What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Harvey Dowd

I've just test driven a car and had an offer accepted (around £10k). The car was listed on eBay classified along with 12 month MOT, 6 month warranty and even the offer of part exchange. So I assume I am turning up at a dealers.

When I arrive it is a residential address, the guy is selling 2 cars from his drive. I have checked with him and he says he is registered as trade and the sale will be a trade sale. I can see he has a Local Business Facebook page, with a history of selling a handful of cars, all photos from outside his house over the last few years. Not huge amounts of activity on there but a few likes on each post and no bad reviews or complaints. I have run an HPI check on the car which has come up clean and he has said that he will also provide one. If it means anything the guy seems nice and comes across to me as being honest.

Could someone please give me advice on any checks I should do to protect myself? If I'd turned up at a dealership I'd feel super comfortable about the sale, the car looks in great condition, drives great, and although it's not the cheapest deal in the world the price offered aligns with valuations from HPI/Parkers. I'm just a little cautious about his setup selling from his drive (although also sympathetic since I am also work for myself from home!).

Edited by Xileno on 15/11/2021 at 09:28

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Bromptonaut

Presumably he's working from home to save the cost of servicing proper premises. I wonder what his neighbours think?

Assuming your satisfied the car is clear of finance and is what it says it is not a clone then your next question is 'what if'.

What if it proves to be a lemon or suffers a catastrophic technical failure a few months into your ownership? Has he got a workshop and the skills to do ANY sort of repair? I guess any warranty will be an insurance policy and probably riven with exclusions and payment limits.

A 'home dealer' might be OK for a cheap hack car - I used to have such a thing as a 'station car'.

£10k is big money. At that level I'd want the reassurance of a dealership likely to be still there in a few months time. Not necessarily a franchise but at least something with a record at company's house.

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Moodyman

Four of my most recent purchases have been through traders selling from home. Usually their drive.

They were registered and provided a proper VAT invoice. No problems with the cars and not had to use the three months warranty one of them offered. I asked the right questions and did the usual checks as well as the test drive (alone). I must stress that my purchases were in the shed/bangernomics territory (£1500 or below).

Would I do again. Absolutely.

Would I do the same with a £10k purchase and knowing how complex modern cars are. Probably not.

Edited by Moodyman on 15/11/2021 at 11:34

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - SLO76
As a (now ex) home trader myself I would be wanting to know where he sourced the car from. I sold mostly older stock sourced either through word of mouth or via two local dealers who sold their older cars and vans to me, these were typically below £3,000.

A car at £10,000 however is something a larger dealer would retain and retail themselves unless something was wrong with it so you have to ask why they offloaded it to a smaller trader like this or (most likely) punted it through a general auction. As a salesman for a large dealership we never sent a retailable car to auction, it had to have a serious fault, have a mileage discrepancy or poor accident repair.

Buying from a home trader can be perfectly safe with a genuine seller but sadly many are utterly dishonest and most stock is sourced from general auction sales where larger dealers offload junk. Warranties also are worthless unless he’s buying them in from a reputable (rare) third party. Any “guarantee” that isn’t in writing and hasn’t at least a £5,000 claims limit is worthless.

To put it plainly I wouldn’t buy a £10,000 car from a home trader unless it was particularly nice and the service history verified plus a good quality aftermarket warranty on offer.
Used car buying advice - trader working from home - pd

Many dealer groups now have an "all to auction" policy if the car doesn't meet their criteria for retailing which can be brand, mileage, spec, or whatever.

They've done this to stop backhanders from traders to salesmen to call them first on a decent car which used to be pretty common.

Some dealer groups don't, so the skill of buying at auction is knowing your vendor and what their policies are.

Edited by pd on 15/11/2021 at 11:52

“ Many dealer groups now have an "all to auction" policy if the car doesn't meet their criteria for retailing which can be brand, mileage, spec, or whatever.”

Smaller dealers with limited space or prestige franchises may do so but most will retail anything decent up to a decade old. A car at £10k retail wouldn’t typically be offloaded unless it had high mileage, no history or poor paint repairs. You’d need to know where it came from and why a small home trader had it and you’d have no way really of knowing this other than their word.

As a salesman and buyer for a large dealer we wouldn’t send anything of this age or value to auction unless it was likely to cause trouble for us.

There are hardly any small dealership or dealer groups left. They are all large conglomerates these days and all have corporate policies on disposals and the key is knowing what their policies are.

It is all down to the car at the end of the day. An established home seller fine and I suppose you know where you live (which you don't an anonymous salesperson) but do the research. I'd also expect such a seller to be cheaper than a glass palace, if not then it kind of defeats the point.

Must admit I wouldn't want to sell a car I had suspect thoughts about off my driveway.

Hi All. Thanks for the advice. The car is a 2017 facelift Skoda Scout with 110,000 miles @£11.5k.

www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/skoda/skoda-octa.../

HPI/Parkers valuation check says this is near the top end valuation from a dealer - but the car looks and drives immaculate to me, much nicer than others I've seen for similar price (from big dealers). Although some others were older cars with a few less miles.

I would get a 3rd party AA/RAC inspection on it. General tone from here is don't buy it, it seems. Would getting the inspection change anyone's mind?

---

Edit: One more point is that I need to buy a car in the next 2 weeks so can't wait around for the best deal ever - so acknowledge a hit on price for the convenience of finding a car I like quickly.

Edited by Harvey Dowd on 15/11/2021 at 13:56

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Bromptonaut

Hi All. Thanks for the advice. The car is a 2017 facelift Skoda Scout with 110,000 miles @£11.5k.

SLO suggested that £10k cars would normally go on the forecourt. I'd guess that mileage may have been a reason here. Don't know whether they would offer one if it were on the forecourt but in normal circumstances Skoda s/h warranties cannot be extended beyond 100k miles.

