What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fuel price - barney100

Saw diesel at £1.68 a litre at Fleet services yesterday....ouch. Remember queuing up to buy petrol when it went up to 50p a gallon.

Fuel price - madf

Saw diesel at £1.68 a litre at Fleet services yesterday....ouch. Remember queuing up to buy petrol when it went up to 50p a gallon.

About 12p a gallon when I owned my first car. (2shillings 6pence )

Fuel price - FP

Move over, all you youngsters!

When I passed my test in the autumn of 1962, petrol was 4s 11d per gallon and there was consternation went it went above 5s (= 25p). It rose above 6s later in the 1960s.

The road fund licence was £17 10s p.a. in the mid 1960s.

Mind-boggling cheap though these figures appear, adjustment for inflation makes them look much less appealing. Multiply by about 20 to convert 1965 prices to today's.

P.S. Apologies to Madf - he's obviously of my generation.

Edited by FP on 07/11/2021 at 11:59

Fuel price - FoxyJukebox

It certainly stops the panicking queues . but uninformed cynics might say the lack of delivery guys and the the price rises were all pre-planned anyway.

Fuel price - Andrew-T

Yes, diesel just topped £1.50 at our local station yesterday.

I won't add to the nostalgic comments - we've had quite a few recently on a parallel thread.

Fuel price - Engineer Andy

Just don't check the price of the superfuels, especially after eating/drinking - they might come back up!

Fuel price - John F

Trundled slowly back to Northants from Heathrow four days ago on recently widened but completely congested roads (M25,M1) - funny how this expensive fuel is not nearly expensive enough to have made a noticeable impact on the number of cars on the road.

Fuel price - Xileno

I think people are more likely to cut back on the discretionary spending, which is how recessions start. Got to buy the fuel but don't have to replace the car?

Fuel price - _

And there is me sold the economical stonic for a 1.5 ton SUV brick with a not particularly economical 1.5 litre turbo.

But my back and hips are already happier.

Trundled slowly back to Northants from Heathrow four days ago on recently widened but completely congested roads (M25,M1) - funny how this expensive fuel is not nearly expensive enough to have made a noticeable impact on the number of cars on the road.

That's because the vast majority of people have no other reasonable choice. In the early part of my working life (1997-98), I live in South Herts and worked in North London. The journey by public transport (including walking at each end) took 1.5hrs, whereas the car journey - even in the rush hour and on a school day - took 30 mins tops, mainly because it was the far more direct journey.

Oh, and it cost me (at the time) about 1/3rd the price.

I somehow doubt if the same journey, even in my much larger car I now own, would be anywhere near the cost of going by public transport, never mind the time or terrible journey on cramped buses and tubes.

Fuel price - Andrew-T

Noticed this morning that diesel price has dropped 4p in the last couple of days !!

Noticed this morning that diesel price has dropped 4p in the last couple of days !!

Flipping typical - I just fuelled up a few days ago and won't need any until around Christmas at least. I remember doing the same in late Feb 2020 when petrol cost (locally) 120p/L and then dropped to 105p/L not long after. Well, only going to cost me a fiver, so not the end of the world.

Fuel price - Sparrow

All part of a sneaky plan to help persuade the masses to go electric. Plan won't work as electric cars, in fact all cars, are becoming priced far too high. So we will all continue to drive round in our old cars.

Fuel price - Andrew-T

All part of a sneaky plan to help persuade the masses to go electric.

How do you work that ? Oil companies don't want EVs, and AFAIK the govt hasn't increased fuel tax (yet) ?

All part of a sneaky plan to help persuade the masses to go electric.

How do you work that ? Oil companies don't want EVs, and AFAIK the govt hasn't increased fuel tax (yet) ?

Given that VAT is added to the price of fuel after the fuel duty, etc, HMG has seen a very nice bump in its revenues from petrol and diesel over the past few weeks, despite fuel duty being kept the same (and trumpeted on budget day, as some virtuous thing).

Aren't oil companies investing heavily in so-called green tech to hedge their bets? They certainly like to virtue-signal that they do on TV ads.

Fuel price - Ethan Edwards

In fact the more people that go EV, the less demand for Petrol Diesel there is, eventually that will drive down the price unless HMRC interfere. That's how supply and demand works. You ought to be thanking us actually.... I guess our high prices are due in no small measure from the US decision last year to go from an energy exporter to an energy importer. Greater demand increasing the cost. Thanks Dementia Joe. LGB.

Fuel price - RT

In fact the more people that go EV, the less demand for Petrol Diesel there is, eventually that will drive down the price unless HMRC interfere. That's how supply and demand works. You ought to be thanking us actually.... I guess our high prices are due in no small measure from the US decision last year to go from an energy exporter to an energy importer. Greater demand increasing the cost. Thanks Dementia Joe. LGB.

As more people buy EVs and demand for petrol/diesel fuel goes down, the refineries will simply divert production somewhere else, or even import less foreign fuel - so don't expect lower UK demand for petrol/diesel to drive the price down.

Fuel price - Terry W

Price of oil is driven by international demand and supply.

What we do in the UK bar government intervention on duty and taxation makes little or no difference to the price.

Global demand is likely to fall over the next decade as EVs increasingly replace ICE - not just UK but Europe, US, Japan etc as countries try to come to terms with net zero.

The response of oil producers is unclear will cause them problems - either reduce output to keep the price up, or compete on price to get a bigger share of lower sales volumes. Either way their income will reduce.

All I am unsure of is how much total demand for oil in related to cars, and how much to power generation, shipping, aviation etc which may not reduce demand as rapidly.

Fuel price - Andrew-T

All I am unsure of is how much total demand for oil in related to cars, and how much to power generation, shipping, aviation etc which may not reduce demand as rapidly.

You forgot to include heating oil, whose seasonal demand affects the price of UK diesel.