What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Filler on (OLD) production vehicles? - edlithgow

Finding some on passenger side wing, lifting a bit since there is a bit of rust getting under it. Doesn't look like damage repair, though that side has a dent in the front corner which may have helped loosen it.

Not really a problem, since I'll pick it off and treat,, and something else is going to kill the car anyway (current favorite: no high beam, a definite inspection fail)

I'm a bit surprised though. Doesn't seem a very mass-production thing, even for this low-volume in global terms Taiwan-only vehicle.

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Filler on (OLD) production vehicles? - badbusdriver

Possibly a result of having been damaged at the dealership before being sold?

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Filler on (OLD) production vehicles? - craig-pd130

Possibly a result of having been damaged at the dealership before being sold?

I think this is most likely, or perhaps the final touch to a repair done in the first couple of years of the car's life when the owner didn't want to pay for a new panel.

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Filler on (OLD) production vehicles? - edlithgow

Well, like I said, doesn't look damaged. The bit I pulled off yesterday was on the rim of the wheel arch, and seemed to be to smooth the transition. Not obviously distorted.

Probably never know, and it doesn't matter anyway, but this Wickipedia entry for the third generation Toyota Zace (another Thirld World vehicle that I quite fancy)

"Introduced in this generation was "Full Pressed Body" wagon built by companies appointed by Toyota. This technique were applied to reduce usage of putties up to 2–5 kg (4–11 lb) for each car."

gives some support for it possibly having being done in production.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Kijang