What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - Halmerend
Drove a Q5 with matrix led headlights tonight in that awful weather. Have to say they are pretty impressive, particularly on auto full beam. Didn’t get flashed once on the M6 or a roads either so I assume people weren’t dazzled by them.

Edited by RobertT on 26/11/2021 at 23:03

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - JonestHon

I noticed that in some bad weather not long ago a VW EV was coming on the opposite side and although it had one of those very bright white LED's the pattern was somewhat low so didn't dazzled me. That was the exception.

For what it is, I really can't see the point of these bright LED's, on A and B roads where the car elevation is dynamic these always causing me dazzling no matter what.

Regular halogen bulbs from the last 15 years were not bad imho, giving reasonable amount of light and didn't dazzle. Why do we need these bright white lights on every new car? Is it technology for technology sake?

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - mcb100
Big fan of active LED’s, the ability to stay on main beam in areas of the road that don’t cause dazzle, but the car switching off the individual LED’s that would cause issues for other traffic. Each headlight contains 80-100 individual LED’s.
It’s a little disconcerting at first to see a constantly changing spread of light ahead of you, but very effective.
As to why LED’s as opposed to halogen headlights, they’re more adaptable (as above), lower power consumption, and the colour temperature is closer to daylight, meaning they’re easier on the eye as a driver.
Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - JonestHon
Big fan of active LED’s, the ability to stay on main beam in areas of the road that don’t cause dazzle, but the car switching off the individual LED’s that would cause issues for other traffic. Each headlight contains 80-100 individual LED’s. It’s a little disconcerting at first to see a constantly changing spread of light ahead of you, but very effective. As to why LED’s as opposed to halogen headlights, they’re more adaptable (as above), lower power consumption, and the colour temperature is closer to daylight, meaning they’re easier on the eye as a driver.

Understood, but none of this worth dazzling the coming traffic by simply having brighter headlights (adaptive or not, LED's are way brighter than halogen). The priority should be inclusive of all road users and not based of car manufacturers for ever pushing more tech at any opportunity, even if its beneficial or not.

Yesterday I was blinded by a push bike ffs.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - sammy1

Some of these ultra bright day time running lights are now a bit of a nuisance even more so when I am pedestrian

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - Andrew-T
As to why LED’s as opposed to halogen headlights, they’re more adaptable (as above), lower power consumption, and the colour temperature is closer to daylight, meaning they’re easier on the eye as a driver.

As you say there are 80 or more LEDs per lamp, it would seem quite possible to make do with 20 or 30 to reduce the total intensity. IMHO most new lamps are as bright as they are because of continuous leapfrogging by manufacturers. 'See and be seen' is fine, except for everyone else.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - expat
Drove a Q5 with matrix led headlights tonight in that awful weather. Have to say they are pretty impressive, particularly on auto full beam. Didn’t get flashed once on the M6 or a roads either so I assume people weren’t dazzled by them.

It would be interesting to know what they cost to replace if some one breaks one for you in the supermarket car park.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - badbusdriver

It would be interesting to know what they cost to replace if some one breaks one for you in the supermarket car park.

Yes, also these laser headlights you get. I was reading a read test of a car with them, and my thoughts were that, yes, they may well turn night into day, but how much to replace should they get pranged or fail?!

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - mcb100
I can honestly say that I’m not bothered by the brightness of LED lights, given that the majority are self-levelling. The only time it's an issue is when someone flashes main beam at close range as thanks for letting them go first. I’ll settle for s little wave, even if I don’t see it in the dark.
If anyone not sure by what’s meant by active LED headlights, have a look at the Mazda video below showing how the lights react to oncoming traffic.

youtu.be/uhH1FcUTlXM

Edited by mcb100 on 28/11/2021 at 09:19

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - elekie&a/c doctor
Technology progress . £5 for a halogen headlight bulb . £1k upwards for a replacement led headlight unit.
I can honestly say that I’m not bothered by the brightness of LED lights, given that the majority are self-levelling. The only time it's an issue is when someone flashes main beam at close range as thanks for letting them go first. I’ll settle for s little wave, even if I don’t see it in the dark.

I quite often find myself thinking that the approaching vehicle has main beam on but it has turned out that a very slight difference in the angle of the road surface has the dipped beam pointing at my face. Not just me and my (nearly) 50 year old eyes, if I've had someone else in the car, including one of my sons, I've had them complaining that the vehicle coming towards us has the main beam on. Of course going back a few years, they might have been xenon, but these days it is much more likely to be LED.

