What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Insurance claims on cars - tbg

I'll try to be quick.

Related to another post on here.

My wife is currently going through a no fault claim ( she got hit from behind while stationery ) and we are still looking at getting a second hand car and this accident made me think , is there a way to reliably see if a car I'm interested in has had an insurance claim against it similar to the situation we have going on Ourselves.

Not necessarily a write off but still a decent bump , one that would maybe give second thoughts about buying the car.

Insurance claims on cars - RT

AFAIK ordinary accident repairs aren't recorded - just as a used car may have had major work under warranty which doesn't show anywhere - my previous car had an engine rebuild under warranty at 34,000 and the reason I moved it on at the end of it's warranty but subsequent owners won't have any way of knowing that.

Insurance claims on cars - Will deBeast

My uncle (who owned a major bodywork shop) was visiting. From 30-40 metres away, He observed that our neighbour's 1-year old car had had a major accident. Neighbour was completely unaware and the car had been sold by a main dealer.

Nothing has changed - unless repairs have been done via the dealer network, there will be no record.

Insurance claims on cars - tbg

Damn it.

Thanks for that. I was thinking that. I couldn't see anything on the interweb.

Darn it

Insurance claims on cars - barney100

A car damaged in a collision can be repaired very well. SWMBO's V70 got a good hit five years ago, many many parts and re alignment, took a couple of months due to some parts or other not coming through. Done about 70k in it in the meantime. Just made the Volvo high mileage register.

Insurance claims on cars - Falkirk Bairn

There's a database set up & used by car insurance companies. Heavy damage & write-offs are listed.

However there is a major hole in the scheme.

Many large employers with company fleets of cars & vans only insure the fleet 3rd Party. A company I worked for did that on their 2500 car fleet - they paid something like £1,000 3rd party only per car - Comprehensive was north of £3,000.

They would claim off any 3rd party in an accident in the hope of winning even when it was their driver's fault. They had write-offs but not insurance write-offs and they sold them on to back street body shops for repair - the attraction to the trade buyer was there was no history of the accident damage on the database.

So a "Clean HPI Report" might not be clean and harbour a dark past.