What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cars written off by Watford road bollards - RichT54

On the BBC website there is a video showing numerous cars getting dramatically written off by a width restriction in a road in Watford.

Apparently it was introduced a decade ago to deter larger vehicles from using the road but regular accidents have occurred in recent months since it was made even narrower.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-59641534

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - Bromptonaut

The police vehicle and the blue van were both probably too large, the latter almost certainly so.

The rest pretty much without exception involve the nearside front being thrown into the air. Presumably vehicle was too far to the left and is caught by the kerb.

Driver error I think; you need to slow right down for those sort of restrictions.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - thunderbird

Perhaps someone should write an article about how many cars/vans actually get through unscathed.

Looking at the video its clearly driver error.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - nick62

It says the council are looking to replace the width restriction with a camera for enforcement..................... I wonder if the Police van would still be "caught-out" in such circumstances?

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - badbusdriver

The 4th 'victim' is a Toyota Aygo, how on earth did they manage to hit the bollards?!

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - Engineer Andy

The 4th 'victim' is a Toyota Aygo, how on earth did they manage to hit the bollards?!

That's what I don't understand - it's a width restriction (the middle lane of the three is solely for emergency vehicles and buses on a right turn to the road in the background on the left of the video), but ALLOWS vehicles narrower than 2.1m wide to pass, so why on Earth does this thing keep going off for vehicles way narrower than 2.1m? It looks more like a 'centre of lane' bollard rather thansomething at the edge to pops up to put the 'offending' car into Knight Rider 'ski mode'. Very strange.

Why not just have what the did before - big girder-like poles that will severely scrap the side of your vehicle, with (as Herts CC is now going to do) a camera to photograph those either taking the centre path or are too wide and scraping the side through the narrow one?

I don't understand the point of the rising bollard, as it obviously can't differentiate between those allowed to pass and those not. What genuis designed or allowed this system to be installed?

Whilst I don't know the road like the back of my hand, I have driven (work/shopping) and been driven (family shopping visits) down this road a few times over the years when the normal route into the centre of town (the St. Albans Road further up the A41 at the 'Dome' roundabout) was blocked/closed or generally conjested.

Maybe it's become more of a rat run in recent years than I remember (admitedly the last time I went down that road was 10 years or so ago).

Why not just have what the did before - big girder-like poles that will severely scrap the side of your vehicle, with (as Herts CC is now going to do) a camera to photograph those either taking the centre path or are too wide and scraping the side through the narrow one?

I don't understand the point of the rising bollard, as it obviously can't differentiate between those allowed to pass and those not. What genuis designed or allowed this system to be installed?

Nothing I've seen shows a rising bollard.

The council, no doubt driven by residents, want to stop the road being used as a 'rat run' for traffic off the A405.

There's a lane through the middle that's designated 'no entry except buses' and is effectively a bus lane. It's presumably used by buses in both directions.

Either side of the bus lane is a chicane for each direction with a 7 foot width restriction. Looks to me as though the cars that come to grief misjudge it/fail to slow down and run too close to the nearside where the kerb and bollard send them into a right flick roll. As you say, one vehicle is an Aygo.

The irony is that, without a camera to police it, oversized vehicles could nip through the bus lane.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - Engineer Andy

Nothing I've seen shows a rising bollard.

The council, no doubt driven by residents, want to stop the road being used as a 'rat run' for traffic off the A405.

There's a lane through the middle that's designated 'no entry except buses' and is effectively a bus lane. It's presumably used by buses in both directions.

Either side of the bus lane is a chicane for each direction with a 7 foot width restriction. Looks to me as though the cars that come to grief misjudge it/fail to slow down and run too close to the nearside where the kerb and bollard send them into a right flick roll. As you say, one vehicle is an Aygo.

The irony is that, without a camera to police it, oversized vehicles could nip through the bus lane.

To me, it looks exactly like this clips with rising bollards. The small cars especially look well inside the width restriction. Very stange. Perhaps the first 'restrcition bollard has been chopped half off or bent over - possibly towards the middle (due to a collision?) and now is almost unseen whereby it catches only the undercarriage of the vehicle which then lifts it off the ground.

Like most people here, I've driven through many a width restriction - admitedly only with one set of bollards - but never seen this sort of thing. Lots of scrapes and smashes on other drivers wing mirrors though. Most cars (mine should) fit between the bollards.

I'm going to let my family (who still go to Watford shopping occasionally) know about this, just in case...

