What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - lucklesspedestrian

So....

Son in law has had a 2010 Kia Ceed for about a year now (1.6 petrol auto). A few months ago he noticed the oil warning light coming on and it seemed to need topping up rather frequently. Local garage found the oil filter was not properly seated, sorted that and reckoned that was the problem. (we were a bit puzzled because there was no trace of oil on the driveway and equally no obvious blue smoke or other indication of engine wear and the car ran sweetly enough). Everything was fine after that, no oil warning lights etc until yesterday when on the Edinburgh bypass he noticed rather a lot of engine noise, followed a few mins later by the cars behind him flashing their lights in warning. Then there was a loud bang and it was onto the hard shoulder. The breakdown guy came to the same conclusion I did i.e. big end gone and sure enough he checked for oil and it was bone dry.

He got the car cheap, it's going to be uneconomical to repair and he just has to chalk it up to experience but given the information I've been able to provide, would any of the backroomers like to hazzard a guess as to what went wrong and why?

Also, if anyone knows of a decent petrol car, min 6 months MOT, max price £1300 in the Glasgow/Edinburgh/Fife/Tayside area of Scotland could you let me know please! It only has to last 3 or 4 months before he will be able to get something significantly better.

Having read this forum for some time I know to try to keep it to petrol/Japanese (Yaris!!) or Focus/Fiesta with yamaha engines or simply for that price just go for the least abused car out there and don't worry about specific make/model and have a good look at the MOT history on the DVLA and pay particular attention to the possibility of terminal rot. I guess private sales are more likely to turn up 'a good 'un'

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 19/12/2021 at 12:44

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - thunderbird

and sure enough he checked for oil and it was bone dry.

would any of the backroomers like to hazzard a guess as to what went wrong and why?

It ran out of oil.

Because it had not be checked and topped up.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - Engineer Andy

and sure enough he checked for oil and it was bone dry.

would any of the backroomers like to hazzard a guess as to what went wrong and why?

It ran out of oil.

Because it had not be checked and topped up.

Assuming that model doesn't have a history of excessive use of oil, most people should not need to continually top up with oil at the rate the OP had to. To me, this sounds like some other issue that caused the problem.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - SLO76
Without a full engineers report you’ll never really know the full story but I’d hazard that it’s been caused by oil starvation, possibly via someone not fitting the oil filter properly or damaging its mounting when servicing the car. These aren’t known as weak engines but I’d’ve expected a pool of oil somewhere. Possibly the damage was done beforehand and it was burning oil due to the damage. You can probably guess I’m no mechanic though.

I do have a tidy 59 plate Nissan Note 1.4 coming up for sale in the next few weeks but it’ll be a bit more money and I’m over the other side of the country in sunny Prestwick. I’ll look for alternatives near Edinburgh.

Out walking my usual 5 miles this afternoon and remembered about an incident we had with the 1.8 petrol Focus in about 2001 or 2002.

2 days after having the car serviced me and the Mrs were off to work and as I pulled of the drive she ran after me so I stopped. There was a pool of oil on the drive. Parked it on the road, Mrs went to work, I called the RAC.

Once he had removed the under engine shield (which had quite a bit of oil in it) he checked the sump plug which was fine and then the oil filter which was not. The rubber O ring was sticking out the side and not doing its job. He took off the filter and said he needed to get a new one as the rubber O ring could not be trusted again. Went to local factors or wherever and when he got back showed me the difference between the genuine Ford filter fitted at the main dealer and the aftermarket filter he had just bought. On the aftermarket filter the O ring fitted between 2 raised metal pressings and could go nowhere, on the Ford filter it just sat on the surface. The RAC said that he had never seen a filter like that and wrote me a note to take to the Ford garage suggesting it was faulty. After he had fitted the new filter he checked the oil and it took about 1/2 a litre to the full and he said it would be fine especially since I had only pulled off the drive and seen no warning lights (engine was still fine 6 or 7 years later when I sold it).

