What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 6 diesel estate views - NAthan smith
Looking at a Mazda 6 estate around 2013 2014 diesel. Most have done around 90-110k for around £7000-£8000, Not too bothered about manual or auto but what should I be looking out for on these? Not interested in the petrol version
Thanks
Mazda 6 diesel estate views - badbusdriver
Looking at a Mazda 6 estate around 2013 2014 diesel. Most have done around 90-110k for around £7000-£8000, Not too bothered about manual or auto but what should I be looking out for on these? Not interested in the petrol version Thanks

Absolutely on no account should you buy one of these. The 2.2 Mazda diesel has a terrible reputation for failures!

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - nellyjak

As above...highly likely you will be buying into a world of pain.

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - craig-pd130

As above, Mazda's 2.2 litre diesel from 2010 to 2014 has an appalling reputation, with problems including constant oil dilution leading to either destroyed crankshafts or runaway engines; blocked DPFs; timing chain failure and more. And the post 2014 diesel cars are only a little better.

You could argue that "if it's lasted 7 or 8 years and done nearly 100K miles, it should be fine," but it will be a ticking time bomb.

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - SLO76
The skyactiv petrol is a great car and decently economical too but sadly the 2.2 Skyactiv-D diesel is fragile and one to be avoided unless you’re willing and able to lose the full investment. What’s your reasons for wanting a high mileage diesel? What sort of mileage will it typically cover? For whatever reason Mazda just can’t do Diesel engines.

For whatever reason Mazda just can’t do Diesel engines.

Not entirely true SLO, the 2.2 n/a diesel as fitted to (carpet fitters favourite) the E2200 van (amongst others) was indestructible!

;-)

“ Not entirely true SLO, the 2.2 n/a diesel as fitted to (carpet fitters favourite) the E2200 van (amongst others) was indestructible!”

Fair point. Tough old tanks them. To be fair so were the old 2.0 diesels used in the 323 and 626. The supercharged version introduced in 93 (from memory) was very decent but not economical enough to make any inroads to the market. I guess I should retract my statement and say that Mazda can’t make the Skyactiv-D reliable.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/11/2021 at 09:52

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - Grenache

I have one of the earlier models, a 2012 2.2 diesel, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever in 164,000 miles, only routine servicing and wear-and-tear items like wheel bearings. It is not the skyactive one, so cannot comment on that.

Still drives well and averages 56mpg for mainly A-road and motorway driving

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - thunderbird

Our neighbour bought a 63 plate diesel saloon 2 years ago. Self employed does a decent mileage some weeks and little others. At the time I thought he was mad. But 2 years down the line few issues. Just after buying it the engine light came on which was sorted under warranty and a couple of weeks ago the engine light came on again which was diagnosed as a sensor.

He is still happy.

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - Andrew-T

Just shows that reliable examples exist of nearly all models. In the end, when buying a used car, you can only check everything you can, then decide whether to take the plunge.

Just shows that reliable examples exist of nearly all models. In the end, when buying a used car, you can only check everything you can, then decide whether to take the plunge.

It pays to improve your chances by removing high risk models however and the skyactiv-D motor is particularly high risk.
Mazda 6 diesel estate views - Andrew-T

<< It pays to improve your chances by removing high risk models however and the skyactiv-D motor is particularly high risk. >>

True enough if there is a surfeit of possibilities, one can waste too much time chasing them all up. But it depends what you mean by 'pay' - there is always an element of luck when buying used in territory with little worthwhile warranty protection.

“ there is always an element of luck when buying used in territory with little worthwhile warranty protection.”

Yes, there’s always an element of luck but when it comes to offsetting risk with warranty cover you’ll find the cover on offer with a high mileage 7/8yr old car limited. Often claims limits are as low as £500 and hidden in the small print you’ll find much of the riskier items excluded. The majority of aftermarket used car warranties are simply not fit for purpose.