Weird how the council never thought of installing a camera before - I mean, who's to stop anyone from using the centre lane? I had to chuckle at the Plod van though - no way has that getting through.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - jchinuk

Because people judge the "gap" from the driver's side and don't know how close they need to go to avoid the nearside bollards. It's probably got a basis in psychology, but people don't judge the "gap", they judge how near they should be to one side.
Cars written off by Watford road bollards - FP

Here's something similar near me, which has obviously taken a toll on passing vehicles and which has been widened in the process.

tinyurl.com/yckw5u4r

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - Xileno

This not far from me has been the cause of a few damaged cars in recent years:

tinyurl.com/2p8tf845

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - movilogo

The video quality is poor. It hides the spot which is causing the problem. The bushes are covering the place. One needs to take video from the front which would show what exactly happening and who is at fault - council or motorist.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - RichT54

There are photos in this news item:

http://www.watfordlondon.uk/news/crashes-caught-on-video-at-woodmere-width-restriction/

and a video from the site back in 2019 gives a better view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_3xnTNCk8E

Very poor design by council. The third pair seems narrower than front two.

Without a 360 degree camera, which very few cars have, drivers cannot see near side accurately. For this case, precision calculation is necessary.

Both vehicles with problems there are Transits and almost certainly exactly the sort of commercial vehicle the restriction aims to deter.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - Bolt

Both vehicles with problems there are Transits and almost certainly exactly the sort of commercial vehicle the restriction aims to deter.

they don`t look 7 ft to me more like 6ft 6ins, usually transits get through 7ft without problems though 6 poles dont help, usually 2 in my area, according to google maps they are marked as 7 ft

Given the number of deliveries by such vans, surely they should not be the subject of deterence?

Given the number of deliveries by such vans, surely they should not be the subject of deterence?

The object is to deter larger vehicles as through traffic 'rat running'.

Local deliveries are another thing and can probably access the road by other routes.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - FoxyJukebox
You can’t actually see the height of the pavements -but I’m guessing they must be higher than average to create vehicle tipping.
But yes-it’s driver error in all instances.
You can’t actually see the height of the pavements -but I’m guessing they must be higher than average to create vehicle tipping. But yes-it’s driver error in all instances.

Not necessarily, if a car is driven hard enough it will ride up the pole, and iirc this was reported on tv showing a car riding up the pole- accelerating very hard to get past it- only to turn car almost over

I do not remember seeing a width restriction with 3 poles on each side of restriction like they are, one each side yes...which are easy to go through, I still say they are 6ft 6ins not 7ft as signs say???

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - _

There was an explanation in the Watford observer, that on the approch on the left before the restriction there are dropped kerbs which "confuse some drivers"

Personally when I approach restrictions like that I slow down to a crawl to pass.

Some of the speeds appear to be close to the 30mph limit, not much room for error.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - madf

There was an explanation in the Watford observer, that on the approch on the left before the restriction there are dropped kerbs which "confuse some drivers"

Personally when I approach restrictions like that I slow down to a crawl to pass.

Some of the speeds appear to be close to the 30mph limit, not much room for error.

Precisely.

As I have seen a Land Rover Discovery half way up a tree on a straight road 500meters from our house ,there must be lots of poor drivers .. or drunk/under drugs /mobile phones.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - balaban.b

goo.gl/maps/rESNQd9NfAaPQkPo9

pretty close to me actually, I wasn't aware this bollards, on google maps some of the bollards tilted into the road, maybe the google maps camera's perception caused that deviation but it can be easily missed because the pavement line seems alright and wide enough.

What is the legal implication of going via wider bus lane here?

I think in order to prosecute someone for using bus lane the car has to travel a minimum distance using bus lanes. In this case, just for using the middle lane seems shorter than prosecution threshold.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - balaban.b

couldn't cost more than a written-off car and some other possible injuries that may cause further frustration in someone's life.

btw, I found this ibb.co/KyKQR9G another image from google maps, and that ford galaxy's width is 1916 mm, and it seems like a near miss actually, yeah the driver managed to pass however still a bit freaking narrowing that no one would prefer to drive through.

edit: www.confused.com/on-the-road/cost-of-motoring/bus-...0 it says,

What are the penalties for using a bus lane?

If you use a bus lane incorrectly, you could be issued with a penalty charge notice (PCN), which is a fine. The size of the fine varies across the UK. Typically the fines are highest in London and can be well over £100. You usually get a 50% discount if you pay within a certain number of days though. It’s a civil matter rather than a criminal offence, so it's unlikely to involve points on your driving licence and therefore shouldn't impact your car insurance either. But it means that incorrectly using a bus lane can be as needlessly expensive for you as belting past a speed camera or parking illegally.

Edited by balaban.b on 14/12/2021 at 12:22

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - sammy1

Regardless of the width restriction something must be wrong with the design. This has been going on for some 10 years and may be it has come on here before? The destruction of so many vehicles cannot be right and sooner or later someone is going to be seriously injured or killed.

Regardless of the width restriction something must be wrong with the design. This has been going on for some 10 years and may be it has come on here before? The destruction of so many vehicles cannot be right and sooner or later someone is going to be seriously injured or killed.

Or drivers don`t steer straight once the front has started going through between posts, which I have often seen as drivers think they have steered in wrong direction and try to rectify, could be optical illusion as to thinking your not straight and you are, but then not all restrictions have 3 posts each side which is daft anyway imo, 2 is enough and gives wriggle room to get through...

