What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Why front end is lower? - movilogo

Many cars (hatchback, saloon, SUV etc.), when viewing from side, appear as front end lower than back end.

Is it a deliberate design? If yes why so? Do they expect rear end to go down with passengers over time?

Why front end is lower? - RT

The weight on the front axle varies far less than the rear, so the rear has to cope with lowering with full load.

F1 cars are lower at the front than rear, I suspect for aerodynamics

Why front end is lower? - Andrew-T

So that they look a bit more like a drag-racer ?

Why front end is lower? - mcb100
Purely a styling trick to make them look dynamic, as opposed to static.
Think back to the red Ford Gran Torino used in Starsky & Hutch - the stripe narrowed to a point towards the front of the car. It was an arrow pointing forward, as is the ‘nose down’ look.
Why front end is lower? - badbusdriver

A bigger and heavier car would probably have self levelling rear suspension. So if one of those still has a nose down stance, it will be for aerodynamic reasons, or more specifically, emissions. The difference it makes will be small, but it all helps to lower the overall emissions for the manufacturer, which in turn could avoid huge fines for not meeting the required targets.

TBH, it isn't something I have noticed myself movilogo, can you give some examples?. I went outside and looked down our street but none of the dozen or so cars I could see (including my VW Caddy van) looked like they had a nose down stance.

Re the Gran Torino on Starsky & Hutch, I remember when David Soul was on Top Gear he said it was an awful thing to drive and that the scruffy saloon cars his character drove, were usually faster and better handling!.

Why front end is lower? - movilogo

can you give some examples?

Not that it happens with all cars - but only some cars. I don't have any visuals with me but I searched for some cars on the web and this is one example where I feel front is lower compared to rear.

www.greencarguide.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06...g

Not that it happens with all cars - but only some cars. I don't have any visuals with me but I searched for some cars on the web and this is one example where I feel front is lower compared to rear.

Looking at how the car is positioned on ground which is not even, made me wonder if it looked the same (nose down) viewed from the side on even ground. Found this image which tells a different story!.

2021-toyota-rav4-prime-review.jpg

Why front end is lower? - galileo

Looking at how the car is positioned on ground which is not even, made me wonder if it looked the same (nose down) viewed from the side on even ground. Found this image which tells a different story!.

2021-toyota-rav4-prime-review.jpg

In the first picture the right front wheel is on a lower area of tarmac, the gap between tyre and wheel arch is bigger at the rear than the front, which as suggested explains the 'nose down' appearance.

Why front end is lower? - focussed

A bigger and heavier car would probably have self levelling rear suspension. So if one of those still has a nose down stance, it will be for aerodynamic reasons, or more specifically, emissions. The difference it makes will be small, but it all helps to lower the overall emissions for the manufacturer, which in turn could avoid huge fines for not meeting the required targets.

TBH, it isn't something I have noticed myself movilogo, can you give some examples?. I went outside and looked down our street but none of the dozen or so cars I could see (including my VW Caddy van) looked like they had a nose down stance.

Re the Gran Torino on Starsky & Hutch, I remember when David Soul was on Top Gear he said it was an awful thing to drive and that the scruffy saloon cars his character drove, were usually faster and better handling!.

The Torinos had their rear ends lifted by air shocks and were equipped with "U.S." brand 5-slot aluminum wheels with larger rear tires.

Paul Michael Glaser (Hutch) didn't like the Torino either-

When interviewed about the Torino, which became the de facto "third star", Glaser had no qualms about saying he did not like the car at all. He was quoted as saying "it was huge, it had no pickup, it couldn't handle," and in all of the scenes where he would lock the brakes to stop at a crime scene and bump the car off the curb, Glaser was purposely trying to break the Torino.

As usual in filming there were several identical looking cars, the ones that did the stunts had the 400 cubic inch engine to replace the gutless standard 351 Windsor, the series was filmed in California so the emissions equipment stifled the power on the standard Torinos.

Edited by focussed on 18/11/2021 at 00:09

Why front end is lower? - Engineer Andy

The Torinos had their rear ends lifted by air shocks and were equipped with "U.S." brand 5-slot aluminum wheels with larger rear tires.

Paul Michael Glaser (Hutch) didn't like the Torino either-

When interviewed about the Torino, which became the de facto "third star", Glaser had no qualms about saying he did not like the car at all. He was quoted as saying "it was huge, it had no pickup, it couldn't handle," and in all of the scenes where he would lock the brakes to stop at a crime scene and bump the car off the curb, Glaser was purposely trying to break the Torino.

As usual in filming there were several identical looking cars, the ones that did the stunts had the 400 cubic inch engine to replace the gutless standard 351 Windsor, the series was filmed in California so the emissions equipment stifled the power on the standard Torinos.

Great looking car (enhanced by the legendary paint job) - terrible to drive. The best bit of an otherwise terrible 'love letter' remake movie a few years ago was right at the end of the film when the Real Starsky (actually PMG not David Soul) handed over the keys to Ben Stiller, who then...that put a smile on my face.

Shame about the rest of the film.

Why front end is lower? - Random

It's deliberate, all about stance. Roy Axe improved the look of the Austin Metro by doing this.

It's deliberate, all about stance. Roy Axe improved the look of the Austin Metro by doing this.

I'm not sure he did, it looked like the front suspension had collapsed!

Why front end is lower? - Sofa Spud

Proof that the nose down look isn't everything . . .

www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/1966-76-jensen-.../

Why front end is lower? - Terry W

There may be aerodynamic, handling or weight distribution reasons for a nose down attitude, but mostly it is down to design perceptions.

We associate larger haunches with lean power - true of the big cats (Jaguar, Puma??), canines etc etc. Designs embed bulges and swage lines over rear wheel arches. Few cars come to mind with a smaller rear profile than front - except possibly an Isetta!

Perceptions are all - just reflect on how grille and headlamp treatment influences perceptions and cars take on human characteristics - aggressive, dignified, commanding, friendly etc.

Proof that the nose down look isn't everything . . .

www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/1966-76-jensen-.../

Interesting you mention the Interceptor because the one used in Luther had a very pronounced 'rear down' stance!. Also, that article is a few years old, Interceptor prices are much higher now.

But thinking about the stance of the Luther Interceptor, there was a type of drag racer where either the whole car sat very high, but often just the front. 'Gassers' had this stance to put more weight on the rear axle which in turn would give better traction off the line.

993ba8e8b515ddd1760df9e634978550.jpg