What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Astra K - Intermittent Central Locking - Chris M

N/S/R central locking intermittently won't unlock either from the key or the switch on the drivers door. Works fine using the interior door handle.

So today I removed the door card to have a look. Nothing obviously wrong. There are five wires going to the lock. I'm guessing earth, lock & unlock. But what are the other two? The lock (or a switch within it) operates the interior lights, door open warning indication and of course, the alarm. Would one wire/switch control all these functions? I imagine the operation of central locking is pretty much universal across manufacturers, but I've never had any need to investigate how.

Astra K - Intermittent Central Locking - elekie&a/c doctor
What age is this car ?

Late 2015. First of the K.

Astra K - Intermittent Central Locking - elekie&a/c doctor
Not sure about this model , but previous Astras suffered broken or bad connections in the wiring between the B post and the door that caused erratic central locking faults . May be worth a look . Sadly makers don’t standardise wiring between car variants .

Thanks elekie. Something else to check.

Astra K - Intermittent Central Locking - S40 Man

I have an Astra K too. Nice cars for the money. Did you try Astra K forum?

www.astrakforums.co.uk

Also Facebook groups can be helpful I'm in AstraK/Mk7 owners some good advice there too.

I did a quick search on Astra K forum, but posted here as elekie's advice can be relied upon and I don't do social media, so the Facebook pages are out.

Astra K - Intermittent Central Locking - S40 Man

Are you Northern based?

These guys are based in Newcastle and are highly recommend on Face Book.

intellilinkmods.co.uk/

"Are you Northern based?"

No, South Coast.

I've seen intellilinkmods mentioned on AstraKForum a number of times. It's a shame they can't establish a southern branch. When my son got his early K a few months ago, we didn't realise the early ones didn't come with Android Auto (my mid 2016 one has it). Intellilinkmods can update it, but it's expensive if done remotely. We also discovered at the weekend that the radio isn't RDS, so doesn't auto correct for the clock change :(

Update.

Sourced a 2nd hand lock from a well known auction site and problem solved. Easy job apart from a bit of head scratching on how to remove the external door handle. Didn't want to force anything as it's mostly plastic, but following a bit of Googling, the handle is easily removed. Really straightforward once you know how.