2015 Subaru XV DSE Premium - Subaru XV steering rack - Yorkshire Tea

In October 2019 I bought a 2015 Subaru XV as I had already owned five Subaru's which never caused the slightest problem since the first in 1994.

This vehicle had a genuine mileage of just over 32k and service history. The mileage is now just over 42k.

When the MoT was due in September this year, the car failed on broken coil springs which were replaced, the local mechanic asked whether I had noticed resistance in the steering when turning left. I hadn't, but he suggested a problem with the steering rack and to take the car to a Subaru dealer. I did so and they agreed, however the cost of a new rack including fitting was in excess of £2,000. and the only way to detect a fault was to take the rack apart.

iThe local garage removed the rack and sent it to an engineering company who supply refurbished racks at £750.00. A refurb rack has been fitted and the original rack returned with a report on the condition of the pinion.

I am attaching a link to a photo of the rack:

ibb.co/dtjZYtb

I will be contacting Subaru as I feel this is totally unacceptable for a vehicle of this age and mileage and would welcome you opinions too.

Thank you!