I have one of the earlier models, a 2012 2.2 diesel, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever in 164,000 miles, only routine servicing and wear-and-tear items like wheel bearings. It is not the skyactive one, so cannot comment on that.

Still drives well and averages 56mpg for mainly A-road and motorway driving

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our neighbour bought a 63 plate diesel saloon 2 years ago. Self employed does a decent mileage some weeks and little others. At the time I thought he was mad. But 2 years down the line few issues. Just after buying it the engine light came on which was sorted under warranty and a couple of weeks ago the engine light came on again which was diagnosed as a sensor.

He is still happy.

The problems with the 2.2 diesel seem to be mainly related to using it for short, 'stop start', urban running, which seem cause more problems than most.

If you do the kind of running best suited for diesel, the engine is probably going to be fine. But if buying a car the age that the OP is looking at, how would you determine this?.

You could get lucky, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - mcb100
Check it’s had a recall for camshaft wear. On a batch of these engines in your age range there was a material incompatibility between camshaft and followers, leading to swarf getting into places it didn’t really want to be - principally the turbo, with expensive consequences.
Mazda 6 diesel estate views - paul 1963

Couple down the road from me have got one, looks ok but sounds rough, I've never asked why but he seems to regularly have it up on stands with the front wheels off?

<< It pays to improve your chances by removing high risk models however and the skyactiv-D motor is particularly high risk. >>

True enough if there is a surfeit of possibilities, one can waste too much time chasing them all up. But it depends what you mean by 'pay' - there is always an element of luck when buying used in territory with little worthwhile warranty protection.

That is pretty much exactly the point, buying any used car is going to be a gamble. So why add another element by choosing a car with well known problems?.

If you really want, or need a diesel, there are 'less risky' options than the Mazda.

Mazda 6 diesel estate views - Brit_in_Germany

I have the feeling that old reputations once made tend to stick. The diesels of around the 2004 vintage had a reputation for engine run away due to the dpf regeneration cycles failing. After that, around the 2009 era, there was a reputation for the oil strainer becoming blocked by carbon coming from the injectors. Could it be that the more modern engines, i.e. SkyActive, have overcome these issues in the main but are tarnished by their predecessors?

I have the feeling that old reputations once made tend to stick. The diesels of around the 2004 vintage had a reputation for engine run away due to the dpf regeneration cycles failing. After that, around the 2009 era, there was a reputation for the oil strainer becoming blocked by carbon coming from the injectors. Could it be that the more modern engines, i.e. SkyActive, have overcome these issues in the main but are tarnished by their predecessors?

Ten minutes spent googling Mazda Skyactiv-D engine failures will reveal plenty of related woe. This simply isn’t a robust design, it is unknown if later versions will prove to be better. I wouldn’t touch a car with a poor reputation for longevity. Why invite the potential for costly failure?
Mazda 6 diesel estate views - NAthan smith
Right well the general consensus is a no then! I realise any car can have issues from 120k super car to a £2000 banger. However l, I will continue my search!
Right well the general consensus is a no then! I realise any car can have issues from 120k super car to a £2000 banger. However l, I will continue my search!

Wise and yes any car no matter how well made or robust the design can go wrong but when shopping used and on a limited budget it’s wise to limit that risk as much as possible by keeping things as simple as possible. I would stick with petrol unless you’re looking at cars under 5yrs/50k old but if you absolutely must have a diesel estate at this money I’d point you to the Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (manual) the Honda Accord 2.2 DTEC or the pre-facelift Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D. These all can still go expensively wrong but they’re all equally capable of big miles if looked after. Just don’t expect not to be stung with the occasional big bill. All three have engines that've proven themselves but that in itself means that most are taken by the taxi trade or used as mega mile workhorses so finding one with sensible miles up is a challenge. The Avensis with the 1.8 VVT petrol is very decent on fuel and mechanically bombproof but it does lack torque meaning a quick flick of the wrist and a fair bit of revs are required for overtaking.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/11/2021 at 16:21