What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Trilogy.

I'm contemplating selling my Mercedes W124 estate. I'd not realised until this morning the 406 estate was available with the V6 engine. Does anyone have experience of driving either an auto or manual? Interested to know if the V6 suits the car's handling etc.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - badbusdriver

I wouldn't get too excited trilogy, it's one thing to decide you want one, but finding one is an altogether different task!. There is a grand total of one on Autotrader (the same one, along with a saloon, is on Ebay)

As with all 406's, they handle brilliantly. Fluid, loping gait and the ability to carry huge speed across country. The 406 was quite a heavy car for its day, so going fast in the lower powered models was very much an exercise in conserving momentum. But even with that 210bhp V6, the auto was takes well over 9 seconds to 60 with the manual doing it in just over 8.

Also, just to clarify, I have not driven a V6 estate (or saloon), but I have driven the beautiful Pininfarina penned coupe. But I believe they are exactly the same under the skin.

Incidentally, that same engine was available (at least on paper) in the Renault Laguna, (both hatchback and estate) and the Citroen C5 (again, both hatchback and estate). None of the Laguna's available on Autotrader, but one C5 hatchback is on there,

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Will deBeast

>> I wouldn't get too excited trilogy, it's one thing to decide you want one, but finding one is an altogether different task!.

I've just checked mine (P571XTX, registered June 1997) and from the MOT history it looks as if it died back in 2006-7 at around 168,409 miles.

I guess a big petrol V6 can struggle in the bangernomics stage of its life.

I had a V6 estate as a company car back when they were new.

I loved the fact that it looked like a normal car, but went like a rocket. I seem to recall an average of 21-22mpg, but I had a fuel card so it didn't matter to me. I was also a fairly fast driver back then.

Handling was fine, as I recall. I'd come from a Mk1 mondeo estate, and it wasn't noticeably any worse.

I replaced it with a saab 95 aero which I hated. I should have kept the peugeot.

What went wrong? In three years/80,000 miles just a leak on the power steering. Oh, and kwikfit continually had trouble balancing the wheels - it had to go back to the dealer to have them done at least once.

A great high speed tourer.

Edited by Will deBeast on 20/11/2021 at 08:17

The one on the ebay link above seems to have velour seats. Mine definitely had leather.

I've just done a quick google. It seems mine was in 'executive' trim.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Xileno

The V6 must be quite high on road tax, certainly worth checking out.

The V6 must be quite high on road tax, certainly worth checking out.

Not really, the youngest 406 estate will be 2003/2004 (the sole candidate on Autotrader and Ebay is a 2001), so it avoids the high prices for post March 2006. It would be £340 if paid in one go or £357 if paid by direct debit over 12 months.

Here is a 'Furious Driving' YouTube video on the 406 V6 saloon from 7 months ago,

watch

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Terry W

Evidence of a true petrol head - a desire to buy a 20 year old, rare, mostly forgetten, low mpg, high miles, when new handled and performed well, car.

If you are up to speed on DiY maintenance and repairs, and don't drive many miles, the enjoyment and satisfaction may exceed the hassle.

Otherwise most of us call such a vehicle "money pit".

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Andrew-T

Evidence of a true petrol head - a desire to buy a 20 year old, rare, mostly forgotten, low mpg, high miles, when new handled and performed well, car. If you are up to speed on DiY maintenance and repairs, and don't drive many miles, the enjoyment and satisfaction may exceed the hassle. Otherwise most of us call such a vehicle "money pit".

I suppose I might fit your description after buying my 1994 306 a couple of years ago, tho these days I tend to pay others to do anything more than very basic maintenance. But I don't think I have ever been a petrolhead. For various reasons I only do about 1000-1500 miles a year, and after quickly spending about £300 on second-hand parts, no money has gone into the pit beyond fuel, tax and insurance. Admittedly the car has only covered 79K.

So you are welcome to your stereotypes.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - SLO76
Never driven the rare V6 but the diesels were fantastic big cars. Excellent comfort, very durable engines and long lasting bodywork. I’d pick a tidy late 2.0 HDi diesel instead if you can find a good one. It’s plenty of torque and will do 50mpg easy enough.

