What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Trilogy.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112250808039

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - daveyK_UK
Indeed

That is a bargain, anfuture classic
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - FiestaOwner

This is a car that seems far too cheap. Which makes me think it's cheap for a reason.

There are only 5 photos, none showing the condition of the seats, boot or engine. There's not even one of the back of the car.

There is no description of the cars history at all, not even of any work recently done. You'd expect there to be a bit of a story to it's history.

The last log book was issued in August this year. Why is this owner selling it so quickly, after doing so few miles in their ownership (325 miles, less than a tank of fuel?)?

MOT history site only lists MOT's for this year and 2020. No explanation why there are no earlier MOT's.

Possibly just me, but I'm very suspicious of the lack of any history or detail of any sort. I'd expect it to be worth a lot more if it was up to much.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - _

It's near wrexham,, but you can always phone and ask..

If it's not rusty, mechanically most bits available, and Rimmer bros will sort out lots of stuff..

It's too far for me to go on an off chance.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - craig-pd130

Someone local had a SD1 Vitesse that they'd modified to look a little like the early 80s touring car racers. It was a treat to see and hear it going by, gargling through its drainpipe exhaust.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s passed an mot , so can’t be that bad (or can it ?) . Must be one of the last Sd1 models on a “D “ plate. You could’ve bought a Rover 800 series on similar prefix . It would have to be a V8 Sd1 for me , so I’ll pass on this one .
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - madf

There was a joblot of hundreds of fake cars sold on ebay - all pulled when I referred to ebay. In December this year. The cars were real but the seller's account was a sham and email address on a photograph. All half normal price.

Beware!

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - mcb100
The ad has now disappeared.
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - SLO76
Sold already it would seem. Not a car I’d buy anyway, the only good bit on any SD1 was the V8 engine. The Rover 800 that replaced it was a decent big car once they sorted early reliability issues. I flogged loads of them. Parked up next to a basic Mk III Cavalier of similar age and money an 820 was an easy sell. I loved the image, the comfortable seats and the wood.
Sold already it would seem. Not a car I’d buy anyway, the only good bit on any SD1 was the V8 engine. The Rover 800 that replaced it was a decent big car once they sorted early reliability issues. I flogged loads of them. Parked up next to a basic Mk III Cavalier of similar age and money an 820 was an easy sell. I loved the image, the comfortable seats and the wood.

I had an early 800 as a company car. It was pants: doorlocks. door locks, exhaust, head gasket. pipes falling off.

“ I had an early 800 as a company car. It was pants: doorlocks. door locks, exhaust, head gasket. pipes falling off.”

Yup, early cars were poor. Post 89 they were much better and the later face lifted cars from 92 were actually quite robust.
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - RT

Seems strange to compare Cavalier with 820 - I'd have thought that Carlton/Omega was the more obvious alternative.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Xileno

They were similar prices secondhand so attractive as more car for the money. Like a lot of Rover cars, the later models were quite respectable once they had sorted out all the initial problems.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Andrew-T

Like a lot of Rover cars, the later models were quite respectable once they had sorted out all the initial problems.

After returning from Canada in 1967 (where I had a Morris 1100) I was happy to drive BMC (1100s, a Triumph 1300, then Maxis) until 1983. The Maestro seemed the successor to the Maxi, but one test drive persuaded me otherwise and I got a 9-month-old Cavalier estate with 23K on the clock. Then the 205 started getting good reviews and I've been with Pug ever since.

Rovers may have got better but the damage had been done.

“ Seems strange to compare Cavalier with 820 - I'd have thought that Carlton/Omega was the more obvious alternative.”

They were selling for similar prices to basic Cavaliers which were very spartan by comparison. I was demonstrating what buyers could have for the same money by parking them together.
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Chris M

Car sold for £3,800 on 23rd December.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Chris M

"Car sold for £3,800 on 23rd December"

Posted before I'd finished and no edit button (?)

