weeks or so this can flatten it, despite its purported ability to shut down functions when 'low battery' is detected. So this time I bought an Enduroline, on line from Tanya. I have also installed a battery charger in the boot and plugged it into an old weekly timeclock, set to give it four hours of charging twice a week. Hopefully this will prolong its life.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - RT

19 years - top marks!

Brilliant! I have just had to replace the Yuasa battery in my 2005 Audi A8 - again. I had to renew the battery soon after I bought the car nearly eight years ago, but the Yuasa from Halfords failed after only two years. They replaced it under the 5yr guarantee, but the second Yuasa has lasted only six years. Admittedly the car is not used much and it is constantly alert, e.g. frequently interrogating itself to see if it is level, and levelling itself if it isn't. After two weeks or so this can flatten it, despite its purported ability to shut down functions when 'low battery' is detected. So this time I bought an Enduroline, on line from Tanya. I have also installed a battery charger in the boot and plugged it into an old weekly timeclock, set to give it four hours of charging twice a week. Hopefully this will prolong its life.

It shouldn't be constantly alert if not used for long periods, it should be shutting systems down - if it flattens in 14 days then some part of its system isn't shutting down properly. My VW Touareg (Audi Q7 sibling) lasted about 4 months before flattening the battery so I just connect a CTEK for 24 hours every month.

I had to renew the battery soon after I bought the car nearly eight years ago, but the Yuasa from H@lfords failed after only two years.

This is an interesting development. I wonder how much H@lfords has paid HJ to enable a mention to be highlighted as a clickable link? Will we soon see any mention of a car manufacturer similarly highlighted?

Edit - just checked the entry, and it's no longer highlighted in blue....????

Edited by John F on 31/12/2021 at 12:23

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Xileno

I think the links are only blue and clickable when you are not logged in. Certainly that's how it is as a mod. I'm guessing it's something the ad agency handles.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Sparrow

My 3 series diesel needed a new battery at 7 years old from new. It is one of the special "Award of Garden Merit" AGM batteries for the start stop system. I teplaced it with a Varta equivalent spec and so far that's done 6 and a half years and seems to be ok at the moment.

These batteries are not cheap. The best price I got was buying it myself and getting my local bmw independent to fit and code it. Cheaper than me fitting it and him coding it, and less than half what the main dealer quoted.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Steveieb

So what are the premium brands and do we still need to avoid Lion ?

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - madf

Bought a Lion battery for Yaris Lasted 13months. Replaced with Yuasa..

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - RT

Bought a Lion battery for Yaris Lasted 13months. Replaced with Yuasa..

I had a succession of family Vauxhalls in the 80/90s and bought a Vauxhall battery for our caravan which lasted 14 years of intermittent deep discharge, something car batteries just aren't designed for.

I bought a 2006 Subaru Outback, at 2+ years old the Panasonic battery struggled in an English winter so was replaced at 3 years old.

I bought a 2011 Citroen C1 last year - it's original battery lasted just 3 years when an Exide was fitted but that was replaced by a Lion some time between 2014 and 2020 - the Lion is working well despite only being used for infrequent short journeys and starts first time even in sub-zero weather.

My point is that there's so much myth and prejudice about battery brands, it's difficult if not impossible to recommend good brands.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Galad

My 11 month old Mazda 2 battery failed. Daily driver, garaged every night. Japanese manufactured battery. Had to be pulled onto a breakdown truck and returned to the dealer for a new battery under warranty. Very disappointing. Never had a car that left me stranded in over 45 years of car ownership. My 13 year old Avensis, sold to a relative, is still on its original battery and 130k miles.

My 11 month old Mazda 2 battery failed. Daily driver, garaged every night. Japanese manufactured battery. Had to be pulled onto a breakdown truck and returned to the dealer for a new battery under warranty. Very disappointing. Never had a car that left me stranded in over 45 years of car ownership. My 13 year old Avensis, sold to a relative, is still on its original battery and 130k miles.

The former would be a car with a stop-start sytem, so perhaps it could have been part of the issue. I'd also have the electrics checked to see if there wasn't an unwanted constant drain on the system like a boot light or such n such. Far more systems on modern cars than a 13yo Avensis. As you say, as it's a warranty issue, the cause needs to be identified and rectified asap.

This time around, I had to have my 16yo Mazda3's battery replaced via an RAC callout rather than the dealership (knwoing it was on the way out) just after the end of lockdown in summer 2020, and I've now got a Bosch battery and of a higher capacity than the three previous Mazda batteries fitted. It apparently also comes with a 4 year warranty.

I also had spells of using my car as a daily driver to work over reasonable distances, others, like the last few years, with hardly any use, but where the trips are of a reasonable length (10-15 miles each way or more), and yet each battery has lasted about the same time: 4-5ish years. Ironically this last one lasted the longest of the three...

As others have said, some otherwise bog-standard batteries appear to last a very long time in a car (like my parents' Fiesta) which the usage pattern says no, and yet yours should mean it's in good condition, and yet...

For me, the lack of consistency over and predictability of battery life is a major disappointment in modern motoring.

For me, the lack of consistency over and predictability of battery life is a major disappointment in modern motoring.

Indeed. In stark contrast to my expensive Yuasa Audi battery, which lasted only a year beyond its 5 yr guarantee, I see from my records a bog standard replacement battery in our Focus lasted 14 years. And there's a lot to be said for having a car with simple electrics with no 'coding' requirements. On my infrequently used TR7 I slip off the positive terminal after each outing, thus stopping the inevitable tiny microcurrent discharges. No spanner required to get good contact, just firm pressure and a slight screwing motion. The last battery lasted 19yrs!

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Andrew-T

<< My point is that there's so much myth and prejudice about battery brands, it's difficult if not impossible to recommend good brands. >>

My impression is that dearer brands may last longer on average than cheap ones, but there are good and poor examples of all of them. You can be lucky or unlucky. I was surprised (and pleased) that the original battery on my Pug 207 (diesel) only started getting tired after 13 years.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - Trilogy.

Elekie, just a thought, what do you think of your 330? Likes and dislikes? Auto or manual? Sport or SE? Thanks.

BMW 330 E46 2002 - Disappointed BMW owner - elekie&a/c doctor
I think the battery may live again . I’ve put it on a low trickle charge and it seems ok . If not , I’ve found a good used one in my garage . The car is a 330 cabrio , manual 5 speed . What’s not to like? It’s a properly built car with quality materials. It’s a low stress motor not like the screamers you get today . Parts are relatively cheap and easy to obtain . Sun shining, roof down . I’ll keep it for a while.
I think the battery may live again . I’ve put it on a low trickle charge and it seems ok . If not , I’ve found a good used one in my garage . The car is a 330 cabrio , manual 5 speed . What’s not to like? It’s a properly built car with quality materials. It’s a low stress motor not like the screamers you get today . Parts are relatively cheap and easy to obtain . Sun shining, roof down . I’ll keep it for a while.

It's ALLLIIIIIVE!