What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Outsourcing our brains - wantstolearn

Driving home in early evening gloom the vast majority of cars had their headlights on. Those who didn't were relatively new. I wondered if they were on automatic.

Then it is not your decision to put on lights but a rigid decision making system.

I have concerns about over reliance on technology. I appreciate all the advantages but .....

Any - Outsourcing our brains - mcb100
There isn’t a reliance on automatic lights - all those cars can have their lights manually switched on.
Conversely, on a recent drive I came upon three cars in the dark running on DRL’s only. I’d wager that at least two out of those three had auto lights but had them switched to manual.
Any - Outsourcing our brains - Andrew-T

I have concerns about over reliance on technology. I appreciate all the advantages but .....

I've had those concerns for years. But most of you on here know that already .... It's why our cars are 2008 and 1994 models.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - madf

I've had those concerns for years. But most of you on here know that already .... It's why our cars are 2008 and 1994 models.

I read in Car Mechanics in c 1988 that over reliance on technology especially electronics was a bad thing. In particular the EFI systems on Rover Montegos.

The EFI systems on Montegos were the best bit of the electronics being very reliable. Pity about the mechanics. Don't ask me why I know.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - _

I have this little 4 position switch on the left of the steerin wheel, For lights it has 4 positions.

OFF. Auto headlights, sidelights, dipped beam.

I quite like leaving it on Auto, as I am then sure that the "tail lights" are on when I set off in the dark. I quite quickly got used to the Electric handbrake and the heated seats too.

There are lots of "modern bits" I like, Bluetooth phone connection with handsfree calling.

Some will like the driver aids, some will not.

Each to their own.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - John F

I have this little 4 position switch........

OFF. Auto headlights, sidelights, dipped beam.

Same here. And OFF it where it stays until it is dark. I also turn off the DRLs on bright days. Why? My car is sixteen years old and I intend to keep it indefinitely. Changing failed bulbs might be an expensive hassle. Fortunately I've only ever had to (easily) change one at the back during the last seven years.

I deplore the brainless habit of having headlights on whenever the sun goes in - especially in the rain when all they do is dazzle, especially the newer ones. DRLs are quite sufficient.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - badbusdriver

Driving home in early evening gloom the vast majority of cars had their headlights on. Those who didn't were relatively new. I wondered if they were on automatic.

Then it is not your decision to put on lights but a rigid decision making system.

If they were relatively new they would have DRL's (so very visible, at least from the front) and if the car had auto headlights, and it was dark enough to actually need them on, they would be on.

Our previous car, a Honda Jazz, had auto headlights, but I always bypassed the system and put them on in dull conditions because I don't like them going on and off again as you go under a bridge, past some overhanging trees or whatever. I don't want other cars, maybe waiting to turn, thinking I am flashing my lights at them. I also don't like the fact that with most DLR's, they are just at the front.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - wantstolearn

Yes, I have auto but if I decide then I go manual Last car had drl it was awhile before I realised not on at rear.

Some people become dependent and that is my concern. Any driver may be lazy and not use manual, that is different concern.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - Chris M

My Astra is the first car I've had with DRLs and auto lights. I rather like the auto lights. They come on when I enter a multi storey car park or tunnel and don't turn off for a while when exiting, so little chance of anyone confusing it for a flash. They also come on at this time of year when I'm driving away from a low sun.

Some people become dependent and that is my concern. Any driver may be lazy and not use manual, that is different concern.

I suspect some drivers don't even notice what is happening, they just get in and drive. And maybe wonder why others may be flashing at them ?

Any - Outsourcing our brains - JonestHon

And you would think that lights on new cars are behind another computer, can't car makers sync the auto lights to some calendar/weather app?!, so lights on when the conditions are ripe like weather and time of the year.

I even give them the moniker for free: SmartLights

Any - Outsourcing our brains - RT

And you would think that lights on new cars are behind another computer, can't car makers sync the auto lights to some calendar/weather app?!, so lights on when the conditions are ripe like weather and time of the year.

I even give them the moniker for free: SmartLights

Auto lights use a light sensor so the use of a calendar is pointless - sadly the sensor used by some brands, eg Hyundai, only triggers when it's quite dark and few if any are adjustable.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - catsdad
Switching between cars can be an issue. Especially when the manual light car, such as our Mazda 3 has an auto light dashboard. It gives you the initial impression from the driving seat that the car itself is lit. You need to pay attention.
Having said hat the auto lights on the Golf are pretty good and seem to be a more appropriate level of sensitivity than previous cars. For example they shut off again quickly after passing through heavy shade.
Any - Outsourcing our brains - leaseman

I am probably in a small minority, but whatever car I am driving, I do not move the vehicle until I switch on Dipped headlights. Full Stop.