Sold on eBay with same set of pictures. Then appears on Autotrader a few days later. Bit dodgy.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Metropolis.
The V8 models are dime a dozen or seemed so until recently. Nobody really thinks to keep the lesser engines, so a high spec, smaller engine one is probably quite rare. Lovely cars!!

I always thought the 800 is a handsome car. I read an article on its development alongside Honda’s Legend. Apparently the Rover engineers were not at all happy at the low profile Honda design especially at the front as Rover believed in long travel suspension which was not possible. Honda refused to budge.
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - pd

If genuine I'm not surprised it sold. Massively underpriced. Worth way more than that as a scrapper for bits and if the shell was solid way way more.

Edited by pd on 26/12/2021 at 22:58

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - badbusdriver

The V8 models are dime a dozen or seemed so until recently. Nobody really thinks to keep the lesser engines, so a high spec, smaller engine one is probably quite rare. Lovely cars!!

There is an SD1 2.0 auto on Car And Classic right now for £3450. Looks nice enough, though by no means 'mint'.

The SD1 is a lovely looking car with that Ferrari Daytona inspired front end styling. But under the skin it was actually a less sophisticated car than the P6 which it replaced.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - nellyjak

But under the skin it was actually a less sophisticated car than the P6 which it replaced.

Agree....I bought a P6 (2000TC) but I never bought an SD.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Metropolis.
Sometimes, simplicity is better. The police certainly liked them
The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - edlithgow

Long ago I saw one at auction that had been converted for stock car racing, with a stripped interior and the fuel tank mounted on a frame where the back seat would have been.

Tempted but wasn't sure about road legality / insurability so let it go for buttons (45 or 75 quid, can't remember)

Another one that got away. He who hesitates...that's me.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Steveieb

Remember getting an email from our office in the Bahamas to say that the KV6 engine in the Rover 800 had blown its head gasket.

Called Rover and they shipped a new engine out free of charge and we sent the car to the nearest dealer Miami to have it fitted .

Chris M posted this further up.

"Car sold for £3,800 on 23rd December"....

....Sold on eBay with same set of pictures. Then appears on Autotrader a few days later. Bit dodgy.

Thought I'd add a link to the genuine ebay advert. It has some extra photos (although not of good quality).

Also has a bit of a description of the car too, which does answer some of the questions I raised.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-SD1-2600-Vanden-Plas-/224...7

So the Autotrader advert was a complete scam then. Hope no one was caught out by it.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - alan1302

si=l%252FmQSzDPSSg6bkJTlDoKW%252Bz8bZo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So the Autotrader advert was a complete scam then. Hope no one was caught out by it.

Not necessarily, could have sold on eBay, then the buyer pulled out so they put it on AutoTrader and had a quick sale. The eBay ad already mentions they have had problem buyers in the past.

si=l%252FmQSzDPSSg6bkJTlDoKW%252Bz8bZo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Not necessarily, could have sold on eBay, then the buyer pulled out so they put it on AutoTrader and had a quick sale. The eBay ad already mentions they have had problem buyers in the past.

Used cars and problem buyers go together.

When you get the impression that a car seems at all dodgy the best thing to do is walk away from it (before paying any money). There are 2 cases on the legal thread, from the past 11 days, where buyers fell in love with cars and let their guard down (both will lose the cars and their money).

The price dropped from £3800 to £995!!

Do you really believe the Autotrader advert was legit?

Thanks for the pointer to the Legal Section.

Just read the two cases.. Very sad.

Thanks for the pointer to the Legal Section.

Just read the two cases.. Very sad.

Very sad indeed. The original owners will have been paid below book value by their insurers and will also suffer increased premiums in future years.

The buyers have paid for the cars, but have lost their money and the cars.

