Can you compare these 4x4's ? - GraF

Interested what people think ...these are quite different I know but for around £6k you could buy these 4x4's

2010 Volvo XC60 diesel 100k+ miles

2011 Honda CRV Diesel 80k+ miles

2015 Dacia Duster Diesel or Petrol 60k+ miles

All reasonable tax, mpg

Are they all about the same in terms of reliability, maintenance

Thanks again the the experts and knowledgable !

Can you compare these 4x4's ? - badbusdriver

Interested what people think ...these are quite different I know but for around £6k you could buy these 4x4's

2010 Volvo XC60 diesel 100k+ miles

2011 Honda CRV Diesel 80k+ miles

2015 Dacia Duster Diesel or Petrol 60k+ miles

All reasonable tax, mpg

Are they all about the same in terms of reliability, maintenance

Thanks again the the experts and knowledgable !

Well nothing has changed re the CRV or Duster since your last post, the same comments still apply.

As for the Volvo, that 2.4 diesel is an extremely strong and reliable lump, but parts cost a pretty penny. You will struggle to find a manual though if that matters (still planning to share it with your son?). Given the other requirements re the dogs, personally I'd much rather get an old but loved V70 (with the same engine) which can be had from under £3k. It will be easier for the dogs to get in and out, on a decent quality set of all season tyres, Welsh lanes will cause no issues. And being much cheaper, you won't be unduly concerned if you end up scratching the paint on some bushes getting out the way of a hard charging farmer in a big tractor.

Thanks...

I was bothered by limiting the budget to £3k I was going to end up buying a load of rubbish so with a loan I can stretch to £6k hence the other ones crept in

I had an old Volvo 940 about 5 years ago which I bought for £350. It was a tank but drove great...issue was it was battered an ugly and my wife and kids refused to ever sit in it !

Thanks

Thanks...

I was bothered by limiting the budget to £3k I was going to end up buying a load of rubbish so with a loan I can stretch to £6k hence the other ones crept in

I had an old Volvo 940 about 5 years ago which I bought for £350. It was a tank but drove great...issue was it was battered an ugly and my wife and kids refused to ever sit in it !

Thanks

Beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder, but the V70 is, IMO, a handsome beast!. And to be clear, I am talking about the 2nd gen car from 2000 onwards which was a completely different styling direction for Volvo. 1st gen V70 was just a facelifted 850, still a good looking car IMO, but which had styling more obviously derived from the boxy 740/940.

Thx..but if I go for a V70 2000 onwards and only do say 3-5k miles a year would I still choose a diesel one of these ?

Can you compare these 4x4's ? - SLO76
I wouldn’t touch a DPF equipped diesel SUV on your budget. Can you afford the crippling cost of repairs? A single injector for the Volvo is £250/£300, there’s 5 of them. They’re prone to ancillary belt tensioners failing which can throw the timing belt also so factor in £550/£600 to do the belts if you’ve no cast iron proof they’ve been done in the last 5yrs, they almost certainly will be overdue. These aren’t the simple and robust Volvos of old I’m afraid, they’re extremely expensive to maintain so don’t touch if money is any sort of issue. Tyres are a fortune too.

The CRV can be ok as far as SUV’s go but the 100k plus example you’ll get for £6k will be nearing that costly and unreliable stage of its life. The petrol is less likely to go wrong but a Mk III petrol will be lucky to better 28mpg day to day. Again not a good car on a budget.

The Dacia isn’t great with the 1.6 petrol, the performance is flat and they’re not brilliant on fuel. The 1.5 diesel can be good but again any cheap diesel is a risk. A friend at work bought an early example last year and is currently awaiting a replacement engine via the surprisingly decent warranty he got with the car after the original expired at less than 90,000 miles.

Unless you really need something that sits high I’d stick with mass market petrol hatches, saloons and estates.

Thx..but if I go for a V70 2000 onwards and only do say 3-5k miles a year would I still choose a diesel one of these ?

With such a low mileage?, I wouldn't myself. The economy benefits of diesel over petrol would be very little. Also, less to go wrong on the petrol!.

I guess this is why I asked the original question way back when !

Trying to find a big boot estate/suv that my kids feel they can drive could be wishful thinking and even then if I want to choose petrol I am going to be stung with high tax and/or low mpg

Maybe my original thought is not too bad...buy a cheap estate for the dogs which I will mainly drive and a nice reliable hatchback ( corolla or similar ) for us all to drive and the kids to use to go to uni

Yes I know I will be paying 2 taxes but insurance for me ( oldish..lol ) will be less than £150 per year

That way I can avoid diesel all together ?

Can you compare these 4x4's ? - SLO76
Could do. An old Toyota Avensis, Accord, Ford Focus/Mondeo or Astra estate would make a good cheap dog mobile. Then spend the rest on a simple petrol engined hatchback with cheap insurance for the kids.
Can you compare these 4x4's ? - Theophilus

Maybe my original thought is not too bad...buy a cheap estate for the dogs which I will mainly drive and a nice reliable hatchback ( corolla or similar ) for us all to drive and the kids to use to go to uni

Yes I know I will be paying 2 taxes but insurance for me ( oldish..lol ) will be less than £150 per year

Just be aware that if "the kids are using .... to go to uni" you may find that if you are named as the main driver you might face the issue of "fronting" and the insurance invalid.

Can you compare these 4x4's ? - RT

Just be aware that if "the kids are using .... to go to uni" you may find that if you are named as the main driver you might face the issue of "fronting" and the insurance invalid.

It's not difficult to avoid "fronting" - just tell the insurer honestly who's likely to be the main driver.