Went to Ford who looked at it and went into the stores for another filter which was exactly the same. Said it was perfectly normal. Gave up at that point. But on my way home I drove passed Halfords and checked their filter for the Focus, exactly the same as the one bought by the RAC man with upstands to hold the O ring. Wrote to the garage about it but within a couple of weeks they had been taken over by a national Ford chain and closed the local branch. With no damage done and my only losses being the cost of a filter, 1/2 a litre of oil and some Gunk to clean the drive there was no point pursuing it.

After that the car was always serviced by a local Ford Indy (who actually worked for the Ford dealer that closed) but he only used Mahle filters (wonder why).

Could the OP's oil filter have a similar issue? Different brands and 20 years or so apart thus unlikely.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - Steveieb

Maybe the same reason that one of the contributors on here recommended that the one replacement part I should always get for my Corolla Verso from the Main dealer is the oil filter.

Makes sense as this is such an crucial component and seeing the pattern parts selling so cheaply it makes you wonder about the quality of some of them.

Maybe the same reason that one of the contributors on here recommended that the one replacement part I should always get for my Corolla Verso from the Main dealer is the oil filter.

Makes sense as this is such an crucial component and seeing the pattern parts selling so cheaply it makes you wonder about the quality of some of them.

You misunderstand, read my post again.

It was the genuine Ford filter that caused the issue, the RAC man spotted it immediately. The filter he fitted was fine and the local Ford indy only used Mahle filters which were fine.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - bathtub tom

SWMBO phoned me from her place of work to say the oil light hadn't gone out when she started it. Fortunately I'd drilled it into her to check the warning lights. Oil level was fine. Towed it home, dropped the sump and removed the shells. A couple had minor scuffing, although the crank was fine. The problem was the pump was worn out. Why it had picked that particular moment to cry enough, I've no idea, when there had been no other warning light. One new pump and set of shells and it was good for another few years.

So it looks like the oil filter was a red herring.

The engine was dry of oil because it had been holed when the big end went so kind of the opposite to what a previous poster assumed i.e it lost all the oil because it went 'bang!' it didn't go bang because the oil hadn't been checked and he was running about low on oil. There was no oil warning light and the oil level had recently been checked. It looks like the cars behind were flashing because oil had started pouring out from under the car just as he was pulling over.

As to why the big end went on what is generally considered to be a reliable engine, well that's another matter. Our local garage quite reasonably suggested that we'll never know for sure short of taking the engine apart and examining the various components and even then...

So, as always thanks for the replies and I'll keep you posted on the hunt for a reliable sub £1500 car just a few days before Christmas...should be fun!

The engine was dry of oil because it had been holed when the big end went

If the engine had oil in it when it went bang there would be an almighty oily mess under the bonnet and on the road.

Same would apply if the filter caused the issue.

If there was no sign of oil outside the engine the cause was simple, no oil inside before it went bang.

If the engine had oil in it when it went bang there would be an almighty oily mess under the bonnet and on the road.

If there was no sign of oil outside the engine the cause was simple, no oil inside before it went bang.

There may well have been a significant trail of oil covering the distance between where the noise started coming from the engine and where he finally stopped but given it was on the hard shoulder of the Edinburgh city bypass in the dark at a very busy time he did not retrace his progress down the dual carrigeway just to satisfy his curiosity (sensible lad!) I suspect he may have travelled a few hundred metres before he found somewhere safe to pull over. For what it's worth I did ask him about any oil underneath the car after he stopped and he did describe "a sticky, oily residue" whatever that means. Also, given that there was no oil warning light on (and we know it was working fairly recently) that suggests that the oil level was fine. Also, where did this oil go if it was leaking from a dodgy filter? The car was parked outside my house for the last few weeks with not a trace of oil anywhere.

Anyway, it's all speculation now, the only thing we can say with any degree of certainty is that we'll never know!