Auto headlights do not turn themselves on in mist or fog or heavy rain, when illumination is, in my opinion, a potential lifesaver. See and Be Seen.

Yes, MPG may suffer marginally, but I value the safety of my passengers and me above the marginal cost. Have done since 1969, when I passed my driving test, and always will do, no matter what developments occur with technology.

I am probably in a small minority, but whatever car I am driving, I do not move the vehicle until I switch on Dipped headlights. Full Stop.

Auto headlights do not turn themselves on in mist or fog or heavy rain, when illumination is, in my opinion, a potential lifesaver. See and Be Seen.

Yes, MPG may suffer marginally, but I value the safety of my passengers and me above the marginal cost. Have done since 1969, when I passed my driving test, and always will do, no matter what developments occur with technology.

I don't think that is such a small minority and there is certainly nothing wrong with it. While I don't have my headlights on all the time, I do if it is in any way dull or overcast. But when I was driving buses, they were on all the time. I had a 1979 SAAB 99 which had DRL's, and though you could switch them off, I never did. So I suppose that was the start of my putting the lights on more than is typical (in this country anyway).

Any - Outsourcing our brains - Engineer Andy

If they were relatively new they would have DRL's (so very visible, at least from the front) and if the car had auto headlights, and it was dark enough to actually need them on, they would be on.

Our previous car, a Honda Jazz, had auto headlights, but I always bypassed the system and put them on in dull conditions because I don't like them going on and off again as you go under a bridge, past some overhanging trees or whatever. I don't want other cars, maybe waiting to turn, thinking I am flashing my lights at them. I also don't like the fact that with most DLR's, they are just at the front.

My sentiments exactly. I'd rather keep my senses sharp to know when to swtich them on and to remember to do so.

The only real 'auto' function my car has is the ICE volume control, where it has three overarching settings: off and levels 1-3, where it increases the actual volume level (not of the number set on the screen from 1-20, etc) as the speed of the car increases, to offset the additional engine noise. Useful to not distract me by having to constantly change the volume control.

It works ok once you find one of the three settings that suits the car best.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - RickyBoy

We've recently upgraded our '65-plate i10 1.2 Premium for a '71 version.

DRLs fitted to both as standard of course, however, when I walked around the new one a few days after purchasing (when it was parked-up with the engine running) I noticed the DRLs weren't illuminated!

Was about to drop in at the dealership (thinking a fuse might have blown) when I had a quick Google. Apparently the DRLs don't illuminate on the new model when the handbrake is applied – only when it's released!!!

Oh, and, can anybody tell me how to PERMANENTLY disable 'Lane Assist' rather than having to do it every single time you make a journey...

...and how to set the Clock to 24-hrs display as opposed to 12.

Yes, I've RTFM – repeatedly. It's thicker than the bible but as yet... :-)

DRLs fitted to both as standard of course, however, when I walked around the new one a few days after purchasing (when it was parked-up with the engine running) I noticed the DRLs weren't illuminated!

Was about to drop in at the dealership (thinking a fuse might have blown) when I had a quick Google. Apparently the DRLs don't illuminate on the new model when the handbrake is applied – only when it's released!!!

I suppose that does make sense.

A few years ago after my mate bought a new car, he asked me to have a look at the front fog lights because there was something wrong with them. Turned out it had the cheap version the 'cornering lights'. Where the foglight on whatever side you were cornering came on to provide extra light. Nobody at the dealer explained this to him!.

Oh, and, can anybody tell me how to PERMANENTLY disable 'Lane Assist' rather than having to do it every single time you make a journey...

Very unlikely this is possible, most of these 'safety' features default to the 'on' position.

...and how to set the Clock to 24-hrs display as opposed to 12.

Our Suzuki Ignis has two clocks, one on the infotainment screen and another in the instrument display. The one on the infotainment screen is easy enough to change, but the other one is a right faff!.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - MGspannerman

Lan Assist remains switched off in my Avensis, there are buttons to control it but it does not automatically switch to ON when starting up.