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - misar

I think in order to prosecute someone for using bus lane the car has to travel a minimum distance using bus lanes. In this case, just for using the middle lane seems shorter than prosecution threshold.

If you look at Google Streetview you can see that bus lane law is irrelevant. The lane is clear marked no entry except buses with two signs in each direction.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - Brit_in_Germany

How are the no-entry signs meant to be interpreted though? You could argue that the signs are for all traffic, not just the central bus lane.

The signage is a bit odd as although the words 'Bus Lane' are written on the road the actual restriction sign is No Entry with an exception for busses. That can be a fixed penalty and 3 points.

There have been problems enforcing those signs in the past leading to them being re-signed as Bus Lane with Camera Enforcement.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - RT

There's no concept of a threshold distance in the Road Traffic Acts - like a Stop line, going over the start of a bus lane is an absolute offence.

Edited by RT on 14/12/2021 at 12:41

So there are following options:

[1] Drive carefully so that you don't hit those bollards

[2] Hit the bollard and suffer damage.

[3a] Use bus lane and don't get caught.

[3b] Use bus lane and pay the PCN.

[4] Turn away and use different route.

[1] is best option.

But [3] worth trying and between [2] and [3b], the [3b] is less painful option.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - _

Some transit vans are an inch wider than the gap, but others are only 3 inches narrower.

Question,

How many cars have been damaged twice?

but others are only 3 inches narrower

narrow enough to get through that gap, assuming it is a 7ft gap, looks narrower as there are too many posts in kerb line

Some transit vans are an inch wider than the gap, but others are only 3 inches narrower.

Question,

How many cars have been damaged twice?

More than we might hope? All the width restrictions I have seen locally show the signs of attrition.

A number of the vehicles seem to veer towards the chicane at the last second. Either they misread the road or thought about ignoring the no entry and bottled it.

That would account for them being off line and too fast.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - sammy1

No one should expect to have to thread their car through the eye of a needle. Just what are the upright metal posts for? How can you possibly be expected to get through here in the dark? Surprised nobody hasn't legally challenged this

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - Andrew-T

No one should expect to have to thread their car through the eye of a needle. Just what are the upright metal posts for? How can you possibly be expected to get through here in the dark?

There must be a fair number of drivers whose spatial awareness and vision are not that good anyway. They shouldn't be expected to pass a tricky test between anything harder than a hedge on a country lane.

Cars written off by Watford road bollards - badbusdriver

they don`t look 7 ft to me more like 6ft 6ins, usually transits get through 7ft without problems though 6 poles dont help, usually 2 in my area, according to google maps they are marked as 7 ft

I really can't see that being the case, regardless of how it looks. Can you imagine the lawsuits against the council if the gap was 6'6" rather than 7'?, doesn't bear thinking about!.

If the bollards are deterring traffic other than Watford Rd residents using this road as a short cut or rat run, then they are doing exactly what they are designed to do. Any vehicles destroyed by these bollards have been done so because of the stupidity and impatience of their drivers and nothing more. As has been said, approaching such a narrow pass, one should slow right down to a crawl. If this was being done, any vehicles actually hitting the bollards would suffer a scraped panel or minor bump at the most. And if anybody is seriously injured or killed, this would also be directly because of the stupidity and impatience of the driver.

btw, I found this ibb.co/KyKQR9G another image from google maps, and that ford galaxy's width is 1916 mm, and it seems like a near miss actually, yeah the driver managed to pass however still a bit freaking narrowing that no one would prefer to drive through.

The picture here is deceiving. I'm not saying there is plenty of room, but after a close look, I'd estimate there to be around 10cm between the front tyres and the kerbs (which ties in with the gap being 7' rather than 6'6"). That appears the same both sides which suggests the driver uses the road frequently (possibly a resident) and/or has very good spatial awareness. And again, the purpose of the bollards as to deter anyone using the road who doesn't need to.

No one should expect to have to thread their car through the eye of a needle. Just what are the upright metal posts for? How can you possibly be expected to get through here in the dark? Surprised nobody hasn't legally challenged this

Why not?, should drivers not have spatial awareness?, should they not be aware of the width of their vehicle?. And why would you not be able to get through in the dark if you can get through in daylight?.

The one and only criticism I have of the setup is that the width is not stated in metric, only imperial. Other than that, I have no problem with it.

should they not be aware of the width of their vehicle?. And why would you not be able to get through in the dark if you can get through in daylight?.

Its bad enough some drivers slow to a halt/creep through with a normal 7ft width restriction, ie with just 2 poles one on each side, which means they do not know the width of there own motor, similar to driving into a driveway, some take an age to drive in/on

The one and only criticism I have of the setup is that the width is not stated in metric, only imperial.

really shouldn't matter, if they know their motor, which appears to be a big problem now, not many know their motors and cant manoeuvre very well so its not just width restrictions