Thanks for all the feedback. Enjoying the 6 cylinder Merc has made me desire another, hence the attraction of the Peugeot. I'd only drive it a couple of thousand miles a year so fuel consumption isn't a big issue. Will seek out 'Furious Driving's' review. I've driven a 2.0 HDI, was greatly impressed by it, apart from the poor load space, which meant I had successive MK1 Focus estates and enjoyed both immensely.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Xileno

What about a Rover 75 V6? More to choose from on Autotrader. Some quite stiff prices being asked for nice examples, particularly early models before the cost-cutting set in. You probably wouldn't lose much as long as you keep it in good nick. Closer to the Merc than the Peugeot in its attributes.

Thanks for the 75 suggestion. I've driven one, not impressed, too much about it would annoy me.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Metropolis.
Jaguar X-Type 3.0 estate? Some very tidy ones on autotrader
Jaguar X-Type 3.0 estate? Some very tidy ones on autotrader

I like them, sadly rust seems to be an issue, and VED is over 500 pounds.

Edited by Trilogy. on 20/11/2021 at 23:16

Subaru Legacy or Outback 3.0 (pre-2006 for the £340 tax)?

Thanks for all the alternative suggestions. I already have a short list, just biding my time for the right car to come up for sale. I'm in no hurry to part with the W124. :-)

Edited by Trilogy. on 21/11/2021 at 07:52

Thanks for all the alternative suggestions. I already have a short list, just biding my time for the right car to come up for sale. I'm in no hurry to part with the W124. :-)

Nor should you (unless there is something wrong with it), personally I'd sooner have a good 6 cyl W124 estate than any of the others mentioned!. Out of curiosity, which engine does yours have?.

Over the last year or so I've had a real hankering for a nice 190, and while (perhaps weirdly?) it is actually a 2.5d I really want, this 2.6 has been on Autotrader for a bit now and I've looked (longingly) at it a few times!.

The styling of the W201 (190) and the W124 E Class is just sublime. Discreet, handsome and classy with no unnecessary embellishments, they are (IMO) the very epitome of good taste!. Not like cars nowadays, the vast majority of which are 'over-styled' to the point of looking like a caricature.

BBD,

It's an E300D multivalve estate. I'm only going to sell it because I fancy a change, owned for ten and a half years.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Sparrow

I had a Vauxhall Vectra estate 2.5 litre. That was a V6 as far as I recall. It was a lovely machine, had it from 1997 to 2000. It was replaced by an old shape V70 run out model with loads of extras but that didn't better the Vauxhall. It was an SRi Vectra, but unlike the 2 lite 4 cylinder models, didn't have rock hard suspension. It did 80,000 miles in those three years and I don't remember much if anything going wrong with it. Those days will soon be over.

Edited by Sparrow on 21/11/2021 at 10:35

I had a Vauxhall Vectra estate 2.5 litre. That was a V6 as far as I recall. It was a lovely machine, had it from 1997 to 2000. It was replaced by an old shape V70 run out model with loads of extras but that didn't better the Vauxhall. It was an SRi Vectra, but unlike the 2 lite 4 cylinder models, didn't have rock hard suspension. It did 80,000 miles in those three years and I don't remember much if anything going wrong with it. Those days will soon be over.

I worked at a SAAB dealer when the 'classic' 900 was replaced by the Vauxhall based version. First example we got was a metallic green V6 SE auto with the exact same engine as your Vectra.

Drove many miles in it and it was a nice thing with fab seats and a creamy growl, but I'd still rather have the (SAAB engined) turbo version.

BBD,

It's an E300D multivalve estate. I'm only going to sell it because I fancy a change, owned for ten and a half years.

Well you should lose little, if any, money on it. Still a thriving market for any nice W124, which can go for big money!.

Can't help thinking you may end up being disappointed by whatever you get instead. But I understand the desire for a change after a decade!.