<< A few years ago after my mate bought a new car, he asked me to have a look at the front fog lights because there was something wrong with them. Turned out it had the cheap version the 'cornering lights'. Where the foglight on whatever side you were cornering came on to provide extra light. >>

Way back in the mid-60s, a Canadian student colleague had a car (may have been a Simca) whose horn sounded whenever he cornered. It wasn't a built-in feature though, just a short somewhere :-)

Apparently the DRLs don't illuminate on the new model when the handbrake is applied – only when it's released!!!

Does that mean that your DRLs go on and off during a hill-start ? (I realise it may not be easy to find out :-)

Lane Assist in latest Honda Jazz hybrid can be switched off temporarily but restarts on start up to on.

LOTS of complaints from owners on single track roads where lane assist gets confused - tries to stop driving onto verge to allow others to pass. (Fitted to all Audis as standard :-) . Overcome if you signal left - does not resist then.

(Learned from very p"d off owners)

Any - Outsourcing our brains - RickyBoy

I feel their pain!

Another feature (which I've fortunately been able to disable permanently) was an alert when sitting in traffic lights and I didn't set-off immediately.

The i10 told me that" the vehicle in front of you has just moved away (or something similar)."

I've never been 'scolded' by a motor before... :–)

Lane Assist in latest Honda Jazz hybrid can be switched off temporarily but restarts on start up to on.

LOTS of complaints from owners on single track roads where lane assist gets confused - tries to stop driving onto verge to allow others to pass. (Fitted to all Audis as standard :-) . Overcome if you signal left - does not resist then.

(Learned from very p"d off owners)

I wonder what a driver following such a car does when they signal left - I bet some try and overtake and the passing place!

Any - Outsourcing our brains - barney100

Auto lights on both our cars stops you switching on the full beam except to flash them. You have to deploy the manual option to have them on permanently.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - paul 1963

My car has auto lights as well as auto high beam as did my previous car, works a treat, the high beam sensor reacts quicker than I could towards oncoming traffic.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - Terry W

Perhaps we should extend the argument to remove all automated machines from our lives and revert to proper management with human oversight.

Kettles without cut off (wiat ttill it bubbles), central heating systems with no thermostats (throw another stick on the fire if you feel cold), car indicators which don't self cancel (the driver should be in charge), no fire alarms (wait till you see the flames), tyre pressure warnings (wait until the rim grinds on tarmac), spellcheckers (get educated) etc etc.

Not all automated systems will work perfectly in all circumstances - but mostly they produce a better overall result than no automation. That some should work better is part of a learning and improvement process, not an incipient disaster!

Any - Outsourcing our brains - RichT54
Not all automated systems will work perfectly in all circumstances - but mostly they produce a better overall result than no automation. That some should work better is part of a learning and improvement process, not an incipient disaster!

It would be an improvement if the manufacturers always went through the learning and improvement process before they foist their ill conceived systems on their customers.

Kettles without cut off (wiat ttill it bubbles), central heating systems with no thermostats (throw another stick on the fire if you feel cold), car indicators which don't self cancel (the driver should be in charge), no fire alarms (wait till you see the flames), tyre pressure warnings (wait until the rim grinds on tarmac), spellcheckers (get educated) etc etc.

Terry, I realise you are playing Devil's Advocate, but some of your examples are a bit extreme. Kettles, lack of thermostats (which can of course fail) and fire alarms have devices built in to prevent (hopefully) serious mishaps.

As for the others, well. I very often cancel an indicator while turning the wheel, rather than wait for self-cancel to work, because it can be seconds before the wheel returns to straight-ahead'. Tyre pressure warnings I can easily do without as I have managed without them for 60 years. And I dislike being fed American spellings for many words that I have always known how to spell CORRECTLY :-))

Terry, I realise you are playing Devil's Advocate, but some of your examples are a bit extreme. Kettles, lack of thermostats (which can of course fail) and fire alarms have devices built in to prevent (hopefully) serious mishaps.

As for the others, well. I very often cancel an indicator while turning the wheel, rather than wait for self-cancel to work, because it can be seconds before the wheel returns to straight-ahead'. Tyre pressure warnings I can easily do without as I have managed without them for 60 years. And I dislike being fed American spellings for many words that I have always known how to spell CORRECTLY :-))

It bugs me that so many people don't know how to change their spellchecker from US English to UK English, particularly those supposedly more IT-literate than me.

Used to be the case that one of the highlighted threads at the top of the motoring discusion homepage was about not getting too het up about incorrect spelling. Sadly it isn't still there because it would seem there are still many people ignorant of conditions like dyslexia.