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - nellyjak

Would I buy from a home trader.?...YES..(and have done)...would I spend £10K doing it.?...NO.

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - badbusdriver

What engine/gearbox are we talking about?. I wouldn't be at all keen on a 1.6TDI (the engine at the centre of the 'dieselgate' scandal), nor on something with a DSG gearbox, especially the 'dry clutch' version used on less powerful/smaller engined models.

2.0TDI Manual

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Chris M

Edited by Chris M on 15/11/2021 at 15:38

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - sammy1

"""The car is a 2017 facelift Skoda Scout with 110,000 miles @£11.5k.""

If anything goes wrong with the car what sort of warranty are you expecting or will you buy an independent one? I cannot see how an independent like this could possibly cover you for an engine for instance.

He is using this third party warranty (platinum)

momentumwarranties.co.uk/about-us-2/

I certainly can't see many franchised dealers retailing a 110k car even in the current market.

He is using this third party warranty (platinum)

momentumwarranties.co.uk/about-us-2/

There are three levels of cover here, make sure it is the Platinum level and check the claims limit. A poor aftermarket warranty is next to worthless. I have no experience with this firm however, we used RAC policies.
Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Brit_in_Germany

This facebook site doesn't give them glowing reviews.

facebook.com/pg/Momentum-Warranties-LTD-255854551412860/reviews/

“ Hi All. Thanks for the advice. The car is a 2017 facelift Skoda Scout with 110,000 miles @£11.5k.”

There’s the reason why he has it, it’s way too up in the miles and too risky for a traditional dealer to want it. I personally wouldn’t touch a car with 110,000 miles at this money, it’s too much to lose but if you do choose to buy it I’d verify the terms of the warranty as many offer reduced cover past 100,000 miles. I’d recommend a lower mileage petrol car instead.

I’d recommend a lower mileage petrol car instead.

Why petrol out of interest? I am definitely no expert but just from personal experience I have owned diesel Octavias for about 15 years and barely had a problem, I don't think I've ever had an engine related problem. The last one I sold at nearly 200k miles and was still running beautifully. I know others with similar experience.

I’d recommend a lower mileage petrol car instead.

Why petrol out of interest? I am definitely no expert but just from personal experience I have owned diesel Octavias for about 15 years and barely had a problem, I don't think I've ever had an engine related problem. The last one I sold at nearly 200k miles and was still running beautifully. I know others with similar experience.

They’re decent cars but they’re not as robust as the older Octavia’s. You’ll notice the taxi trade are increasingly moving away from them but that’s more to do with reliability issues on the 1.6 diesels. Emissions control equipment and more complex fuelling systems take their toll on long term reliability and you’re buying just at the mileage when things start to go wrong plus depreciation will be heavy if you sink over £10k into a car with 110,000 miles up. A more economical and much more reliable option over the long term would be a lower mileage petrol Mazda 6, Mazda 3, Honda Civic or Toyota Auris/Avensis. But it’s all down to what you personally want. I’d suggest finding more money and buying from a reputable dealer with premises and workshop facilities, preferably a part exchange instead of a high mileage auction bought car that’ll drop heavily in value and offer much potential for expensive woe.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/11/2021 at 19:04

Check that the timing belt, tensioner and water pump have been changed or factor in around £350 to have it done. I’ll wager it’s not been. It’s 5yrs or around 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Don’t accept anyone’s word look for a receipt or verify with the servicing garage if it shows up on the service history. It’s not uncommon for dishonest traders to simply fiddle with the service history.
Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Andrew-T

Now we know the mileage it explains why the car is for sale where it is. When the leading digit on the odometer changes from 0 to 1, most owners think it's time to change, but if you are happy with the car's history and its price, go ahead, but make sure that all the parts that should be changed at 100k have been changed !

Then you could ask to waive the cost of the warranty (which you have paid for, and may be of limited value) and take the car as is.

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - badbusdriver

Had a look at the reviews for Momentum Warranties on Trust Pilot (can't link the page for some reason). The overall picture looks pretty good with an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 based on more than 1000 reviews. But while I didn't look in detail, a quick look suggests that a lot of the 5 star ratings are based on nothing more than the customer service received while activating the warranty(!). Others did seem to have had work done but didn't specify what (i.e, how big or small an item or job was). But the 1 star reviews (12% of the total) makes for pretty grim reading.

Maybe all aftermarket warranty providers are the same though?

Thanks for that. Yes i saw the same thing, someone in the reviews suggested this was happening because they were offered something for free in order to leave a review. I think most online reviewing is fraught with corruption. I'd maybe request using a different warranty company but as you say I'm not sure if they are all just as crap as each other.

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - _

Basically ANY third party warranty is expensive toilet paper, unless the car is completely and fully serviced. Also It won't cover wear and tear and existing faults.

Save your money and buy a new car, even on a PCP and get a manufacturers warranty for 3 5 or 7 years..

No way would i consider this or advise anyone to get it.

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/11/2021 at 19:25

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - Big John

The Scout version has the Haldex 4x4 that has strict servicing requirements (oil/filter every 40k?) - If this hasn't been done walk away. Any repairs usually mega bucks.

Is it auto as well?

Edited by Big John on 15/11/2021 at 23:00

Thanks. Full service history from Skoda, will double check Haldex.

Manual gearbox.

Thanks all for the advice. After a sleepless night agonising about this sale, I've decided not to go ahead. My gut was the guy was honest and this might well be a good option for someone with more experience but clearly I'd be foolish to ignore advice when I have very little. I'll look for something at a more established dealership.

Used car buying advice - trader working from home - paul 1963
....wise choice.