What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
phone use when driving - barney100

Happily the use of mobile phones when driving for any reason is to be made illegal with a very few exceptions, £200 fine and six points on your licence. People are pointing out that using a car touchscreen is just as distracting as using a phone and there maybe something in that. You can make a payment by phone at a drive through or toll booth to a card reader or make an emergency call.

phone use when driving - thunderbird

Happily the use of mobile phones when driving for any reason is to be made illegal with a very few exceptions.

It became an offense to use a Mobile Phone whilst driving in 2003. Points and fines have increased during that time.

Me thinks you need to update yourself on the law.

phone use when driving - _

Happily the use of mobile phones when driving for any reason is to be made illegal with a very few exceptions.

It became an offense to use a Mobile Phone whilst driving in 2003. Points and fines have increased during that time.

previously, you could use it as a satnav etc, the list of uses has been added to.

phone use when driving - badbusdriver

It was only an offence to make a (handheld) phone call while driving, not to surf the internet, play a game, or watch TV on your smartphone (while driving) unless it was deemed you were driving dangerously as a result.

A loophole, which has now been closed.

phone use when driving - barney100

Merely pointing out the latest that the use of a mobile whilst driving is expanded to cover scrolling or basically doing any thing with it whilst driving.

phone use when driving - _

Time for Colchester Police to have a few spotters out and traffic stops then,

Bothing much changed here.

phone use when driving - Bolt

No nothing has changed or likely to, we don't see enough Police about and those that are seem more concerned with whats going on in car.

More drivers are using phones from what i have seen than ever was before, so I doubt the law will make any difference, it hasn't done so far and most are very open about it

phone use when driving - thunderbird

previously, you could use it as a satnav etc

I use my phone as a SatNav, Waze is brilliant. On longer trips I use it in conjunction with Android Auto on the Fabia but normally its simply in a hands free cradle on the windscreen.

Are you saying that this will no longer be allowed? Surely using a phone for SatNav is no more dangerous than using a SatNav on a windscreen cradle.

And what about using Bluetooth to enable handsfree calls, is that being banned as well.

Don't use my phone to stream tunes, a USB stick or SD card are far easier than having to pair the car.

phone use when driving - RichT54

previously, you could use it as a satnav etc

I use my phone as a SatNav, Waze is brilliant. On longer trips I use it in conjunction with Android Auto on the Fabia but normally its simply in a hands free cradle on the windscreen.

Are you saying that this will no longer be allowed? Surely using a phone for SatNav is no more dangerous than using a SatNav on a windscreen cradle.

And what about using Bluetooth to enable handsfree calls, is that being banned as well.

Don't use my phone to stream tunes, a USB stick or SD card are far easier than having to pair the car.

It's only hand-held use that's being clamped down on.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/any-use-of-hand-held-mobile-phone-while-driving-to-become-illegal

Police will soon be able to more easily prosecute drivers using a hand-held mobile phone at the wheel after the government strengthens existing laws to further improve road safety.

It is already illegal to text or make a phone call (other than in an emergency) using a hand-held device while driving. Next year, laws will go further to ban drivers from using their phones to take photos or videos, scroll through playlists or play games.

This will mean anyone caught using their hand-held device while driving will face a £200 fixed penalty notice and 6 points on their licence.

Drivers will still be able to continue using a device ‘hands-free’ while driving, such as a sat-nav, if it’s secured in a cradle. They must, however, always take responsibility for their driving and can be charged with an offence if the police find them not to be in proper control of their vehicle.

phone use when driving - Bromptonaut

Explanation here:

www.fleetpoint.org/law-and-legislation/police/traf.../

phone use when driving - Bolt

No nothing has changed or likely to, we don't see enough Police about and those that are seem more concerned with whats going on in car.

More drivers are using phones from what i have seen than ever was before, so I doubt the law will make any difference, it hasn't done so far and most are very open about it

I meant to say more are using phones to the ear than have been in the past and do so regardless of who is around, why they don`t use hands free I have no idea, plenty do as you can normally hear the conversation from several cars away, but then maybe thats why they hold it to ear to be private?

phone use when driving - bathtub tom

I meant to say more are using phones to the ear than have been in the past and do so regardless of who is around, why they don`t use hands free I have no idea, plenty do as you can normally hear the conversation from several cars away, but then maybe thats why they hold it to ear to be private?

I know more people who are incapable of 'pairing' their phone to the car with bluetooth than those that can. Generally speaking, I assume the majority of the driving public are ignorant, ot too lazy to bother 'RTFM'.

I presume a lot of folk use their phones on speaker, because that's what they've seen them do on 'The Apprentice'.

phone use when driving - madf

New tesla model 3 owner (21 plate) fiddling with phone whilst driving.

Clearly not sorted with car..

Easily sorted. Phone and car seized. Phone crushed. Usual fines until car collected.

phone use when driving - Trilogy.

Crush the car instead!