The only winners are the car thieves who are unlikely to be caught. If they are caught, it's unlikely they will be made to pay up for their crimes.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - pd

Sd1 2600s in moderate to reasonable condition seem to be fetching £4-5k at classic auctions at the moment so the genuine eBay ad looks about right at £3800

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - alan1302

When you get the impression that a car seems at all dodgy the best thing to do is walk away from it (before paying any money). There are 2 cases on the legal thread, from the past 11 days, where buyers fell in love with cars and let their guard down (both will lose the cars and their money).

The price dropped from £3800 to £995!!

Do you really believe the Autotrader advert was legit?

The AutoTrader ad was gone before I'd seen it so had not seen the AutoTrader price.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Sofa Spud

The Rover SD1 was a styling masterpiece even if it did look suspiciously similar to a 'stretched' Ferrari Daytona. Technically though it was a step backwards from its predecessors, the Rover P6 and P6B.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - RT

The Rover SD1 was a styling masterpiece even if it did look suspiciously similar to a 'stretched' Ferrari Daytona. Technically though it was a step backwards from its predecessors, the Rover P6 and P6B.

The SD1 was designed and built like an Austin - it marked the downmarket change in the Rover brand from premium to mainstream.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - badbusdriver

I have a very specific memory of when I first read about the SD1 Vitesse. On the overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Lerwick (Shetland Isles), I couldn't sleep, so pulled out the issue of Motorsport Magazine my Dad had bought me (I'd have been about 10) and there was a road test on the (then new) Vitesse.

For all that it was a step backwards in terms of engineering and sophistication, I'd still have one!.

Have to say though, my favourite Rover is a bit older than the SD1. I'd have a P4, ideally one of the 6 cyl versions.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - Xileno

Typical Leyland car, great design released before being fully tested. Neighbour had a new one in about 1977, the 2600 I think. Didn't keep it long...

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - thunderbird

Typical Leyland car, great design released before being fully tested.

Interesting concept that, British Leyland and Great Design.

BMC had introduced some great cars in the 60's such as the Mini, 1100 family, Maxi and 1800 family but by the 70's it was going badly wrong.

After BL was formed in 1968 think what they introduced.

The Marina which was basically a rebodied Morris Minor.

The Allegro which could have been great but it never was, far from it in reality.

The Dolomite. Take a 60's innovative FWD saloon (the 1300) and make it RWD using a live axle (from the Morris 1000, shared with the Marina), hardly great design. Suppose the Sprint was interesting but unreliable compared to the Ford RS200 and later the Golf GTi. Eventually turned it into the TR7.

The Mk2 Triumph 2000 and 2500 which were simply body redesigns of the Mk1. Eventually replaced by lesser versions of the SD1.

The Princess. Take the 1800 and turn it into a piece of cheese with worse suspension. Then after a couple of years remove the reliable B series engine and replace it with the rubbish O series. Later still change the name and make it the hatchback Ambassador.

Truth be told the Maxi did get better for a while in the early 70's and should have been a world beater but the management ensured it would fail.

Then there was the SD1. Take a brilliant and reliable V8 and put it in a new good looking hatchback body with a basic but pretty well proven suspension layout. All very simple yet effective but somehow they made it unreliable and rusty.

The 2600 engine was initially unreliable junk. Drove one. Disappointing.

I had Rover P4s =75 and 100. Great cars. Pity they were undriveable in snow.

Great VFM used.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - groaver

It's amusing as there is a thread about Talking Pictures tv station in "general".

There's a film on just now called Rita, Sue and Bob too.

Bob's got a Rover SD1. Seems quite roomy for his purposes!

Edited by groaver on 29/12/2021 at 21:23

It's amusing as there is a thread about Talking Pictures tv station in "general".

There's a film on just now called Rita, Sue and Bob too.

Bob's got a Rover SD1. Seems quite roomy for his purposes!

I managed 10 minutes of the film.

Dire -.

The bargain of the year? Rover SD1 - groaver

I think it is what film critics would call earthy/gritty northern comedy.

It wasn't great was it?

I think it was a 2300 he was 'driving'.