Used to be the case that one of the highlighted threads at the top of the motoring discusion homepage was about not getting too het up about incorrect spelling. Sadly it isn't still there because it would seem there are still many people ignorant of conditions like dyslexia.

I don't have an issue with poor spelling, I respect the warnings you refer to - but I can usually tell the difference between poor spelling and use of a US spellchecker - unfortunately in this day and age, too many people use technology blindly and expect others to cope.

<< It bugs me that so many people don't know how to change their spellchecker from US English to UK English, particularly those supposedly more IT-literate than me.

There's no need to feel bugged, RT. I'm fully confident in my spelling ability to do without any spell checker ....

Any - Outsourcing our brains - Grenache

I think this may be due to the fact that the dashboard/speedo/fuel gauge etc is lit up all the time in most cars, so when you get in the car and start it in the dark then you can't tell your lights are not on if you're in town and there are street lights. In the old days the speedo was only lit when the lights were on, so you realised pretty quickly you'd forgotten to put your lights on

Any - Outsourcing our brains - Chris M

Fiats have had a tell-tale indicator on the instruments for years and all the Ford's, Vauxhalls and VAG I've driven in the last decade or so have had an indicator. My Astra shows an indicator when the auto lights are on. What is the problem other than some drivers shouldn't be?

I don't have an issue with poor spelling, I respect the warnings you refer to - but I can usually tell the difference between poor spelling and use of a US spellchecker - unfortunately in this day and age, too many people use technology blindly and expect others to cope.

Be interested to know how you could tell it wasn't someone with dyslexia, but not tech literate enough to know how to change the spell checker from US to UK settings, rather than someone who either doesn't care or couldn't be bothered.

Also, "expect others to cope"?, just how hard is it to read a sentence with the odd word in US English rather than UK English?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/12/2021 at 08:25

Be interested to know how you could tell it wasn't someone with dyslexia, but not tech literate enough to know how to change the spell checker from US to UK settings, rather than someone who either doesn't care or couldn't be bothered.

Also, "expect others to cope"?, just how hard is it to read a sentence with the odd word in US English rather than UK English?.

It's probably best not to continue this particular debate in public.

Any - Outsourcing our brains - Bolt

I think this may be due to the fact that the dashboard/speedo/fuel gauge etc is lit up all the time in most cars, so when you get in the car and start it in the dark then you can't tell your lights are not on if you're in town and there are street lights. In the old days the speedo was only lit when the lights were on, so you realised pretty quickly you'd forgotten to put your lights on

I have come across drivers who don't know where the switch is or how to use it, those that make up excuses about I didnt know my lights weren't on only have to look at either reflections from other cars/the road being lit up or get out the car to look

But there are a lot of drivers who cannot be bothered to check or too ignorant to care, on a late trip last night I see 4 cars over 8 miles that had no lights on or some only using drls, stupid or what???

Any - Outsourcing our brains - galileo

I have come across drivers who don't know where the switch is or how to use it, those that make up excuses about I didnt know my lights weren't on only have to look at either reflections from other cars/the road being lit up or get out the car to look

But there are a lot of drivers who cannot be bothered to check or too ignorant to care, on a late trip last night I see 4 cars over 8 miles that had no lights on or some only using drls, stupid or what???

Watch 'Tipping Point ' one afternoon and you will see displays of unbelievable ignorance and lack of brains among the contestants, most of whom have probably got driving licences.

What is also disturbing is that many of them claim to have jobs you would think needed intelligence - oh, wait a minute, what about MPs and local councillors?

Edited by galileo on 03/12/2021 at 11:49

I don't watch Tipping Point.

Too difficult to understand.

I don't watch Tipping Point.

Too difficult to understand.

((J. Jonah Jameson)) You serious? :-)

Any - Outsourcing our brains - Sofa Spud

The DRLs on my car (VW Group) are, as far as I can tell, the dipped headlights. Also the tail lights are on all the time too. That seems like the sensible solution and it should become standard practice in the motor industry.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 06/12/2021 at 23:48

The DRLs on my car (VW Group) are, as far as I can tell, the dipped headlights. Also the tail lights are on all the time too. That seems like the sensible solution and it should become standard practice in the motor industry.

I never have understood why some cars come with 'side' lights on only and then the tail lights only come on when the dipped front headlights are on. Do the manufacturers think drivers want to only be seen from the front?