What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Angela Wilkins

I've got a 68 plate Honda Civic. A week ago I was parked in a local car park with 2 12 year old girls sat in the back. I left the keys in the ignition and left for 5 minutes to go to the shop. I was parked on quite a slope! As I walked back to the car 5 minutes later, I witnessed it rolling down and hit a low brick wall, causing £3400 of damage to the car! The girls said the car made a loud beep, the dashboard flashed and then the car started moving. A local Honda dealership has run diagnostics and said there are no faults! What other explanation is there for this to happen? If the brake hadn't been on it would have rolled before I'd even got out of the car. Ive6put in a complaint to Honda UK but haven't heard anything yet. Any advice?

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Falkirk Bairn

Parking on a slope

Possibly cooling discs

Unless the ground is flat as a billiard table

1) Leave it in any gear. P if automatic

2) Turn wheels into kerb.

Either / better both would have prevented runaway car

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - bathtub tom

You left the keys in the car with two 12-year-old girls. Does it usually beep when you get in, insert the key and release the brake?

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - sammy1

Was the electronic brake still on when the car moved, they usually have a little indicator light when it is applied. Could one of the girls been messing with the car, silly to leave the key in the ignition. Could there have been any outside electronic interference but how would you prove this. Electronic hand brakes are becoming the norm and are usually fool proof

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Bolt

I gather it has happened before but whether this is the same problem I have no idea... and was caused when ignition is switched off with handbrake applied too quick after.

the software has a problem and causes the handbrake to release ( I have no idea if all cars have this problem though it has been reported on some 2016-2018 cars)

try looking up on google Honda EPB failure there are reports on there

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Andrew-T

.... silly to leave the key in the ignition ....

Says it all. Hopefully a lesson learnt - the whole vehicle could have been driven away, as happened recently to Rory Cellan-Jones' dog-walker's van containing 6 dogs.

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Brit_in_Germany

Does it have start-stop? A couple of times I thought I'd switched mine off it was just the engine cutting out. Not sure what happens if you leave it in that state but I could well believe that the engine cuts back in at some point.

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Chris M

My Astra K has stop start but a manual handbrake. It will restart at some point if it feels like it but also if you open the drivers door. I assume so that you don't walk off and leave it unattended, which is of course against the rules.

Personally I wouldn't have left the keys in the ignition with children in the car, not because I wouldn't trust them, but because some scally may nick the car with or without the kids.

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Engineer Andy

This incident to me has the ring of the Bart Simpson 'I didn't do it' for the kids in the car.

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - mcb100
I can’t remember from the last time I drove a Honda, but do they need the brake pedal depressed before the EPB will release?

Edited by mcb100 on 22/11/2021 at 14:06

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - John F

What other explanation is there for this to happen?

The obvious one - naughty girls.

Any advice?

Never leave 12yr olds in charge of a car and its keys. I vaguely remember when I was around that age when.........er, best stop here.....

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - catsdad

I think you have to have the drivers seatbelt engaged to be able to release the Civic EPB. I am not sure as there seem to be a variety of safety features that differ across makes.

Honda Civic Sport 1.5 - Electric brake failure - Bolt

I think you have to have the drivers seatbelt engaged to be able to release the Civic EPB. I am not sure as there seem to be a variety of safety features that differ across makes.

Just press brake pedal and push EPB button down, it wont release if the brake pedal is not pressed, though the fault was in the vehicle stability assist ECU software originally.

as before if the ignition is turned off and switch pressed too soon the software released the brake..... the software needed a few seconds to work according to reports, which was rectified in software update, needs checking though in case it happens again