Another thought though as I didn't realise yours was a diesel. If you could find one, a Vectra C with the excellent (180bhp) Isuzu 3.0 V6 turbo diesel. Only one estate on Autotrader at the moment, but it looks a nice one,

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - RT

BBD,

Well you should lose little, if any, money on it. Still a thriving market for any nice W124, which can go for big money!.

Can't help thinking you may end up being disappointed by whatever you get instead. But I understand the desire for a change after a decade!.

Another thought though as I didn't realise yours was a diesel. If you could find one, a Vectra C with the excellent (180bhp) Isuzu 3.0 V6 turbo diesel. Only one estate on Autotrader at the moment, but it looks a nice one,

Is the Vauxhall 3.0 V6 diesel actually "excellent"? I've heard it's troublesome and sold in such small numbers that few know how to fix it.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - pd

BBD,

Is the Vauxhall 3.0 V6 diesel actually "excellent"? I've heard it's troublesome and sold in such small numbers that few know how to fix it.

I seems to recall it had a nasty habit of regularly blowing one or both head gaskets.

BBD,

It's definitely gone up in value. Unless I buy a 406 HDi 2.0, it will be a petrol engine car. Never had a Vauxhall, I don't expect to ever buy one.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - artill

I have a 406 V6 saloon. I bought it in December 1999 with 1,500 miles on it. After a few years my father took it over, and a couple of years ago i got it back. So apart from its first 6 months of life i have known it the whole time. Its been very reliable, and its fuel usage really depends how hard you drive it. In normal driving it will easily do 30 mpg, and over 35 on the motorway at the legal limit. Use its power more often and you will get down to 25. City driving all the time will probably get it lower.

Mine is a manual, and the mileage now stands at 162,000. Still has its original clutch, and neither engine or box have been apart for anything. Air con still works too. Oil use is practically nil. Its a very early face lift car, so it has the 194 bhp engine. A few months after the face lift they got the 210 bhp version.

They are very comfortable, and the electric, heated leather seats are still some of the best i have tried. The V6 engine does have an impact on the handling being a heavy-ish lump, but its a great cruiser, just not remotely a sports car. Compared the 405 the 406 never drove as well, but feels live its carved from granite in comparison. They are very obviously front wheel drive, so if you drive them too hard they will understeer a lot, but if you drive like that you have the wrong car.

A friend used to have a 210 bhp estate, and it really didnt feel any different from the passenger seat.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - SLO76
“ Never had a Vauxhall, I don't expect to ever buy one”

I wouldn’t rule out a nice Senator or pre-facelift Omega. Both were brilliant cars.

Arill, thanks for posting - interesting reading.

SLO, Senator isn't an estate, so that's ruled out, although I do quite like them. I'm aware Omegas are very good, underrated by many, but one won't ever be for me.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - johncyprus

Think I’d stick with the W124. Looking back over my 40+ cars I’ve had over the years I’ve sold some good cars after becoming overfamiliar with them and then regretted it. A couple of years ago I was toying with the idea of disposing of my 2001 Merc CLK320 but luckily came to my senses and have now had nearly 8 years of problem free ownership.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Metropolis.
Sounds like the answer here is keep the W124 until a pristine one owner 406 comes up for sale (try www.carandclassic.co.uk/cat/3/ and the local Peugeot dealer who might just get one on trade in). Then you can try and see if you like it, as nothing else will do till then!

I am curious what else is on your shortlist though, or your criteria if any.

Going to be “that guy” now, but if it is an estate, is the W124 actually an S124?

Edited by Metropolis. on 21/11/2021 at 20:30

You're correct estates are S124, just like the coupe are C124, IIRC.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Gibbo_Wirral

What about the Pug 407 estate? The big petrol ones cost a fortune to tax so are as cheap as chips. Like all cars they do suffer age related issues, but all are well documented and fairly cheap and easy to fix. And there's a great community of drivers out there?

If a fortune is over 500 pounds I won't be buying anything in that VED bracket.

Peugeot 406 V6 - What's it like to drive? - Gibbo_Wirral

If a fortune is over 500 pounds I won't be buying anything in that VED bracket.

£585 a year I think

Actually I wouldn't have one even if they were VED free.