What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Should I view second hand cold or warm - Shane Fitzgerald

Viewing a second hand car, salesman wants me to ring ahead of time Tu let them know I'm on my way. I've always been told to view cars from cold as temperature can hide a multitude of sins. Is that advice still relevant? Tia

Should I view second hand cold or warm - Andrew-T

I suppose it would show you whether it starts properly - probably the main reason for the advice. Can't see much other advantage.

Should I view second hand cold or warm - _

Depends how old the car is..

Under manufacturers warranty, no problem, 10 year old diesel maybe.

Tell us more, check the MOT history online for free.

can you link the ad?

Should I view second hand cold or warm - pd

Ask them not to start it. You can still ring ahead of time. They probably just want to know when you'll be there so they can make sure someone is available to look after you.

Should I view second hand cold or warm - SLO76

I always like to hear a car start from cold, I’ll usually turn up unannounced or I’ll ask them not to start it beforehand as I want to hear it from stone cold. First thing I do is lift the bonnet and feel if there’s any heat in the engine, if there is then they’ve started it possibly to hide a starting fault, knackered battery or rattling timing chain.

Turn up at a dealer unannounced, don’t give them time to tart the car up and run it. You want to see it warts an all and you want to use the fact that he had to jump start it as leverage in any negotiations, at least for a new battery.

Obviously you can’t turn up at a private sellers house without letting them know you’re coming but again I’d ask to hear it start from cold.

Should I view second hand cold or warm - pd

The way so many dealers operate these days turning up unannounced can lead to a disappointment.

Many keep cars "off site" these days and do not just have spare people around to deal with walk ins.

A decent dealer will keep it cold for you if you ask - although don't expect it to have been through the cleaning bay prior to viewing if that's the case and be patient if its blocked in by 5 cars.

Should I view second hand cold or warm - sammy1

Have you seen the way cars are stacked at some dealers, could take a while to get at the one you are interested in. So they have to start it to move it for a test drive

Should I view second hand cold or warm - bathtub tom

I recall looking at a Micra for my daughter. I was suspicious because the engine was warm. The seller assured me it had only been down the road to buy a newspaper. I liked everything else about the car and negotiated a good price.

When it was cold, the timing chain rattled like a good-un. Not a five minute job or cheap to do.

Lesson learned, never assess cars for family or friends.

“ I recall looking at a Micra for my daughter. I was suspicious because the engine was warm. The seller assured me it had only been down the road to buy a newspaper. I liked everything else about the car and negotiated a good price.

When it was cold, the timing chain rattled like a good-un. Not a five minute job or cheap to do.

Lesson learned, never assess cars for family or friends.”

It’s an age old trick, a warm engine hides many a sin.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/11/2021 at 22:50

Have you seen the way cars are stacked at some dealers, could take a while to get at the one you are interested in. So they have to start it to move it for a test drive

They’ll soon dig it out for you if they smell the scent of a deal. Just be standing next to it when they start it.

Should I view second hand cold or warm - barney100

I understood a cold start showed up faults like the dreaded blue smoke.

Should I view second hand cold or warm - Bolt

I understood a cold start showed up faults like the dreaded blue smoke.

Shows up a lot of things like knocking camshaft, tappet noise, loose timing chain if it has one, and piston slap/miss fires and other problems thats why its always good to listen to a cold start...

Should I view second hand cold or warm - focussed

The first criteria for assessing the condition of any diesel engine is whether it struggles to start when it's cold, in cold weather if possible. If it starts ok without a lot of cranking it's a good indication of it's mechanical condition.

Should I view second hand cold or warm - Andrew-T

If it starts ok without a lot of cranking it's a good indication of it's mechanical condition.

.... and that of the battery !