I can't really complain though, our Suzuki Ignis has LED's, so I might be blinding oncoming traffic myself!. That said, the car is not used very much, and hardly ever in the dark. If I'm driving in the dark, it is much more likely to be in the van, which has halogen bulbs.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - thunderbird

Regular halogen bulbs from the last 15 years were not bad imho, giving reasonable amount of light and didn't dazzle.

Try a Mk 2 Fabia. First time out in ours on a wet winters night (about a week after we bought it) was a terrifying experience after the Mk2 Focus. Intended to get some of the Road Legal uprated bulbs but 2 years later still coping by not using it at night.

It needs a public health warning.

Regular halogen bulbs from the last 15 years were not bad imho, giving reasonable amount of light and didn't dazzle.

Try a Mk 2 Fabia. First time out in ours on a wet winters night (about a week after we bought it) was a terrifying experience after the Mk2 Focus. Intended to get some of the Road Legal uprated bulbs but 2 years later still coping by not using it at night.

It needs a public health warning.

I put upgraded Philips bulbs in my Caddy which do make a noticeable difference and were not that expensive.

I often read complaints about (halogen) headlights in Japanese cars, especially Toyota and Honda for some reason.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - thunderbird

Back in the 70's many cars still had 7" round headlights and most of those used Lucas tungsten sealed beam lamps. They were terrible, seem to remember they were 45W units. Bought a pair of Cibie 7" halogen units which were a direct replacement and a huge improvement. They were swapped into 3 cars over the years before 7" round lamps disappeared on the planet.

How would they compare with Fabia, must be better.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - RT

Back in the 70's many cars still had 7" round headlights and most of those used Lucas tungsten sealed beam lamps. They were terrible, seem to remember they were 45W units. Bought a pair of Cibie 7" halogen units which were a direct replacement and a huge improvement. They were swapped into 3 cars over the years before 7" round lamps disappeared on the planet.

How would they compare with Fabia, must be better.

The Lucas Quadoptic were another popular conversion - they were semi-sealed so halogen bulbs could be used.

My previous car was a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe - as standard the lights were pathetic, both dip and main, but with extra-bright halogens they became very good.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - FiestaOwner
I often read complaints about (halogen) headlights in Japanese cars, especially Toyota and Honda for some reason.

I have experienced this too. I was quite happy with the halogens in my Clio and Fiesta's.

However one of the reason's I had to get rid of my 19 plate Yaris was that you couldn't see with the single(!) fillament halogen headlights in the dark (at this time of the year my 27 mile, each way, is in the dark). Even tried genuine Toyota uprated bulbs and they didn't make the slightest difference.

It shouldn't be legal to sell a car with headlights this bad! It was after this experience that I deliberately chose a car with LED headlights.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - FiestaOwner
I quite often find myself thinking that the approaching vehicle has main beam on but it has turned out that a very slight difference in the angle of the road surface has the dipped beam pointing at my face. Not just me and my (nearly) 50 year old eyes, if I've had someone else in the car, including one of my sons, I've had them complaining that the vehicle coming towards us has the main beam on. Of course going back a few years, they might have been xenon, but these days it is much more likely to be LED.

I can't really complain though, our Suzuki Ignis has LED's, so I might be blinding oncoming traffic myself!. That said, the car is not used very much, and hardly ever in the dark. If I'm driving in the dark, it is much more likely to be in the van, which has halogen bulbs.

I agree with this BBD. I experience the same. Like you, my current car (SEAT Ibiza) also has LED's

Edited by FiestaOwner on 28/11/2021 at 10:52

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - bathtub tom

Don't know what folk are complaining about. My first motorbike was a '57 with six volt electrics!

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - Andrew-T

Don't know what folk are complaining about. My first motorbike was a '57 with six volt electrics!

6 volts doesn't necessarily make less illumination - back in the 60s many (maybe most) large American cars had 6-volt electrics.

Audi Q5 - Matrix Led headlights - Ethan Edwards

My Mokka e has the "Intellilux" active LED headlights. Yep if they need replacing going to be painful. That said they auto dip to avoid dazzling people but are superb bright coverage. Its the coming thing because they use so much less power and with EVs that's important.