There may well have been a significant trail of oil covering the distance between where the noise started coming from the engine and where he finally stopped but given it was on the hard shoulder of the Edinburgh city bypass in the dark at a very busy time he did not retrace his progress down the dual carrigeway just to satisfy his curiosity (sensible lad!) I suspect he may have travelled a few hundred metres before he found somewhere safe to pull over. For what it's worth I did ask him about any oil underneath the car after he stopped and he did describe "a sticky, oily residue" whatever that means. Also, given that there was no oil warning light on (and we know it was working fairly recently) that suggests that the oil level was fine. Also, where did this oil go if it was leaking from a dodgy filter? The car was parked outside my house for the last few weeks with not a trace of oil anywhere.

Anyway, it's all speculation now, the only thing we can say with any degree of certainty is that we'll never know!

Have you checked the engine underbody shield (presuming it has one). Some of the oil would have collected in that from either a blow up or filter issue. If it has one and its dry so was the engine. If there is oil on it there was oil present but it was leaking from somewhere.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - _

One of our neighbours had a Mini on a lease, approching year 3 end it went bang. slightly embarrassed as had NEVER checked the oil.

Car replaced with a Sportage, and have told her to check oil, or get hubby to do it.

He has a Captur 1.o litre on lease, waiting for that to go too...

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - bathtub tom

I had an 'O' series engine that had always been oil tight. Left it on a friends drive and they complained about the oil stain after I left. The twenty mile journey home resulted in the back of the car being coated in engine oil. Fortunately there was enough in it to get me home. The head gasket had an 'O' ring in the high pressure oil feed to the OHC that had failed. The new gasket had a copper insert in the place.

Didn't you love BMC?

Well it's all consigned to history now.

The Kia has been replaced with, drum roll, wait for it....

A Nissan Note 1.6 petrol on an 08 plate!

The backroomers here seem to like them if I remember correctly and it's got a chain cam engine which sounds quite smooth and not rattley from cold.

And yes, I've checked the oil!

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 21/12/2021 at 19:28

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - Xileno

Watch for rust around the battery tray. Might be worth brushing some Waxoyl or equivalent around assuming it's in decent condition to start with.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - Engine just blew up.... wonder why? - SLO76

Well it's all consigned to history now.

The Kia has been replaced with, drum roll, wait for it....

The backroomers here seem to like them if I remember correctly and it's got a chain cam engine which sounds quite smooth and not rattley from cold.

And yes, I've checked the oil!

Yes, the Mk I Note is a a very good little car. As robust as a Honda Jazz but nicer to drive. I rate them highly as cheap runabouts.

Its almost 14 years old, it may be fine but equally the owner could have moved it on because of issues. Lets hope you are lucky.

We tried one in 2008, a 1.6 petrol to replace the 1.8 Focus, wife fancied a taller car for transporting the oldies, supposed to be better. Non starter for us since the seat was too high to get MIL in. But the drive and fit/finish were poor compared to the old Focus, we bought another Focus but the new (1.8 again) one had a chain cam and had better finish etc than the Mk 1.

Edited by thunderbird on 22/12/2021 at 10:27

Its almost 14 years old, it may be fine but equally the owner could have moved it on because of issues. Lets hope you are lucky.

We tried one in 2008, a 1.6 petrol to replace the 1.8 Focus, wife fancied a taller car for transporting the oldies, supposed to be better. Non starter for us since the seat was too high to get MIL in. But the drive and fit/finish were poor compared to the old Focus, we bought another Focus but the new (1.8 again) one had a chain cam and had better finish etc than the Mk 1.

Yes, we did look for a Mk2 focus in his budget locally as we used to own one with the 115 bhp (?hp) 1.6 Vti engine and I agree they are terrific cars to drive. But nothing going sadly. The Note has a decent MOT history and should do as a stopgap for a few months. Only thing that lets it down are the alloys which are the worst I've ever seen, oh yes and the smell of smoke!

Got it for a grand though with 9 months MOT so it's (hopefully) cheap motoring